[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

Why are the French so bitter to Americans and British? Since

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 19
Thread images: 3

File: 1472338008389.jpg (112KB, 800x600px) Image search: [Google]
1472338008389.jpg
112KB, 800x600px
Why are the French so bitter to Americans and British?

Since WW2, despite Britain losing its empire and falling in power, its remained on good terms and has a close, brotherly friendship with America, so much so they're near culturally identical.

This didn't happen in France. France had de gaulle, who had nothing but contempt for his former allies and brought France out of nato and sort of tried to form a third world power on the world stage. He loved to take credit for France's liberation too.

Was it France's humiliation in ww2 that caused this sense of resentment towards the allies?

When the allies took paris, they wanted the yanks out asap so they could celebrate alone.

And finally, do you feel this sense of bitterness is lost today, or does it linger in relations?
>>
>>1758308
They don't like not being relevant.
>>
File: happy european.jpg (72KB, 640x539px) Image search: [Google]
happy european.jpg
72KB, 640x539px
>And finally, do you feel this sense of bitterness is lost today, or does it linger in relations?
Considering how modern France look like I'd say they got other stuff to worry about than the yanks and the eternal anglo not salting their snails enough.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ju79YT_lBVI
>>
They're still salty over Freedom Fries
>>
>>1758308
>de gaulle, who had nothing but contempt for his former allies

More like distrust
Can't blame him, the US wanted to put France under military administration like Germany
Only a bold semi-coup by him permitted France to retain its sovereignty

As for why he withdrew from NATO, well, there's what I explained above and then there's the betrayal of Suez that was really the nail in the coffin

>Franco-American ties never recovered from the Suez crisis.[359] The incident demonstrated the weakness of the NATO alliance in its lack of planning and co-operation beyond the European stage.
>Mollet believed Eden should have delayed calling the Cabinet together until 7 November, taking the whole Canal in the meantime, and then veto with the French any UN resolution on sanctions.
>From the point of view of General de Gaulle, the Suez events demonstrated to France that it could not rely on its allies; the British had initiated a ceasefire in the midst of the battle without consulting the French, while the Americans had opposed Paris politically. The damage to the ties between Paris and Washington D.C. "culminated in President de Gaulle's 1966 decision to withdraw from the military integration of NATO".[360]
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Suez_Crisis#France_2
>>
>>1758386
I agree with De Gaulle here. Suez was fucked up and the US got too big for its boots.

Anglo-Franco Union should've happened.
>>
File: 1411834484411.png (18KB, 501x333px) Image search: [Google]
1411834484411.png
18KB, 501x333px
>>1758308
>And finally, do you feel this sense of bitterness is lost today, or does it linger in relations?

It's reversed now
The French like the US while Americans bear an unjustified hatred of them because of the Iraq War
Pic related, the effect a tiny propaganda campaign from the gubmint can have on the American people (who isnt the smartest in the world as we all know)
>>
>>1758401
Enlighten me, what propaganda did the Americans release about the french?
>>
>>1758406
Freedom fries, revival and global spread of the surrender monkeys meme, spilling French wine in the street...
>>
>>1758418
exactly who believes that?
I am Indian and we were taught that france was the home of the french revolution, won a lot of military victories under napoleon and was a major european and very minor colonial power with a respectable military that didn't want another generation to die in the trenchs like in WW1. On the whole the impression I got from school is very positive about the french.

The only people I see spreading the surrender monkey memes are largely americans and to a lesser extent brits or aussies.
>>
>>1758438
poo

in

loo
>>
>>1758438
>americans
It's actually done by us Brits mostly. We compete with France as dominant power on the continent so we love to mock them. Plus it impresses America and makes us look cool, who we love to suck up to.
>>
France isn't bitter to the US.
France just wants to be independent and not a puppet state like the British are content to be.
>>
>>1758438
It's mainly an American meme and a lot of them unironically believe that France has never won a war (most Americans are very ignorant).
But because of the US cultural superpower statut and the internet, a large chunk of the world population has been exposed to this meme, and even though most non-Americans do not genuinely believe in it, they'll still use it to troll the French or insult them when they have an argument with them
>>
hon hon hon france ze best hon hon hon bombs in ze mail hon hon hon we will leave ze canada
>>
>>1758308
>Was it France's humiliation in ww2 that caused this sense of resentment towards the allies?

Yes. 100%.

The defeat in 1940 was so horrifying to the French Psyche they've been massively overcompensating ever since.
>>
>>1758460
not to nitpick but with a french canadian accent it would be 'de', not 'ze'
>>
>>1758565
Both of the Franco-Canadian accents I am familiar with are anglicized Quebecois accents.

I was exaggerating the Parisian accent because both of them speak something closer to 'te' in conversation.
>>
>>1758308

British is our secular enemy, "la perfide albion", you can't forget hundreds years of war.

As for the USA, while De Gaulle somewhat as you said made France "the first of the middle power nations", he is dead for long, and our nation leaders since the 80s want to suck fat burger dick and being an American satellite, and so the EU.

That unnerve some people because they don't want to bow.

But don't worry, most of my fellow countrymen eat McDonalds, watch your shitty TV shows and superheroes movies, love NY, listen to your nigger rap (even if they are white middle/rich class) and vote for the presidential candidate the CIA tells them to.

We're just a minority hating your shitty and violent imperialistic way to dominate the world. Thanks god Russia and China will take over soon.
Thread posts: 19
Thread images: 3

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.