[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

Isms are bad mmk

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 14
Thread images: 4

File: 36_ferris_buellers_day_off.jpg (499KB, 1296x730px) Image search: [Google]
36_ferris_buellers_day_off.jpg
499KB, 1296x730px
Over 30 years ago, this was said in Ferris Bueller's Day Off:

>Ferris: Not that I condone facism; or any ism for that matter. Isms, in my opinion, are not good. A person should not believe in an ism, he should believe in himself. I quote John Lennon, “I don’t believe in ‘Beatles’, I just believe in me.”

How can we stop associating ourselves with the various "isms" and just be our self?

For example, "determinism" is a type of belief system and now a "determinist" is a person who identifies with this new "ism".

Of course we all associate ourselves with ideas, but when the ideas take over the person, like when a Marxist loses their own identity for the sake of an abstract "ism", rather than just having an appreciation for Marx.

Discuss?
>>
Many isms are deeply flawed, but without any kind of values you do things like drive recklessly, kill a mother and daughter and fake amnesia in an attempt to avoid responsibility for what you did.
>>
>>1796857
http://phrontistery.info/isms.html

This site has like over 200 of them...
>>
>>1796857
Rejecting isms is just childish rebellion and poisonous to learning.

No matter how much of a special snowflake you think you may be, somebody somewhere has written on your exact opinions and developed them far better than you can. Studying this ism can help you better understand the issues you care about, and lead you down other paths to other isms that you may end up with.

If you truly, somehow manage to have a unique belief system that is non-contradictory, create your own ism and share it with the rest of us.
>>
>>1796926
It isn't reject ism, just the idea that people get so absorbed in one way of thinking, that is the true poison. You don't need to create and share a new ism, and also don't need to believe that people's opinions are better than your own.
>>
believe whatever you want just don't be ddogmatic
>>
The only problem is that people don't always respond to someone's form of ism. Like all of their assumptions about an ism they don't agree with all come to the table. Then arguing, then no intellectual agreement
>>
File: image.gif (7KB, 170x200px) Image search: [Google]
image.gif
7KB, 170x200px
>>1796857
Was Ferris a Stirnerposter?
>>
>>1796872
Maybe YOU would do that, but I wouldn't.
>>
>>1796857
He's right, -isms are for fags.
>>
>>1797036
>"it isn't reject ism"
>reject-ism
>>
File: image.jpg (35KB, 270x263px) Image search: [Google]
image.jpg
35KB, 270x263px
I think OP means we shouldnt be stuck with one ism, the isms narrow our intellectual capacity.
How many communists have reed anything about liberialism? Or economics for that matter, they go after memes and end up as communists and reject everything that doesnt fit that narrative.
We shouldnt identity with isms but with arguments that can derive from that way of thinking or against it. Namsayin?
>>
I am 100% on board with rarely labeling yourself.
I think it's a way to remove individual-ISM.
Isn't that the only ism we need. Seems like they've been hearding people by mentalities for a while now.
>>
>>1796880
I think i'll pick up pyrrhonism, titanism and pejorism
Thread posts: 14
Thread images: 4

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.