[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

Objectively insightful philosopher or just memtic author? 90%

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 47
Thread images: 7

File: index.jpg (4KB, 300x168px) Image search: [Google]
index.jpg
4KB, 300x168px
Objectively insightful philosopher or just memtic author? 90% of people can't answer right on this simple question.
>>
Con artist
>>
>>1782917
>memtic
That's not how you spell semitic.
>>
>>1782924
Was she really semitic?
>>
>>1782957
Russian jew
>>
She was excrement.
>>
File: thumbsdown.jpg-c200.jpg (7KB, 200x200px) Image search: [Google]
thumbsdown.jpg-c200.jpg
7KB, 200x200px
NO.
>>
75% common sense, 25% ridiculous bullshit.
>>
Ehh, a lot of entry-level philosophy undergrads misunderstand his interpretation, it is not hedonistic nor is it about accumulating wealth necessarily, it is ultimately the idea that one must follow one's will and not the will of others, that will can be looking after others or giving to charity if it is in line with what you deem to be just or wish to do.

her philosophy is paradoxical though, in that all actions, even those which may be in slavery to others can metaphysically be argued to be the actions or 'will' of oneself, so she started at a point that was too late, she already presumes that the 'will' is under control or that there is such a notion of 'will' that we can then go on to cut out definitions which are not in line, this is rather ignorant.
>>
it's depressing that after decades of labor unions fighting for regulations and social security and delivering a somewhat decent standard of living that teenagers from the suburbs read her bullshit and started claiming a return to "true free market enterprise and individualismâ„¢" will make us all even richer
>>
>>1782917

She seems to be completely ignorant of external costs. You can't have a completely unregulated industry because we'd all get sick and die from all the pollution. It's not because the government is evil and hates industrialists.
>>
>>1782917
Just read Stirner if you want actual individualist philosophy. Rand is too caught up on the property and morality spooks.
>>
File: GetImage.jpg (105KB, 736x1023px) Image search: [Google]
GetImage.jpg
105KB, 736x1023px
>>1782917
I like how she still makes the conservatards upset for being the wrong kind of anti-commie.

Also, butts.
>>
>>1782917
bitch looks like lena dunham
>>
>>1783481
There it is. Astoundingly profound at 15, astounding that adults dont normally, accidentally act according to it at 25.
>>
>>1783577
You have never worked for a union if you think they amount to any good. I was a heavy lifter at a warehouse and I make better and have better conditions at a fucking Toys r us doing the same job.
Efficiency and opportunity trump regulation and petty haggling and bitching every country every culture ever.
>>
What do a Jew, an atheist, a citizen of the Soviet Union, a laissez-faire capitalist, a woman, a zionism and colonialism apologist, an anarchist, a philosopher and a science fiction author all have in common?

They're a chainsmoker called Ayn Rand.
>>
>>1783645
Honestly doesnt seem to be a critique, just her saying "i dont like this". I'd like to know if she formulated arguments against collectivism more specifically and with more detail, cause i dont know shit about her.
>>
>>1783678

Rand wasn't an anarchist.
>>
>>1783680

All her books are anti-collectivist tracts framed as science-fiction stories.
>>
>>1783675
>not worker owned coop
>>
>>1782917
I think she had the right idea, but went full retard with it thanks to having experienced the Bolshevik revolution and the effects therein during her formative years
>>
>>1783722

I feel like that's the hazard of calling your system objectively right. It implies you have an answer for absolutely everything.
>>
Must we have this thread every week?

She wasn't profound. She didn't think anything that wasn't already established by her time. All she did was wrap it up into a fanfiction because she was eternally ass blasted about commies and had a pussy boner for engineers.

Her philosophy works nowhere but in her own fiction and has zero merit to actual philosophical discussion.

If you want an individualist, at least read Stirner. Rand is a meme and anybody who takes her seriously after the age of 15 needs to re-evaluate their mental state.
>>
>>1783678
>anarchist
>science-fiction author

Have you even read Rand's novels?
>>
>>1783740

Atlas Shrugged contains many science fiction elements.
>>
File: 1458697469256.jpg (88KB, 960x960px) Image search: [Google]
1458697469256.jpg
88KB, 960x960px
>>1783602
This
>>1783645
Pic related
>>1783733
This
>>1783654
They're both jewish
>>
It is impossible to think of Rand as anything but an idiot after reading Stirner. Not only does Stirner blow her the fuck out, he did it decades before she was even born. Her popularity is due to her ideological usefulness to rich people not the quality of her "philosophy" where as Stirner's philosophy is offensive to pretty much everyone which is why it wasn't popular.
>>
File: ..jpg (103KB, 507x768px) Image search: [Google]
..jpg
103KB, 507x768px
>>
>>1783743
No it dosen't, the most science fiction it gets is Rearden Steel and the magic mirrors hiding Galt's Gulch.
>>
>>1783675
I'm a steamfitter in NYC and let me tell you my union is the only reason I'm not making $11/hr.

I don't know how unions are in the rest of the country but in NYC they're the only thing preventing blue collar and hotel employees from living in complete poverty.
>>
>>1782917
>flees from inherently unsustainable hellhole of a political system
>is so buttmad that she designs her own and pretends she's proven something
>>
>>1783749
There is an appeal of self-determination that rings with American mentality that Rand makes, but then she goes full retard. In short, she was a huckster who was riding American anti-communist, anti-fascist sentiment to popularity.
>>
>>1783756

You're forgetting about Galt's magical engine, the electric torture device, and the "destroyer" device.
>>
>>1784572
oops.

Now I can't post without sounding like an uneducated faggot. Thanks, Anon!
>>
>>1783645
That's not a critique, that's an observation.
>>
>>1783749
You don't even need to go as far as Stirner. I find Robert E. Howard has her outstripped as a novelist, and as an individualist philosopher, which is not a high bar.
>>
>>1783645
Collectivism and the ability to work for the common good is the root of human survival. In modern times it's easy to think of oneself as 'individualist' but in the past it would have likely meant to either die a gruesome death or become a literal slave of a collective opposed to a member of it with all the security it offers at the cost of theoretical freedoms.
>>
>>1783645
Literally a parasite
>>
>>1784655
>Robert E. Howard
>novelist
I agree with everything else you said, though
>>
File: 1474858314314.jpg (406KB, 968x1330px) Image search: [Google]
1474858314314.jpg
406KB, 968x1330px
A true libertarian society is doomed to fail
>>
>>1784783
I always liked that quote about orcs.
>>
>>1784655
But Stirner came first.
>>
>>1784806
>>1784783
https://www.quora.com/Why-did-Paul-Krugman-say-that-Atlas-Shrugged-involved-orcs
>>
>>1783577
As someone who have witnessed that more than I would like, your words couldn't be more true.
>>
>>1784879
kek
Thread posts: 47
Thread images: 7

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.