[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

Koreans in the Imjin war?

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 14
Thread images: 3

>sitting in History class, listening to lecture on Asian history half assedly
>History Professor: "Yeah, and um, the Japanese invaded Korea, but that isn't that important"
>Curiosity peaks and I find out it's called the Imjin war

But you see, I can't find info anywhere on the military construction of the Koreans, there is some on the Ming and a lot on the Japanese, but what units were there? What was the Korean military hierarchy? What kind of weapons and technology did they use? I'm primarily curious as to land units, any information would be appreciated!!
>>
>>1744905

The Admiral: Roaring Currents is a pretty cool Korean movie on the 2nd Imjin War, it's on Netflix. Don't take it as 100% historically accurate though.
>>
File: Hwacha_on_stand.jpg (2MB, 1728x2304px) Image search: [Google]
Hwacha_on_stand.jpg
2MB, 1728x2304px
10,000x pic related.
>>
>>1744905
This talks some about Korean tactics and weapons in the latter part of the war.

http://www.samuelhawley.com/imjinarticle2.html
>>
>>1744905
I don't know much about asian history but didn't chinese suppourt for the koreans during the Imjin war contribete to the ecomomic strain that caused the Ming dynsaty to weaken and eventally collpse? If so that would make it important even outside of Korea and Japan.

More on topic all I know is that they had pretty similar fire arms to the ming chinsese eg; a mix of hangonnes and arquebuses for handheld firearms, and small cannons and rocket carts for artillery. I think the Koreans usd heavy wood and Iron dart like giant crossbow bolts in their canons to sink ships.
>>
>>1744905
http://imgur.com/a/HPDgu
This might be of interest to you even though I can't speak for its accuracy
>>
>>1745980
>http://imgur.com/a/HPDgu
Shit source for the Ming.
>>
>>1744905
The Koreans used a vast array of weapons to defend themselves from the Japanese. As far as "units" go, Korea was not the military powerhouse that the Ming were or had the soldier-caste that the Japanese had.

Korean citizens often rose to the occasion. They utilized many weapons from their neighbors. Thanks to a proximity, and suffering invasions from them, the Koreans had quite a lot at their disposal. Although as willing as the Koreans were to defend their homes, bravery does not substitute skill or stop a blade from piercing flesh.

Gunpowder, swords, spears, and even rocks all came together to kill many Japanese. They just could not kill enough most of the time. Japanese soldiers butchered thousands. There is an article by a Buddhist monk who tried to stop the killings and his accounts sound very... disturbed. He definitely got a case of PTSD from what he witnessed.
>>
>>1745048
>I don't know much about asian history but didn't chinese suppourt for the koreans during the Imjin war contribete to the ecomomic strain that caused the Ming dynsaty to weaken and eventally collpse?
The Imjin War was far from the only conflict that drained the treasury the Bozhou,She An rebellions all played a part.

Peasant rebellions led by Wang Er,Zhang Xianzhong and Li Zicheng had nothing to do with the Imjin.
>>
>>1746191
Yeah, the impact of the war on the Ming seems to be tremendously overstated (I think we can blame Turnbull for this, as he claimed that it "gravely damaged the resources of Ming China"). It was obviously expensive, but so were the other two Wanli was managing at the same time, and probably nowhere near as disruptive/damaging as the rebellions you've mentioned alongside the general bureaucratic paralysis and financial crises in the later years.
>>
>>1746217
>Yeah, the impact of the war on the Ming seems to be tremendously overstated (I think we can blame Turnbull for this, as he claimed that it "gravely damaged the resources of Ming China")
I wouldn't trust Turnbull with any Ming specific data.

He takes Japanese clan records at face value where they tend to exagerate the Ming forces/casualties.

>English sources
Both Turnbull and Hawley are hacks with no
no mastery of Classical Chinese(can't read Ming or Joseon sources).

Turnbull also takes Edo period clan records at face value

See Works in English on the Imjin War and the Challenge of Research* by Nam-lin Hyur

Swope may have some unsound claims(overstating the role of Ming artillery) but he does a decent job at analyzing the Ming military and logistics.

> It was obviously expensive, but so were the other two Wanli was managing at the same time, and probably nowhere near as disruptive/damaging as the rebellions you've mentioned alongside the general bureaucratic paralysis and financial crises in the later years.
The Imjin War was heavy in monetary cost) but low in manpower.

Claims that the Imjin War enabled the rise of Nurhaci are far fetched(majority of the northern border soldiers left after the Japanese abandoned Hanseong)
>>
>>1746256
>I wouldn't trust Turnbull with any Ming specific data.
Yeah, I'm just saying that he's probably the one to blame for perpetuating that myth since he was the only scholar to write on the subject in any detail in English for a while.
>>
You think the Koreans had access to repeating crossbows and fire spears like the Ming? Or would they be more limited to regular swords and spears.

Also, what armor would the Ming and Koreans wear?
>>
>>1747884
>repeating crossbows
Meme weapon. Liu Ting's contingent of southwestern aborigines was the exception not the norm.

>fire lance
Replaced by the fast gun,three eyed gun and the arquebus.

>Ming armor
Cotton,brigandine and mail for the vast majority.

Some southern Ming soldiers used paper and leather.
Thread posts: 14
Thread images: 3

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.