[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

Why did Japanense troops always rush with their bayonets?

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 28
Thread images: 4

File: TENNO_HEIKA_BANZAI!.jpg (121KB, 1280x720px) Image search: [Google]
TENNO_HEIKA_BANZAI!.jpg
121KB, 1280x720px
Idk if this is just a misconception, but I swear in every movie/game I see about WW2 where Japan is involved they always rush with bayonets instead of shooting them. Than they get torn to pieces by a sub-machine gun. Can anyone just explain it to me?

Also.... TENNO HEIKA BANZAI!
>>
OH! And here's where I got the Image from: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_0eM1i4xw-g
>>
It's a stereotype born out of suicide attacks conducted by Japanese troops on surrounded islands who had little food or ammo left. This occurred in battles at Tarawa, Guam, Saipan, etc, but was much less common as the war went on. At later stages in the war, like at Peleliu or Okinawa, "banzai charges" were pretty rare compared to earlier in the war. Basically, the Japanese preferred to kill themselves instead of surrender.

But this isn't to say that the Japanese weren't allowed to retreat. The IJA conducted numerous tactical retreats in places like China, Manchuria, and Burma. It's just that there's nowhere to retreat to on an island surrounded by the US Navy.
>>
>>1777397
Blame COD for starting this myth. It was barely ever used against the Americans.

It also started the myth that the Russians just went "URAAA YOLO LMAO XDDDDD" spawning a whole generation of Sovietboos.
>>
Cause they were jacked up on crank
>>
YOU SEE A JAP WITH A SWORD
>>
>>1777397
> It was barely ever used against the Americans.

What. It was used extensively on Guadalcanal, Makin, Saipan, and Cape Gloucester. There's no reason to lie so blatantly.
>>
>>1777494

COME OUT YOU JAP BASTARDS
>>
OP is so underage it hurts
>>
>>1777454
>>1777454
>the myth

They literally did that tho

The sovietboos are the revisionist tards claiming that they didn't use these dumb human wave tactics. which is wrong ofc
>>
it happened, but didnt happen a lot. it is a misconception, thats why you see it in movies in games so much.

yeah it happened, but realistically, not as often as you think
>>
>>1777397
It was really really effective against the chinese and the japs were slow to adjust to superior american firepower. It also worked against the US once or twice
>>
>>1777454

You're an idiot. The Urrraaaa war cry is mentioned in several war time memoires.

>>1777397

It's not a misconception, the japanese used to banzai charge as a last resort.
>>
>>1777494

YOU SHOOT HIM
>>
>>1777397

I don't know how much good it is, but in my grandfather's war stories, he mentioned that they did it on occasion, usually when they were trying to advance and weren't succeeding.
>>
File: Japanese-Soldier-WWII.jpg (121KB, 469x640px) Image search: [Google]
Japanese-Soldier-WWII.jpg
121KB, 469x640px
>>1779161
This

Prior to fighting the Americans, the Japanese had been used to fighting poorly trained Chinese conscripts, where aggressive banzai charges were extremely effective in shattering the Chinese line. For someone with only a few days of training and a single magazine of ammo for their rifle, the sight of Japanese soldiers surging forth would have been a terrifying sight.

Japanese propaganda had always painted Americans as shifty, dishonorable gangster types, but American soldiers were well trained, well equipped, and held the line. Tactics which had worked so well to scare conscripts did not have the same effect on American GIs, who mowed them down with machine gun fire.
>>
File: tenaru.jpg (124KB, 344x875px) Image search: [Google]
tenaru.jpg
124KB, 344x875px
posting japanese battle results for maximum keks
>>
File: image.jpg (42KB, 425x269px) Image search: [Google]
image.jpg
42KB, 425x269px
>>1777397
This is a reminder that aside from IJN marines, we weren't their best.. they were bogged down in China and Burma as mostly threw island garrisons and conscripts at us
>>
>>1779537
we weren't fighting* their best, my bad
>>
>>1779537
>This is a reminder that aside from IJN marines, we weren't their best.. they were bogged down in China and Burma as mostly threw island garrisons and conscripts at us
Actually the troops that fought in the Pacific and Burma theaters were the elite troops.
>>
I've just been thinking, and I'm most likely too late to have thought of this here on /his/, but was banzai charging still used because Japs kept the training by the west in the past with all the 17th-18th century line infantry tactics and bayonet charging, and coupled with their "muh honor" and "muh superior samurai warrior"?
>>
Its only semi true. They tried it in the first battle, but after that they did guerilla warfare. There was one battle where they let the americans land, swam out in the ocean, and shot them from behind.
>>
>>1779534
That was due to air support. There were plenty of instances where japs were able to kill over ten marines in an ambush in the war. It was a dirty front.
>>
>>1777494
>>1779378
Is... is this the Merrill's Marauders server?
>>
>>1777397
It's not a very common tactic and it was mostly out of desperation. That said, a bayonet charge would've been effective against the Springfield (that's what they were mostly expecting to be up against after all), but they met Garands.
>>
>>1780365
Forgot to add that when the banzai charge met the Springfield equipped marines in the early stages of the war, it was pretty effective.
>>
>>1780365
>That said, a bayonet charge would've been effective against the Springfield (that's what they were mostly expecting to be up against after all), but they met Garands.
[machine gun fire intensifies]
>>
>>1780408
>BAR fire intensifies
Aww fuck gotta reload.
Thread posts: 28
Thread images: 4

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.