[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

So did Vikings discover America first ? Post Pre-Colombus theories.

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 59
Thread images: 9

File: viking.jpg (65KB, 624x624px) Image search: [Google]
viking.jpg
65KB, 624x624px
So did Vikings discover America first ?
Post Pre-Colombus theories.
>>
>>1776569
They sailed there and were met with locals. It's doubtful they ever sailed back from there.
>>
I don't have the photos but there were legends of a sky tribe made of large great warriors with blonde hair and blue eyes. I think they were in the Andes too which makes sense seeing where they came from.
>>
>>1776569
I'm pretty sure the Native Americans discovered it first.
>>
>>1776569
>So did Vikings discover America first ?
Yes but they got rekt by Indians

>>1776569
>Post Pre-Colombus theories.
I think it's likely that Polynesians made it to South America
>>
They left after being disgusted with american tipping culture
>>
>>1776716
>Yes but they were a colony who's benefit was less than the expenditure to keep it running
FTFY
Without more colonists coming from the Norse lands the locals would begin to assimilate into the local population, just as did Roanoke.
It was used as lumber to supply another failing overseas Norse colony, Greenland, so it never had investment in Vinland anyway.
>>
>>1776673
Ah touche.
>>
>>1776716
>I think it's likely that Polynesians made it to South America

Considering that they made it all over the pacific ocean to just a few dozen miles away from the South American continent. I too think it's highly possible they made it.
>>
yes
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Leif_Erikson

Interestingly, it was his father, Erik the Red, who discovered Greenland
>>
>>1777147
From Madagascar, to New Zealand, to Taiwan, to Easter Island.

Austronesians are crazy man.
>>
>>1777157
>Austronesians are crazy man.

Or plain stupid.
>>
>>1776569
The Irish and Welsh discovered it before Columbus and the Irish before the vikings
>>
>>1776569
yes
>Show up
>Try to raid for gold
>No gold
>Natives keep harassing
>Fuck this lets go home

That was about it.
>>
America was discovered by Asiatic migrants passing hrough the Bering landmass.
>>
>>1777360
It takes very skilled navigation to find some of those tiny islands in the middle of a vast pacific.On the thread topic, there's a legend that refers to an Inca ruler going to Easter Island if I'm not mistaken.
>>
File: images(4).jpg (8KB, 203x248px) Image search: [Google]
images(4).jpg
8KB, 203x248px
>>1776569
Polynesians discovered America first. And migrated from South America to the United States. Not to be racist, but Polynesians look the same as native Americans and have similar cultures. Meanwhile the Inuit crossed the land bridge from Asia. Pic related is 100% Asian Inuit qt.
>>
>>1776673
But that wouldn't make them native Americans, no?
>>
>>1777749
If you're going there, the only native humans are Ethiopians, who after thousands of years of steamy interracial sex, are not the same people anymore.
>>
>>1776569
http://www.express.co.uk/news/history/628827/ANCIENT-ROMANS-America-eerie-discovery-change-history
>>
>>1777735
There are studies that natives in South America, in particular the Amazon carry Australian genes in them, though not all of them do. There's likely been multiple migrations from the bering straight, and across the pacific ocean by island hopping the kelp infested ancient oceans. There were also migrations within the Americas going north to south and south to north.
>>
File: 1442192877179.jpg (933KB, 4272x3033px) Image search: [Google]
1442192877179.jpg
933KB, 4272x3033px
I know a lot about this subject, gonna lay out everything humanity knows.

polynesians splashed some genetic material into central/south america sometime between 1300 and 1500 AD. not a lot of it, but yeah they showed up.

there is nothing to suggest that austroloids traveled to the americas over seas, and everything to suggest they did it by foot around the same time australoids began inhabiting australia and PNG, given their genetic distribution. Think what happened with the neanderthals, they were there way before the main native american wave in small numbers and were absorbed/out-competed. this is super fucking cool, america has probably been inhabited for at least 50k years.

a tribe around the great lakes has european genetic material from around a thousand years ago. nothing else is known, but it's easy to guess that it was probably a group of brave/lost northern europeans.

there is chinese pig iron distributed among PNW native american artifacts. this is imo the most interesting information on this subject. there is no chinese genetic material known in any natives, though, which is part of why it's cool. I like to imagine a ghost ship washed ashore, but it's also possible it was a brief stop by some brave/lost chinese navigators with some trade or fights or something.

that's just about it.
>>
>>1777483
But that's wrong
>>
File: chinaMap2-01.png (473KB, 2208x2208px) Image search: [Google]
chinaMap2-01.png
473KB, 2208x2208px
>>1777900
America is CHINESE!
>>
>>1777900
nice, did you just heavily research it yourself or is it part of uni?
>>
>>1777817
I thought this was proved fake
>>
>>1778135
I went to uni for six years just taking classes to learn about stuff, took around ten anthro courses.
>>
File: 95324.jpg (280KB, 1500x1150px) Image search: [Google]
95324.jpg
280KB, 1500x1150px
>>1776633
There's a movie based on a legend about vikings coming to North America and fighting with the natives. Could be the one you're mentioning, I guess.

I don't remember whether its only loosely based or closely, though.
>>
>>1776569
Irish monks arrived before but sadly vikangz killed them and stole their technics
>>
>>1778535
That movie was actually pretty good. Not saying it was historically accurate or anything, but it was pretty entertaining.
>>
>>1778557
I was entertained when I watched it too. Mostly because it was so over-the-top, especially with the vikings, but it was fun to watch nonetheless.
>>
>>1776569
Vikings the show was fucking terrible
>>
>>1778589
Good thing that's not what we're discussing, then.
>>
>>1776569
They arrived in Newfoundland, which was a very harsh environment with few resources and locals fighting back. Some tried to settle there but failed. The vikings already had Iceland and Greenland which were colonies with plenty of resources desired further south in Europe.
>>
Why didn't the Vikings give the Indians any diseases?
>>
>>1778837
Who knows if they didn't?

But if not, they didn't stay and intermingle long enough, I guess.
>>
>>1776569
Didrik Pining a 15th century German found America.
>>
>>1776569
You´d think that the people that discovered the Americas first were the natives, yo.
>>
STRAYA FIRST!!!!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Xbkp2JP2_ck
>>
>>1778837
The part they discovered was a northern shithole with way smaller population density and contact between peoples than the caribbean region.
>>
File: cosmosmag021010.jpg (57KB, 250x300px) Image search: [Google]
cosmosmag021010.jpg
57KB, 250x300px
>>1779100
>>
>>1776569
Yes they did first than columbus, and it's not even a theory anymore. It's a completely irrelevant historical event with no repercussion at all though, an anecdote worthy of a "did you know?" foot note. Which is kind of sad, imagine how interesting it would've been if it was an actual discovery that opened the americas to the old world in the high middle ages.
>>
Irish monks discovered it before vikings, and yes of course the natives discovered it 20000 years before
>>
>>1779151
Any good viking movies that are on Netflix or otherwise?
>>
>>1779151
>Irish monks discovered it before vikings
There's really no evidence of this, though. No archaeological finds support it, and the only reason people make this claim is a book written hundreds of years after the voyage is supposed to have happened (and that was probably just religious allegory anyway).
>>
>1000 AD
>Norway is a semi prosperous agricultural country
>People in Norfolk are known for their wine
>Iceland exports lumber
>Cod banks are so far north only the Norsemen can fish it
>Greenland's fields supports several thousands of milking cows
>Regular contact with Newfoundland though no permanent colonies because the locals are cunts unlike the inuits who are content just ignoring the Norse

Suddenly the Little Ice Age sets in
>Greenland's farms forced to eat all of their prized milking cows during harsh winters before immigrating to Iceland
>Seas become significantly cooler, ice sheets spread
>Greenland completely surrounded by ice circa 1200 AD
>Iceland becomes a barren wasteland, agriculture becomes nigh impossible, cod banks move south, famine sets in
>North America is long forgotten
>Ice sheets descend further south enveloping Iceland for several years
>During that time the only contact Iceland has with the outside are Inuits from the Baffin sea who went on an expedition to see how far the ice sheets go
>Those same inuits are later sighted in northern Scotland where the ice sheets stopped
>>
>>1779371
>It gets so cold ice bears from the Arctic migrate to the ice sheets around Iceland, adding another layer of misery to the existence of Icelanders who have only herds of sheep left as sustenance at this point
>The cooling European climate means agriculture becomes very difficult in Scandinavia as glaciers and pine forests take over what were once grasslands
>Norway successfully transitions from an oats&wheat economic to being medieval Europe's biggest lumber exporter
>Additionally banks of cod are now living of Norway's coast making Bergen the official center of dried cod prodiction
>Around 1350 AD the last english wines die out, England is forced to ally itself with Portugal for that sweet grape juice
>Shit gets even cooler now cod is found even of the coast of the Netherlands, which gives them some additional meager income allowing them to win their independence war
>Cod is now to close to human populations and gets overfished, scottish sailors decide to go north in search of potential cod banks
>They bump into Iceland, surprised it still exists
>This was the start of a small revival for Iceland as before they were only allowed to trade with Bergen, but now Scottish smugglers more or less freely start to sell their shit to Iceland, giving a bit of economic prosperity back to them
>Anyways the north waters were definitely too cold for cod meaning the Europeans would either have to eat sardines which are ok with very low temperatures or start fishing further west
>Obviously fishermen start looking further west, nobody like sardines
>Different Basque, Breton and Scottish fishermen all eventually bump into Newfoundland and its enormous cod banks around 1400 but keep it a business secret
>By 1500 Newfoundland is visited every summer by hundreds of fishing boats

If Columbus had failed we would probably colonize America from Newfoundland down, just to sate Northern Europe's hunger for codfish.
>>
>>1779371
>iceland exports lumber

Stop
>>
>>1779531
Wait shit how did that slip in?
What I meant was that Iceland was able to build its own ships and had enough lumber to satisfy domestic demand
Sorry.
>>
>>1776569
Portuguese already knew of america at least 20 years before Columbus
>>
File: 1472994068654.png (121KB, 377x512px) Image search: [Google]
1472994068654.png
121KB, 377x512px
>>1776569
Post your face when you realized America doesn't exist and it's literally just Asia
>>
>>1776633
If you mean the whole Viracocha thing, it's propagated mostly by bullshit Ancient Aliens-style people.

If I remember correctly, some conquistador described that myth, but there are no known native records of anything like this and in native art the deity isn't represented as a blonde, blue eyed European.
>>
>>1777900
The "European" haplogroup you are talking about isn't strictly European, its origin is in Palaeolithic Central Siberia. It's much more probable that people from Baikal area migrated east and west, creating two groups with the haplogroup: Americas and Europe.

Got any source for the iron? I remember reading about Inuits having metal artifacts, judging by lack of documented trade with China probably brought by slow scale, tribe-to-tribe trade, but I didn't know these artifacts made it to PNW.
>>
File: nationalist view.png (118KB, 265x283px) Image search: [Google]
nationalist view.png
118KB, 265x283px
>>1779739
>>
>>1776899
No tip restaurants are starting to happen now
>>
>>1777900
Mid XIXth century, a small Japanese junk with a cargo of rice lost masts, sails, oars and rudder in a freak storm. It crossed ALL THE FUCKING PACIFIC OCEAN and ended crashing in the British Columbia. There were survivors, a couple of them even could return to Tokugawa's Japan some years later.

True history...
>>
File: 1474241149453.gif (2MB, 400x400px) Image search: [Google]
1474241149453.gif
2MB, 400x400px
>>1781957
>mfw I realize Japan and Cuba is literally the same island
>>
>>1777900
I recall reading about a theory and possibly some proof about some group of people migrating from Europe to North America following the edge of the glacier near the end of the previous Ice Age some 10 000 years ago.

I think there might have been some genetic proof of some native american tribes or some shit.
>>
>>1779371
>>1779480
Had the Viking colony in NA survived long enough for word to get back to Europe or even Iceland it might have become a bigger thing when the Little Ice Age came. The colonists from Greenland could've immigrated to America instead of going back to Iceland and even the people of Iceland might've gone as far as to leave for America.

It surely is an entertaining thought of alternative history.
Thread posts: 59
Thread images: 9

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.