[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

British imperialism and its effect on the environment

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 15
Thread images: 3

File: image.jpg (32KB, 290x174px) Image search: [Google]
image.jpg
32KB, 290x174px
Hey his/ I was wondering if you had any good reads on British colonialism effect on India's environment and economy.
I recently heard claim that Britain was searching for similar climates to emigrate to
Ex: New England and eastern Australia and South Africa
The person went on to say that when they landed in India they tried to change the land to more suit them.
How true is this? They were also saying stuff about British emmigrating to Argentina for the climate but as far as I can tell they never had Argentina as a colony
>>
>>1753004

Argentinians kicked British invasions..
>>
Sounds retarded to me for several reasons. First, brits didn't choose their colonies based on the weather, that's so silly it almost doesn't deserve a reply. Second, its not like British humans are different from others, they don't need to terraform to move

Honestly difficult to even address this question because it's so dumb
>>
>>1753045
I'm not saying I agree with it, I was just wondering if anybody would have a source on how the British would of had an effect on Indian environment
>>
>>1753045
Adding to this, most you could say is that brits brought their crops and animals with them and that effected environment. But that was simply because they knew how to use and farm them, not for some sort of terraforming purposes
>>
>>1753057
Google scholar is your friend. Try colonialism and crops as search terms or something
>>
>>1753069
Thank you for the help
>>
>>1753004
>pic is straight up from my contemporary world issues textbook

Is Duiker that popular? So far I'm underwhelmed, it seems incredibly simplistic for a textbook.
>>
>>1753004
Look at where the majority white (at least historically) colonies, Canada US, Argentina, Chile, South Brazil. They tend to be temperate or at least not trropical. The biggest areas of white colonisation in africa were the southern tip where it is pess malarial and highlands in Kenya.
>introduced species substantially changed many of the more temperate and other climates that were most similar to europes.
>also they were societies in Australia that purposefully introduced species.
>>
>>1753590
Right but I have a hard time believing that they went there because of the climate, and not that those places were the most prosperou, and part of that was the balanced climate
>>
>>1754200
You could prosper in tropical enviornments just as well as any temperate ones.
>>
>>1754226
Really? Cause I'd think it'd be a lot harder for 18th century settlers to prosper in Yemen than the eastern coasts of the United States.
>>
>>1754334
cherrypicking. it'd be a lot harder for 18th century settlers to prosper in nevada than guam.
>>
File: British_empire_map.png (48KB, 1500x740px) Image search: [Google]
British_empire_map.png
48KB, 1500x740px
>>1753004
Better image
>>
File: Klimagürtel-der-erde.png (662KB, 3600x1800px) Image search: [Google]
Klimagürtel-der-erde.png
662KB, 3600x1800px
>>1754200
Malaria, yellow fever and other tropical diseases, the most vunerable regions to europeans are are populated by societies that had lots of african slaves. Africans are more adapted to not dying of tropical diseases (see sickle cell anemia.
>https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Ecological_Imperialism:_The_Biological_Expansion_of_Europe,_900-1900
Thread posts: 15
Thread images: 3

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.