[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

Considering how intelligent the Chinese and Japanese are and

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 83
Thread images: 9

File: ming.gif (32KB, 550x531px) Image search: [Google]
ming.gif
32KB, 550x531px
Considering how intelligent the Chinese and Japanese are and their huge leaps in medicine, as well as their rich culture, why did they never reach the level of technological advancement and civilization as Western Europe? Was it the slow unification of Japan or constantly evolving dynasties of China?

I'm very new to Asian history and know only the basics and this has always puzzled me.
>>
>don't fix what isn't broken, grasshopper

- byg gi
>>
>>1795752
>technological advancement and civilization as Western Europe?

Look at Germany, France and Sweden now - who won in the end? People that invent new stuff that constantly blows up or people that can keep a civilization alive - the chinese ?
>>
>>1795758
That isn't what I'm asking.

Also if you think France, Germany and Sweden still aren't incredibly successful, you're a fucking retard.
>>
>>1795752

>why did they never reach the level of technological advancement and civilization as Western Europe?

Slavish devotion to tradition, crippling conformity and an uncompromising set of stupid beliefs.

Blame Confucius.
>>
>>1795758
>who won in the end?
is the world coming to an end?
>>
>>1795768
So why was Imperial Japan of the 30's, a nation so set in tradition and honor so successful?
>>
>>1795769

Western civilization is
>>
>>1795764

>France, Germany and Sweden still aren't incredibly successful

They were if you are talking about the past. But now china is clearly above them in success, just like how it has been during the Tang era and before.
>>
>>1795752
Read this book op
http://www.cloverport.kyschools.us/userfiles/3/Classes/308/Jared%20Diamond%20-%20Guns%20Germs%20and%20Steel.pdf
He makes a few mistakes here and there, but I think he generally got it. That's right, western domination is primarily dumb luck. And aboriginal Australians were not as retarded as you think they are.
>>
>>1795786
Hey man, I don't buy into white supremacy pseudo-science. I tried to avoid my post looking like that
>>
>>1795790
The book is essentially an answer to the question you are asking and white supremacy attempts to solve. Do read it, it's very insightful and it answers a question that most people ask but few can answer. It's basically also an argument against white supremacy.
>>
>>1795770
>a nation so set in tradition
After the Meiji restoration they lost any right to call themselves traditionalists. Same goes for commie China.
>>
>>1795783
>But now china is clearly above them in success
Now China is a shithole with a bubble economy and growing internal dissent that makes the government unable to properly project power outside their regional sphere. If you think right now China is more successful than Europe you're delusional.
>just like how it has been during the Tang era and before.
Rome > Han
>>
>>1795752
>technological advancements in medicine

It was the west that brought the world hand sanitizer and antibiotics, whilst the chinese eat animal penis to cure problems with libido.
>>
>>1795752
They did. Japan is just as advanced and developed as Western Europe.
>>
File: image.jpg (90KB, 564x564px) Image search: [Google]
image.jpg
90KB, 564x564px
>>1795752
"For a Samurai to be brave he must have a bit of black blood in his veins"
Its the white man keeping asian socities down.
>>
>>1795770
Superior TURANIC genes that have been held back by degenerate Sino Influence
>>
File: roman legacy.jpg (318KB, 818x400px) Image search: [Google]
roman legacy.jpg
318KB, 818x400px
>>1795810
>Rome > Han

And thats why Rome got destroyed by barbarians that wore pants and China didn't change even after being conquered by the Manchu and Mongols right?

Today your "romans" are rescuing africans migrants right off the coast of africa while China is the country with the biggest economy in the world
>>
>>1795850
Today the romans rescue migrants, while the chinese ARE migrants. Why are they all running to the west? Could it be that China is a shithole?
>>
>>1795752
China was well within the reach of prime Rome. After that, it simply kept its advancement well into the 1800s.

Huge tech leaps from Europe come from the fact that the medieval period essentially broke the Roman empire into small subsets. This limited tech/civilization growth. Once they started merging into bigger states, they were ready to take on the mantle again.

Their war/contact with the muslims introduced the european to the world they were missing on. The huge trade with China/India/Africa were cutoff for Europe. The classical works preserved by the muslim scholars re-introduced into the civilization empowered the imagination of the europeans. The exotic wonders and tales of Asia captivated them. Missionaries sent across every continent brought back knowledge from all across asia and flowed right back into Europe. All those diversity gave them a much bigger picture of the world. This was not available to the Chinese or the Indians, who never really lost their civilization or trade with most of the world.

This new worldview allowed the west to formulate new ideas and take in old then re-invent it for the west.

Basically a civilization shock event happened in the west, and it moved them further into the right direction. Something similar happened to Asia as well during its contact with europeans. They also started industrializing at scale not seen before. Japan industrialized at an unprecedented scale. China was industrializing faster than europe did.
>>
>>1795855

Wow all that damage control just to make your "roman legacy" look less shit.

>CHINESE ASRE LEAVING CHINA HAHA!
>THAT MEANS CHINA IS SHITHOLE!

>http://www.english-online.at/news-articles/living/young-italians-are-leaving-italy.htm
>>
>>1795865
Italy is considered a B tier country for western standards. Yet China is so shit, even Italy is good enough to emigrate to. Italians certainly don't emigrate for a better life.
>>
>>1795871
>Italians certainly don't emigrate for a better life.

Yes they do, have you read the link i posted just before?
Have you seen all the Italians living in Germany (eventhough Germany is also on the path to being a third world country)

Unemployment in Italy is currently at 11%, an ammount thats quite higher then the one from China.
>>
>>1795878
Sorry, I meant
>Italians certainly don't emigrate TO CHINA for a better life.
I forgot a piece.
>>
>>1795752
>why did they never reach the level of technological advancement and civilization as Western Europe?

There were times when East Asia was on the same technological level or even higher than Europe.
>>
huge stable monolithic societies in the east.

while in the west you have constant instability and new people coming in.
>>
File: MTE4MDAzNDEwNTM0NDk5ODU0.jpg (113KB, 1200x1200px) Image search: [Google]
MTE4MDAzNDEwNTM0NDk5ODU0.jpg
113KB, 1200x1200px
>>1795752

hi somebody mentioned my name?
>>
I suspect the attitude of the manchu qing emporors might have had something to do with it. They didn't see much value new technologies.
>>
>>1795865
The Italians leaving Italy today are all graduated and seek jobs in high positions. The Chinese in Italy work as slaves in clothing factories run by the Mafia.
>>
File: tmp_22841-1475662833709143691974.jpg (818KB, 1920x1200px) Image search: [Google]
tmp_22841-1475662833709143691974.jpg
818KB, 1920x1200px
Where does this exceptional intelligence of asians meme come from on 4chan? Is it becaus asian migrants do so well in math? As far as their history, Japan and China were very cool cultures but never struck me as particularly more or less advanced than others in asia n europe. China was big, populous, and relative un-antagonized for most of history so its economy was comparatively large, but it was almost all peasant farmer like the rest of europe and asia.

Japan is highly aadvanced today thanks to having been destroyed, but rather than colonizing, US assisted with reconstruction, democratization, and economic liberalization while limiting japanese remilitarization. And Japanese have had excellent governance since.

The idea of the highly advanced middle ages / ancient civilization is aa bit of romanticism no matter what part of the world we're talking. Quality of life was virtually the same for the vast majority of population everywhere for almost all human history regardless of country; the only significant variables being climate, geography, and frequency of warfare. If you were a farmer, you would just hope your king will let you live in peace.
>>
>>1795770
Because that tradition and honor was just the manifestation of nationalism. For example Bushido wasn't taken very seriously by most until the Meiji Revolution
>>
>>1795752
Because the Qing were more focused on killing men for having the wrong haircut to maintain technological progression.

Fucking Qing.
>>
>>1795797
>Jared Diamond
>a good source
>not just watered down Annales School with none of the historical rigor
>>
>>1797067
Guns, Germs, and Steel is at least as well evidenced as the "muh genes" school of though
>>
>>1795820
Lol this.

Butthurt chink pls leave.
>>
File: Chinese ''medicine''.jpg (738KB, 849x565px) Image search: [Google]
Chinese ''medicine''.jpg
738KB, 849x565px
>>1795752
>their huge leaps in medicine
Funny.
>>
Like someone else said, a huge empire like chinkland will only stagnate without competition.

Then, consider that Europe is a super moshpit where every nation has, all through history, one-upped eachother continously
>>
>>1797105
This.

When there is no one to compete against the elites just care about maintaining their wealth and stature.
>>
>>1797101
well many of them do live to reach hundred year old, more healthy diet than medicine though
>>
>>1797090
Which is to say, they're both garbage. I'm sympathetic to the longe duree, but Diamonds book is garbage
>>
File: mainpopulationcenters1400.jpg (662KB, 3240x1903px) Image search: [Google]
mainpopulationcenters1400.jpg
662KB, 3240x1903px
>>1795752
They were relatively isolated, by contrast the Mediterranean was an excellent trade conduit.

Having a large population and economy isn't necessarily more conducive to technological development since technology you develop will spread to other places eventually.
>>
>>1797128
>more healthy diet
and that diet would be?
>>
>>1795752
>the "asians are smarter than the whites but whites are more creative" meme
>>>/pol/

>>1795775
>>1795850
The fact that the biggest problem in western leaders is "what measure of foreign workers should we take in in order to keep a population growth (and thus economy) growing without sacrificing too much in terms of security security?" and not "how do I steal more money than the rest without getting caught?" should clue you in about which society is closer to collapse.
>>
>>1797141
seafood, certain specific vegetables, tea, herbal ginseng, etc..
its not genetic alone since asians in western country / adapted to western diet doesn't live as long
>>
>>1797030
>And Japanese have had excellent governance since.
Japan has had fucking shit governance since the late 80s tho.
>>
>>1795752
That's because of the enlightenment (Aufklärung) which happened in Europe first.
>>
>>1797128
>many of them do live to reach hundred year old
China has one of the lowest number of centenarians per capita in the world, just 3.63 per 100k. Italy, France and Spain by comparison have all more than 30 per 100k.
>>
>>1797154
>what measure of foreign workers should we take in in order to keep a population growth (and thus economy) growing
This is such a meme. It's blatantly obvious that deindustrialized european countries with rampant unemployment have no need whatsoever for third world immigration.
The opposite actually: immigration only raise competition at the lowest levels of employment, lowering wages, which by virtue of being so low will mean depressed consumption of everything bar staple goods.
Immigration also worsen the demographic issue, since they're mostly males who will not reproduce because of not enough women, so just more pensioners for the future.
>>
>>1797181
china is special case since they're pretty much wrecked by communism
also they have high population boom, which makes the young to outnumber the old
my case being a proper traditional asian diet can make you live up to 100 years, they have many to reach that age in comparison to other part of the world
>>
>>1797205
>my case being a proper traditional asian diet can make you live up to 100 years
So does the proper traditional mediterranean diet, generally considered the healthiest in the world. Unsurprisinly Italy, France, Spain, and Portugal are all at the top of the centenarians per capita rankings.

Also I should add that speaking of traditional asian diet reveals what a fucking ignorant retard you are, because China alone has vastly different cuisines between its regions, nevermind comparing it to Japan or Thailand.
>>
>>1797202
Answer me this. Do Western Europeans REALLY look for jobs as plumbers, farmers, house cleaners, etc.?

Because there's people more than willing to do those jobs for just being able to earn a little more money than they would in their home countries AND be able to live in a better country.

But that wasn't what I was talking about to begin with, I do agree that endless growth at all costs is a shitty policy to begin with.
>>
>>1797223
>Do Western Europeans REALLY look for jobs as plumbers, farmers, house cleaners, etc.?

Yes, poles and southeners (Italy Spain)
>>
>>1797232
>poles and southerners
>western Europeans

I realize I might have worded it badly, but I think it was obvious I was talking about the strong economies in Europe (France, UK, Germoney and the non countries around them).
>>
>>1797257
Not to mention that Poles, Spaniards, Portuguese and Italians are immigrants too.

Immigrant doesn't mean "brown people".
>>
>>1797223
>Do Western Europeans REALLY look for jobs as plumbers, farmers, house cleaners, etc.?
Absolutely fucking yes. Trade schools for plumbers, electricians, etc are working at full capacity. Farming has seen a strong increment in workforce in recent years, and more land is being cultivated (that said, the average education level of farmers has downright skyrocketed, for every potato picker there's a soil chemist and an agricultural engineer nowadays). Just like there's plenty of burger flipping college graduates in the US, there's plenty of people with shit degrees in Europe willing to work lesser jobs rather than stay unemployed. After all manual work is better than starving.
>Because there's people more than willing to do those jobs for just being able to earn a little more money than they would in their home countries AND be able to live in a better country.
Which is reason enough to keep them out. These fucking beggars willing to work for 5€/day are sheer economic damage. They don't earn enough to pay for their own retirement funds, they don't earn enough to keep out of stark poverty and contribute to the economy, they take work away from locals who by virtue of being locals and just as good should have priority.
Do face it, third world immigration has no place whatsoever in Europe regardless of what your thoughts on economy are: the truth is that they're only being let in because it's politically hard to argue otherwise (getting easier every day tho) and because they can be used as easily swayable vote reservoirs by populists (NOT JUST BY COMMIES, every populist can sway them. See brit niggers voting for leave).
>>
>>1797282
You make a lot of sense.

You don't really had to convince me that unskilled immigration was a bad thing for everyone but the upper classes (that much is obvious), but I didn't think there was demand for "low tier" jobs among Europeans considering their welfare safety nets.

Still, the point I made still stands: Europe isn't close to collapsing, and certainly no more than China is.
>>
Take your pick from the usual suspects

>Confucianism
>Isolation of the Central Plain
>Ming's hatred of Navies
>Confucianism
>Qing's hatred of Trade
>Himalayas
>Confucianism

Personally I hate determinism (especially across centuries) and believe their was just a unique series of events that led to Western domination.
>>
>>1795850
I'd rather wear pants than have to wear this manchu cuck haircut under penalty of death.
>>
>>1797338
>but the upper classes
Top kek, much good did it do to them, shrinking consumption and ruining their customer base, now they're noticing the other side of the medal. Not to mention inviting in terrorists and house robbers and daughter rapers.
>considering their welfare safety nets
Another meme. The fucking US has a larger welfare net than most of Europe. People think that since we all have public health care, we also have scandi tier welfare, but not so. Being a neet is absolutely impossible in most of Europe, especially the south, which is why italian youths actually migrate to find jobs or are more than willing to find blue collar employment.

>Still, the point I made still stands: Europe isn't close to collapsing, and certainly no more than China is.
Oh sure. I wasn't contesting that, only the stale "we need them" meme.
>>
>>1797482
>Being a neet is absolutely impossible in most of Europe, especially the south, which is why italian youths actually migrate to find jobs or are more than willing to find blue collar employment.
I just want to make it clear that I was still talking about the "big 3" of Europe and the surrounding states (Netherlands, Belgium, etc.), not the struggling economies in the EU.
>>
>>1795752
Radical conservatism of their governments.
Japan was the first to actually wake up, and they had a guy "forgot his name" go to Korea and China to try and get them to modernize, but it didn't really work out.
It was really the whole "Don't rock the boat" mentality that held them back for so long.
>>
>>1795752
Steppeniggers
>>
>>1795810
[Citation needed]
>>
>>1795820
So do some Europeans tbqh
>>
>>1795855
A lot of Italians are leaving Italy and being replaced by Mahamoud

China has an immensely low migration rate. Remember that they have 1.4 billion people, and only 50 million overseas.
>>
>>1795871
>Italians certainly don't emigrate for a better life.

I am Italian and I left for Germany in 2012.
sei italiano?
>>
>>1796934
[Citation needed]
>>
File: image.jpg (20KB, 261x253px) Image search: [Google]
image.jpg
20KB, 261x253px
>>1797030
>And Japanese have had excellent governance since.
AAHAHHSHAHAHAHHASAHHAHAHHHHHHHHAHAHAHHHHHAAAAAAAAAAJJJJJJJH
>>
>>1797154
>The fact that the biggest problem in western leaders is "what measure of foreign workers should we take in in order to keep a population growth

Uhhh what

Go ask Obama what the US' biggest problem is
>>
>>1797223
Yes
>>
>>1797562
Japan was also the first to become a permanent colony.
>>
>>1795752

Why SHOULD they get into an industrial era?
In fact, Why should anyone?
The fact the west did is a massive anomaly of history.
When you have a population as massive and dense as China had and still has, why should you invent the steam engine?
Real life is not a 'sid meier's civilization' game. Countries dont have a 'tech tree' to follow. It's all about circumstances.
>>
>>1797627
In the post I quoted there's one
>>
>>1797158
You are completelying wrong. Chinese especially eat pretty much anything that moves regardless of health benefits and love to fry things.

Go meme somewhere else to you fucking wrong piece of shit faggot.
>>
>>1797938
There is no source stating that all Chinese in Italy work in mafia factories
>>
>>1798256
>Chinese eat anything that moves
[Citation needed]
>>
>>1795840
Japanese aren't Turanic, you retard fuck.
>>
>>1798256

>Dear Diary, today I made things up on 4chan
>>
Why do people think that technological advancement springs from biology of the human being itself and not due to political, environmental, military and cultural shifts?

Why would a place on Earth which has slightly different variables to another place *need* to produce the same thing as another place?

Are ya'll retarded?
>>
>>1795752
you should study history before making a statement.
>>
>>1795752
you are all idiots. we all came from africa. the eastern countries in the equator thrives. the cold north suffered. they turned white and hostile. took land. read history, etc.
>>
>>1798343
go away chen
Thread posts: 83
Thread images: 9

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.