[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

Tell me about cool historical fighters, /his/. Stories of great

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 50
Thread images: 14

File: swordsman-leather-doublet-3.jpg (96KB, 375x375px) Image search: [Google]
swordsman-leather-doublet-3.jpg
96KB, 375x375px
Tell me about cool historical fighters, /his/. Stories of great men who did badass things.
>>
https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/John_of_Bohemia

>hard life of eastern HRE fuckery
>willingly goes into exile possibly so he doesn't get murdered by poles
>generally goes around chilling in France with feudal relatives
>goes blind
>dies at Battle of Crecy a decade later at age 50

>..for all that he was nigh blind, when he understood the order of the battle, he said to them about him: 'Where is the lord Charles my son?' His men said: 'Sir, we cannot tell; we think he be fighting.' Then he said: 'Sirs, ye are my men, my companions and friends in this journey: I require you bring me so far forward, that I may strike one stroke with my sword.' They said they would do his commandment, and to the intent that they should not lose him in the press, they tied all their reins of their bridles each to other and set the king before to accomplish his desire, and so they went on their enemies. The lord Charles of Bohemia his son, who wrote himself king of Almaine and bare the arms, he came in good order to the battle; but when he saw that the matter went awry on their party, he departed, I cannot tell you which way. The king his father was so far forward that he strake a stroke with his sword, yea and more than four, and fought valiantly and so did his company; and they adventured themselves so forward, that they were there all slain, and the next day they were found in the place about the king, and all their horses tied each to other.
>>
File: sadfrog.jpg (26KB, 227x222px) Image search: [Google]
sadfrog.jpg
26KB, 227x222px
>>1798310
That's extremely sad.
>>
File: IMG_3652.jpg (14KB, 216x144px) Image search: [Google]
IMG_3652.jpg
14KB, 216x144px
>>1798310
That's deep
>>
>Pierre Terrail, seigneur de Bayard (1473 – 30 April 1524) was a French soldier, generally known as the Chevalier de Bayard. Throughout the centuries since his death, he has been known as "the knight without fear and beyond reproach"

>At the Battle of Garigliano he single-handedly defended the bridge of the Garigliano against 200 Spaniards, an exploit that brought him such renown that Pope Julius II tried unsuccessfully to entice him into his service.[1]

Absolute manmad who died killed by a handgun while trying to fight "the old way" (with his sword) in an era of change
>>
>>1798245

Favorite pre-modern warrior/fighter? Joan of Arc
She may not have killed anyone herself (she stated in her trial that she preferred carrying her standard to avoid killing anyone), she managed to inspire thousands of men just by showing up. When she led the charge, victory followed. Only by betrayal was she finally stopped. She got injured often from her presence on the front, but she never stopped returning to keep the invading English out of her beloved homeland. Her white armor must have been one hell of a sight. Everyone remarked about her ample bosoms too... so she was a qt 3.14 and a soldier.
http://sourcebooks.fordham.edu/basis/joanofarc-trial.asp

Favorite modern warrior? Simo Hayha
Aka "White Death" because the guy killed over 500 men by himself. These are the ones that were confirmed. He talked about killing some men and their bodies never being recovered or attributed to him. He was asked about how did it feel to kill so many men. His response went something like: I was doing my duty to my country. He even got a website
https://www.simohayha.com/

Favorite military leader? Charlemagne
Fought from 773AD - 806AD on several campaigns. Although many he prepared personally, yet allowed Dukes and generals handle... his personal vendetta against perfidious pagan Saxons is something you can't ignore. Although debated, he apparently had a trained Indian Elephant that he brought with him on the campaign trail. Imagine the look on those pagans' faces when that beast approached with thousands of Franks.
https://www.britannica.com/biography/Charlemagne

Guilty pleasure? Olga of Kiev
>Oh, you killed my husband? Time for genocide
http://www2.stetson.edu/~psteeves/classes/rusprimaryolga.html
>>
>>1798310
>"Sir James, let us go to the front so that I may clash with our enemy!"
>Jesus fucking Christ is this guy serious
>"My lord, it is quite dangerous at the front. We should stand from afar for now."
>"Nay, let us go!"
>John's knights look at eachother like John's gone senile
>well, uh, I guess we'll have to tie ourselves together so as not to lose John
>die
>>
>>1798245
William marshal helped make england as we know it and ended up rich as fuck with a castle and land.

He rose to those heights from the lowly station of "some dickhead knight with no friends, no horse, damage mail, and no experience."

Pure skill in combat (later mixed with skill at politics) saw him rise to be marshal of england and eventually regent.

The man could remember besting 500 men in tournies on his deathbed-no mention of those he defeated in war, though we know he killed Lionhearts horse at one point. He's up there as THE knight.
>>
>>1798386
Guillaume le Marechal was a great man indeed
>>
Sup lads. https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Witold_Pilecki
>>
>>1798422

What a fucking legend. Hollywood would make a fortune off of this.
>>
>>1798402
The Anglo-Norman rendering would just have been Williame Mareschal actually.
>>
Jacques "your eyes are up there" de Lalaing

The best jouster of his time, a model of chivalry, and a good knight in battle, he died of a cannonball to the head in 1453, shot by uppity burghers.
The end of an era.

http://www.thearma.org/essays/Lalaing.htm

>Jacques de Lalaing took part in a tournament at Nancy (in Lorraine) before the King of France, the King of Aragon and Sicily, and the assembled nobility of France. From his first encounter, Jacques was victorious. "For," as the chronicle says, "above all else, he knew the business of arms."... He defeated his second opponent by striking him in the eye-slits of his helmet with his lance, ripping it off of his head.
>Jacques' third encounter was with a knight of Auvergne. ... On the third course, the knight of Auvergne struck Jacques in the middle of his shield and splintered his lance. Jacques, on the other hand, striking "with all his force and science," hit his opponent in the eyeslits.
>When the combat began, Jacques and Diego traded blows with their polaxes so fiercely that sparks flew from their armor. "Then Jacques de Lalaing, seeing how aggressive his adversary was, whirled the point of his polaxe around, and struck 3 blows on the eye-slits of Diego, one after another, in such a way that he was wounded in 3 places in the face.
>>
>>1798513
>Jacques’ challenge was officially known as the Passage of the Fountain of Tears, because the pavilion was raised next to a fountain with a statue of a weeping woman. In keeping with this theme, Jacques fought in a white surcoat decorated with a pattern of blue tears. When asked his reasons for issuing the challenge, Jacques replied that he wanted to have dueled at least 30 men before his 30th birthday.
>Holding his weapon in his left hand, he struck Jean 3 times in the face with the tail-spike of his polaxe.
>Jacques suddenly stepped in close to the squire and took hold of his polaxe with this right hand. With his left hand, Jacques struck him in his unarmored face with the point of his polaxe.
>In the 6th course, Jacques struck the Savoyard squarely on his helmet, stunning him.
>As the combat was nearing its end, Jacques struck Jean underneath the eye with the tail-spike of his polaxe, wounding him.
>>
>>1798486
Williame le Mareschal
>>
File: Hathcock.jpg (139KB, 500x375px)
Hathcock.jpg
139KB, 500x375px
>>1798245
Carlos Hathcock. Self-taught himself to hunt as a kid and enlisted during the Vietnam war. He got the nickname "White Feather" from the NVA because he would hunt with a white feather in his cap. Most of the time he would wander out into the jungle by himself with and spend days at a time out there shooting Viets. He has 93 confirmed kills, but he estimates he's killed hundreds while out there (a "confirmed kill requires a witness). He would sometimes only move a few inches per day, which is barely even fucking human. He also pulled a Saving Private Ryan and shot an enemy sniper right through his scope. The guy really needs a movie.
>>
>>1798356
dammit john
>>
>>1798523
No. Marshall was his actual last name. There's no le.
>>
>>1798643
>Most of the time he would wander out into the jungle by himself
They really let him do that?
>>
>>1798245
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Julie_d%27Aubigny

>be daughter of french court official
>run away from Paris with fencing master bf
>run around in men's clothing teaching fencing
>ditch him for a girl
>when girl gets sent to a nunnery, break her out and attempt to fake her death by chucking a body in girl's bed and setting the place on fire
>ditch her too
>get insulted by some nobleman
>stab him
>when he apologizes, they fuck
>get royal pardon for the whole nunnery thing
>become opera singer in Paris
>kiss a girl at a ball
>3 guys challenge her to duels
>beat all of them
>run off to Brussels because duels are illegal in Paris
>fuck the Elector of Bavaria
>return to opera singing
>live as a lesbian
>lesbian gf dies, goes to nunnery
>dies at 33
>>
>>1799444
All the time, he spent so much time out there that one of his friends asked him if he's okay and he told him he's doing alright considering he's still got the buzzards off his back. He told him that no self-respecting buzzard would want to eat him anyway.
>>
>>1798643
I was hoping someone posted about him. Fucking legend of the USMC and America. Gives a goddamn warboner. Rah Gunny
>>
File: image.jpg (129KB, 500x719px) Image search: [Google]
image.jpg
129KB, 500x719px
Simo Hayha AKA White Death

The deadliest sniper in history. A Finnish sniper who fought in the winter war against the soviets. Something like 500 confirmed kills all in less than 100 days of fighting. Stalin hunted for this man. He sent multiple counter sniper and artillery attacks against him but simo killed everyone Stalin sent. He wore full white camo as in pic. Also know for packing snow down in front of his barrel to prevent muzzle blast picking up snow. He also would put snow in his mouth so his breath could not be seen. But what I find most bad ass is that he didn't like to use a scope because lens fog and glare so he used iron sights. A motherfucking iron sight using sniper. He ending up getting shot in the jaw lost half his face put in a coma but ended up living. I mean think about it 500 times he pulled that trigger and killed a man. Legend.
>>
>>1799632
>A motherfucking iron sight using sniper.
Given that he spent a lot of his time shooting at fairly short range, that's not really noteworthy.
>>
You are right but I still think he is the most legendary sniper right behind Gunny Hathcock.
>>
>>1799499
How the fuck are people this energetic
>>
>>1799725
It's more a question of "how the fuck did we come to universally lead such insanely regimented lives."
>>
>>1799728
i think most people who weren't nobles had extremely regimented lives, far more so
>>
Pier Gerlofs Donia.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Pier_Gerlofs_Donia

A lot of what's written about this guy is rumor and legend, but if it's all true he was a fucking monstrosity of a man. Motherfucker stood at a little more than 2 meters tall, could bend coins with his thumb and forefinger, and wielded a 14 pound greatsword with 1 hand and could apparently decapitate several men with one swing. His wife was raped and killed in a raid on his village and my boy went fucking nuts for a few years as a pirate and guerrilla soldier. A couple of swords have been found that allegedly belonged to him and they're unbelievably gigantic. He had a nickname "grutte pier"
>>
>>1798245
>be le french high nobility in le 17th century
>fight half a dozen wars and 5 dozen duels
>duels are outlawed
>fight a duel on the place royale just to troll Richelieu
http://www.executedtoday.com/tag/francois-de-montmorency-bouteville/
>>
File: DS.jpg (30KB, 625x415px) Image search: [Google]
DS.jpg
30KB, 625x415px
>>1798513
>>1798515
>Jaques "the eyes are the groin of the head" de Lalaing
>>
>>1799499
>By the age of fourteen, she became a mistress of the Count d'Armagnac

She didn't wait did she now. But then again it's probably weird to me because I'm one of those poor souls that didn't lose his virginity at the later age of 13 or 14 ;-;
>>
File: Napoleon-hand-in-jacket.jpg (3MB, 4303x2886px) Image search: [Google]
Napoleon-hand-in-jacket.jpg
3MB, 4303x2886px
Why were the frenchies so goddamn cool back then but not anymore? Literally what happened?
>>
>>1800311
Beg your pardon, but there are remnant amongst ourselves that still brandish that feisty lust for war and excitment.

Me not being an example of that, but /fr/ on /int/ being an incarnation of that.
>>
File: go for the eyes jacques.jpg (17KB, 304x480px) Image search: [Google]
go for the eyes jacques.jpg
17KB, 304x480px
>>1798513
>>1798515
>>
Many of them were women and PoC all while living in Europe proving nationalists wrong.

t. BBC
>>
>>1799425
>William Marshal, 1st Earl of Pembroke (1146 or 1147 – 14 May 1219), also called William the Marshal (Norman French: Williame le Mareschal), was an Anglo-Norman soldier and statesman.[1]

Mareschal wasn't an ancient name or something, his father was the first to bear it because he literally was Henry I's Marshall.
The "le" still remained and was used at the time he lived, only to be removed by modern historians (like "de/of" often are).
>>
>>1799715
And Chris Kyle
>>
File: 1474137846845.png (37KB, 131x125px)
1474137846845.png
37KB, 131x125px
>>1800311
But Napoleon was basically Italian
>>
>>1800697
So was Hitler, ethnically speaking (his family came from South Tyrol)
Ever wondered why he had black hair?
>>
>>1800688
nice bait
>>
>>1800706
But South Tyrol has an Austrian/German majority.
>>
>>1798245
>all this chad shit history
when will normans get the fuck out of this site and back to leddiit were they belong.
>>
>>1800185

Came here to post this. This guy was a supreme badass.
>>
>>1800731
>normans
kek
>>
Innocent III
>be pope
>make king of France take back his wife because fuck you papacy stronk
>run the election of the emperor of the >H>R>E
>vassalize half of Christian Europe by threatening them with Interdict unless they become your vassal
>form Papal states
>>
>>1799499
Holy smokes! What a legend!
>>
DIAN FUCKING WEI

>get hired by a family to kill an official, succeed, guy was probably corrupt because he was hailed as a hero afterwards
>get ambushed during a battle against Lu Bu
>order dozens of men to surround him, wait until they're right on top of him, fling literally a dozen ji (halberd-like weapons) at them, not missing a single soldier
>supremely loyal to Cao Cao
>Cao Cao is lured into a trap at Wancheng
>order him to run and hold the line
>murder the fuck out of some pursuers in a valiant last stand
>crush ten spears at once with one blow of a ji
>continue killing enemies like it's nothing while heavily wounded, eventually succumbing to the wounds
>enemies are so mindfucked they take a long time to approach because they're not sure he's dead
>Cao Cao escaped with his life
>basically the one person to match up to their Dynasty Warriors protrayal
>fiction/legend has him also using the dead bodies of his enemies as weapons during his last stand

>>1798340
>When she led the charge, victory followed. Only by betrayal was she finally stopped.
She was also brilliant with artillery, something that other officers at the time couldn't quite pick up on. She knew how to position it and use it to terrifying effectiveness. Her only real downfall as a commander was that, while she herself never cut anyone down with the sword, she was patriotic to the point of bloodthirstiness and thus was an incredibly aggressive commander. As long as she had the supplies to engage in her sieges she was damn near unstoppable but, as her getting caught showed, take away the supplies and she could be beaten.
>>
>>1800731

NORMANS GET OUT OF SOUTHERN ITALY REEEEEEEE, RIGHTFUL BYZANTINE CLAY!!!
>>
>>1803908
>fiction/legend has him also using the dead bodies of his enemies as weapons during his last stand
Actually, that's a claim made by the legit in the historical records and NOT in the fictional novel.
Thread posts: 50
Thread images: 14

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.