[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

Academia general? Talk about what your are studying and other

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 11
Thread images: 1

File: IMG_1842.jpg (215KB, 1600x550px) Image search: [Google]
IMG_1842.jpg
215KB, 1600x550px
Academia general?
Talk about what your are studying and other stuff that related to academia
>>
Is archeology a good career choice?
What do archeologists usually do?
>>
I forgot 4chan is filled with nothing but neets and /pol/tards
Why do I even bother
>>
Anyone here ever worked as an academic ghost writer?

I'm graduating from a highly regarded institution and I don't really have a conscience. All of the papers I have submitted over the years have received A's. Im really tempted to do this on the side, would love to hear from someone who has experience doing this.
>>
international studies
no idea what it will do or if it is good idea
>>
>>1771522
>no idea what it will do
>or if it is good idea

I worry for your future. I can only imagine what it must be like for your parents.
>>
I'm in my final year of undergrad, double majoring in philosophy and comparative literature. Minoring in french. Thinking about going for my MLIS next, and my school's program allows for a relatively easy conjunction of a second MA. The options are history, english, language literature and translation, or anthropology and I'm unsure of which to pursue. The language lit and translation path would essentially be a continuation of my undergrad comp lit and french, and I really like the department. English would be for if I don't wish to continue formal study of french, which I'm okay with dropping in the academic sense. But I really love history, and I feel like I could easily write a thesis on a philosopher and school of thought in a history program, which would be ideal and philosophy is what I'm most passionate about. What do, /his/? It's a shame that I can't study philosophy along with the mlis, because that's probably what I would do otherwise.
>>
>>1771113
Computer Science, but I'm too dumb for half of my classes and I'm considering suicide.
I love history, but I would rather suck-start a shotgun than change my major
>>
Currently doing a masters in anthropology, with a focus on historical archaeology. I should be finishing up this year, but am thinking about going on to a PhD program next year.

>>1771117
Is archeology a good career choice?
It depends on what you think a good career is. In general, there are two fields you can go into as an archaeologist: cultural resource management (CRM) and academic archaeology. CRM work is contract, and what you do depends on your education level. With a bachelors you are basically qualified to do bitch work; you're going to end up doing survey, field recording, and other things like that. With a masters, you can have a leadership or supervisory role. In general, the work can be inconsistent depending on where you live, and the demands can vary based on a variety of things. Pay isn't going to be great; in general, CRM people make middle classes wages (usually between $35-60,000 depending on position, but remember how much education you need for that). Remember that it can be a hard job physically and no one gets rich doing it. It's a job you do because you love it.

Academia is slightly different. Jobs can be scare, and the pay isn't going to be great (most schools publish their wages - you'll make more than CRM guys, but still not rich compared to your education level). It requires teaching, original research, and publishing at a steady enough rate to be seen as worthwhile to your employer.

In general, it's a mixed bag as a field. You need a lot of education, and you need to be okay with the idea that you're never going to get rich no matter what you do. It's a passion-driven job and you need to care about it to do it. If you're interested in doing it, make sure you know what archaeology is first, and try it out with a field school or something before getting too invested.
>>
>>1771665
continued

>What do archeologists usually do?
Digging. Lots of digging, followed by careful lab analysis, and then writing. It's not glamourous; there's a running joke in the field that we're glorified, highly qualified ditch diggers. Expect a lot of manual labor. Academia is slightly different, since you'll still need to do some of the physical stuff, but also need to teach. And there will be much more of a demand to publish original findings.

Anyway, those are the major things. I'll be happy to answer any other questions about archaeology, or be more specific, if people want.

>>1771453
I sort of ghost wrote a paper once. A guy I met who was running a dig in another country asked me to help him translate a paper. So, I basically rewrote the paper for him in English. I actually had a pretty good time doing it, and he seemed happy with the work I did. As far as I know, it was excepted for publication. I don't know how common it is to get paid to do stuff like that, but if you have translator-ish skills (some familiarity with another language and the ability to rephrase awkward translations), there's probably some market for that. But it would probably rely on networking.
>>
>>1771113

Economics with a minor in math. Have always had interest in societies/culture and realized I liked calculus my freshman year.
Trying to learn Arabic too, shit is fun.

Not very /his/ oriented I know. I do wish more historians had an education in economics though, it seems vastly overlooked in the majority of history.
Thread posts: 11
Thread images: 1

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.