[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

What did he mean by this?

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 18
Thread images: 3

File: image.jpg (40KB, 850x400px) Image search: [Google]
image.jpg
40KB, 850x400px
What did he mean by this?
>>
>>1795706
That the world is much more full of knowledge than we think.
>>
>>1795706
>>1795706
he dumdum

seriously speaking the argument is incorrectly formulated, better would be "I don't know if I know anything"
>>
that complete knowledge of even the simplest things are impossible
>>
That wisdom is impossible without humility.
>>
he was complaining becaus there were no schools when he was alive so he never got an education
>>
You can't want what you already have.

The sophists called themselves wise.

Socrates called himself an ignorant and hence a seeker after or lover of wisdom (philosopher).

In the end he turned their claim on them. The so-called wise don't really want wisdom, they only want status and the appearence of wisdom.

If to be a wise person is to be a self-conceited sophist, says Socrates (as it were), than he'd rather be an ignorant.
>>
>>1795706
Knowledge is an incomplete concept. It's an error of judgment.
>>
>>1795706
I dunno
>>
We are subjective beings who lack the ability to objectively know anything in its fullest form
>>
>>1795974
exactly
>>
>>1795706
Knowledge is knowing what you don't know.
>>
>>1795706

Knowledge is too big of a guy to fit into your hothead, so better throw yourself out of the plane of life before it is too late.
>>
File: Socrates.jpg (65KB, 289x400px) Image search: [Google]
Socrates.jpg
65KB, 289x400px
>>1795706
IIRC that's a paraphrase of a story about Socrates, that when the Oracle of Delphi announced that he was the wisest man in Greece, he found this very amusing because he didn't particularly think of himself as wise. So like a gadfly he went from important person to important person, asking them questions to find out what it means to be "wise". What he found was that statesmen, merchant princes, and military generals, when he really got down to it, weren't really that more or less wise than anyone else, they only thought they were, and this was a facade that Socrates was easily able to expose (hence his nickname among the annoyed Athenians: "the Gadfly")

He realized that true wisdom is knowing that there is so much to know out there that you could never possibly know it all, so you don't lie to yourself and you live in reality.
>>
It's simply Socrates acknowledging that he is not some know-all sage; he's just a stumpy asshole who liked to troll acquaintances by calling them on their bullshit.
>>
>>1798047
>People around him blew his random insults out of proportion and wrote books about it
Philosophy and philosophers, everyone
>>
>>1795744
That wouldn't have the same effect. Socratic dialogues tend to demonstrate the fact that Socrates is aware of his lack of knowledge whereas the people he talks to claim to be experts, but definitely aren't. If he says it your way he claims that he may have some knowledge about the world which wouldn't make sense until the middle and late dialogues which are just plato's writings anyways
>>
File: 1469269083776.jpg (8KB, 480x192px) Image search: [Google]
1469269083776.jpg
8KB, 480x192px
He's just the ancient equivalent of a girl posting selfies on Facebook.

I am so ignorant -Scratoo
50 likes~ 12 comments~
No socrates bby, u buetiful. Tell me about the elegance of the intellect again ~ Hippias
5 likes~ 1 reply
--show more--
Thread posts: 18
Thread images: 3

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.