[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

The missile crisis

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 10
Thread images: 2

Hi /his/bros, I have a question for you. In light that nuclear missiles are the ultimate weapon of mass destruction, was the cuban missile crisis a real threat to human existance? was it a meme conflict just for the sake of propaganda war? Have there been another situation throughout history that people feared to be totally annihilated like this? discuss.
>>
File: 1473848983581.png (34KB, 239x202px) Image search: [Google]
1473848983581.png
34KB, 239x202px
>>1756493
I'll make a shameless self bump
>>
>>1756500
nice dubs
>>
>>1756493
>threat to human existence
No. It would have been a very significant setback, but not the end of the world.
>other situations
Yes, in the 80s nuclear war was a threat. It would have been much more destructive than a Cuban Missile war, but still not really threatening our existence as a species.
>>
>>1756493
> Mexico City

For what purpose?
>>
>>1756510
You think that neither Kruschev or Kennedy had the balls to spice things up? or they acted like civilized man thinking for humanity's sake?
>>
>>1756519
>fucking cubans they are a pain in the ass
>Hope no one else in the americas flip towards us
>hey let's include mexico in the map, they'll feel we are with them kek
>???
>>
no, within a few years technology had advanced to the point where an ICBM or submarine launched missile could hit any point on earth with ease, it was like 2 neighbors argued over a dogshit one day and the next each had a skip full of manure and neither of them wanted to press the issue any further, or something
>>
>>1756526
It was brinksmanship (as was much of cold war diplomacy). You push right to the edge because you know (or more like hope) the other side will stop short of war. It's risky, and if it doesn't result in war it results in an embarrassing climb-down. Fortunately for us, they chose losing face over nuclear war
>>
>>1756538
>Brinkmanship
thanks for the term, i'm not anglo and this helps a lot
Yes, then the Cold War was basically a bluffing circle that ended when the USSR collapsed... or something
Thread posts: 10
Thread images: 2

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.