[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

what does /his/ think of this man

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 29
Thread images: 7

File: Big_Crommers.jpg (14KB, 300x300px) Image search: [Google]
Big_Crommers.jpg
14KB, 300x300px
Was he a good leader?
Did he make Britain better?
>>
Started off well, but really fucked up after uniting the country. He throws out the Monarchy with the intention of ending their power forever, then declares himself 'High Protector'?
>>
>>1795680
was he a good ruler? he ruled for about 10 years didnt he?
>>
>>1795686
Sort of, he was very competent, but he was too radical - bringing too many changes to the establishment before it had time recuperate, not to many starting further wars JUST after the Civil War and during the supposed rebuilding period. He also dissolved Parliament and ran the state as a Dictator, using his son as a successor. Not to mention he was a severe fundamentalist who had some odd decisions (ie he invited all the Jews formerly banished from England to resettle, and banned Christmas celebrations)
>>
>>1795692
i always assumed that the wars he started were forced on him or really necessary like beating the royalists in scotland
>>
>>1795697
Yes the wars within the Civil War were defeating the last of the Royalists, but upon creating the Commonwealth, he immediately initiated two separate wars with the Netherlands and Spain. Literally a year or two after the Civil War ended.

Again, it didn't help that he was a severe Puritan Reformist Christian, basically alienating most other political factions within the Rump Parliament before he booted it
>>
File: Catalogue_of_Sects.gif (1MB, 2236x1404px) Image search: [Google]
Catalogue_of_Sects.gif
1MB, 2236x1404px
The English Civil War had a lot of funny sects running around. Fucking protestants.
>>
>>1795716
Scottish Presbyterians were also responsible (alongside Swiss Calvinists) for some of the most severe Witch-hunts of the 16th-17th centuries
>>
>>1795708
did these wars atleast strengthen britain? or did they weaken an already damaged state? was the new model army effective outside the uk?
>>
>>
>>1795720
They didn't strengthen the Commonwealth, no, they just made everyone sick of Olly's shit. By the time of Richard Cromwell the Parliament overruled him and begged Charles II to come back to England reclaim his throne - they dug up the grave of Oliver Cromwell and 'reexecuted' him for his treason. The New Model army was disbanded and the men reabsorbed into the Royal Guard
>>
I recommend you listen to the Revolutions podcast: there is a 16 part series on the English Civil War.
>>
>>1795721
diggin Churchill's ensign
>>
File: 200px-Mighty_cucks.png (81KB, 200x282px) Image search: [Google]
200px-Mighty_cucks.png
81KB, 200x282px
>>1795721
>come out you cuckold

Royalists confirmed for /pol/-tier.
>>
>>1795672
Infinitely worse. He had no good intentions, nor good actions. At least we can be confident that he's in the deepest, darkest, coldest pit of hell, where he never has to worry about Christmas again.
>>
File: Parliament ain't free.png (36KB, 853x543px) Image search: [Google]
Parliament ain't free.png
36KB, 853x543px
>>1795672
Literally a meme.

>mfw Britcucks tell me that the Irish were "disloyal"

The little man in the black velvet did nothing wrong.

>>1795966
Hear hear.
>>
>>1795672
The British Protestant Al-Baghdadi. A religious fundamentalist who set up a theocratic dictatorship, destroyed 'impure' art and massacred 'infidels'.
>>
>>1795966
this
>no christmas,theatre, or public dancing! REEEEEEEE
>>
>>1795721

>come out you cuckold

Phenomenal
>>
File: come_out_you_cuck.png (33KB, 129x129px) Image search: [Google]
come_out_you_cuck.png
33KB, 129x129px
>>1795721
cropped for those that want it.
>>
Yes, he did an enormous amount of good, finally bringing Mick and Jock to heel, creating a full time professional army funded and organized by a lawful central authority drawing conscripts from everywhere and freeing the moneyed classes from the landed so they can focus on advancing science, developing the economy and making the world a better place. Had to be done.
>>
>>1795922
/pol/ would have hated the Royalists. They would have thought they were "degenerate" chads.
>>
>>1795672
>dude murder the irish lmao
>dude help enforce overly-puritan parliamentarian restrictions like banning holidays lmao
>dude murder the irish lmao
>dude fucking catholics lmao
>dude leave no stabilising force after I die so the monarchy just takes control again lmao
he was a fucking faggot
>>
>>1795692
>banned Christmas celebrations
In the book I'm reading, it says that he didn't ban Christmas directly. Parliament had banned it early during the civil war, and he was merely willing to enforce this law.
>>
File: micks.png (56KB, 723x214px) Image search: [Google]
micks.png
56KB, 723x214px
>>1795672
posting obligatory.
>>
>>1796824
Yeah, but Cromwell let the Jews back in, so he's automatically on /pol/'s shitlist.
>>
>>1795672
He was a great military leader, he could've been the proto-Washington if he had let Parliament retain control, and kept his puritan values to himself.

The New Model Army was fantastic, shame it didn't live on.
>>
>>1796907
>dude leave no stabilising force after I die so the monarchy just takes control again lmao
Only good thing he did.

>>1796824
/pol/ is quite contrarian, but they were in no way as bad as the roundheads.
>>
>>1795672
"You were the Chosen One!"
Thread posts: 29
Thread images: 7

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.