[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

How old is the idea of a nation?

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 19
Thread images: 2

File: pericles.jpg (31KB, 506x638px) Image search: [Google]
pericles.jpg
31KB, 506x638px
How old is the idea of a nation /his/?

Was is there since forever, or did it get invented after the French Revolution?
>>
>>1771443
Bout tree fiddy
>>
>Political scientist Azar Gat argues that ancient Egypt was the world's "first national state," emerging "quite early as a unified state, congruent with a distinct people of shared ethnicity
>>
I'd argue that it's been around pretty much since the beginning of civilzation. Think of Aristotle's polis, which is his conception of a city. At the time, all the cities of ancient greece (Sparta, Athens etc) were what we would think of as independent nation-states (cities) with their own forms of government, and as populations grew there became states/provinces/colonies/territories and also nations as we currently see them.
>>
>>1771443
former nations are simply tribes.
cant /sjw/ us, nigger.
>>
File: 8220---base_image_4.1424269686.jpg (124KB, 800x600px) Image search: [Google]
8220---base_image_4.1424269686.jpg
124KB, 800x600px
>>1771454
>>1771459
Alright. So what about the fact that the French Revolution invented national citizenship?
>>
>>1771507
In what regard? What changed that hadn't been around before?
>>
>>1771507
Citizenship was a concept as far back as ancient Greece and national citizenship existed in Rome.
>>
>>1771524
Everything changed. Back under Louis XVI your rights were depended on your social caste only. The French revolution invented the idea that being part of a "nation" should give your equal rights.

>The institution and the ideology were first worked out the French Revolution. The formal delimitation of citizenry, the establishment of civil equality, entailing shared rights and shared obligations; the institutionalization of political rights; the legal rationalization and ideological accentuation of the distinction between citizens and foreigners--the Revolution brought these developments together on a national level for the first time

http://www.sscnet.ucla.edu/soc/faculty/brubaker/Publications/04_The_French_Revolution_and_the_Invention_of_Citizenship.pdf

>>1771536
>and national citizenship existed in Rome.

No it didn't you retard. kys
>>
>>1772576
>no it didnt
Then why did anyone join the roman army? Think before you post.
>>
>>1772592
jump out of the nearest window
>>
>>1771443
It's called tribalism and it's something we inherited from our ape ancestors
>>
>>1772823
This.

Nationalism merely tapped into pre-existing tribal instincts and extrapolated them to a larger political entity. This didn't even happen 'unnaturally', it was a consequence of the world becoming less microcosmic due to the printing press and access to writing standardising languages and people becoming more aware of the political landscape which allowed them to emotionally identify with it.

But in its essence, nationalism already existed, just on a smaller level.
>>
>>1771443
the idea of nation appears in the bible I think
but national state is a different thing
>>
>>1771507
Well I can say for one that the US Constitution includes language about citizenship.
>>
>>1771443
As old as the idea of a tribe
>>
>>1771536
Citizenship as "elite citizen status" isn't the same as citizen "as a member of the nation"
As a concept, I am not sure it even existed until the 1000s, for the simply fact that City States was the dominant form of civilization.
>>
bamp
>>
>>1771443
Nations are just giant tribes.
Thread posts: 19
Thread images: 2

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.