[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

Redpill me on kite shields

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 14
Thread images: 6

File: download.jpg (4KB, 225x225px) Image search: [Google]
download.jpg
4KB, 225x225px
Redpill me on kite shields
>>
they don't fly very well if tied to a string
>>
>>1744746
They're also inferior to round shields, which can be thrown like a frisbee.
>>
>>1744731
That's a heater. Kite shields are the long fucks Normans used and pretty baller for early cavalry before leg armor evolved past long hauberks. Less than ideal for infantry fighting barring shieldwalls though given the shape.
>>
>>1745309

Not OP, why would kite be less effective than round shield for infantry fighting?

>arrows are less of a concern
>never have to move shield vertically to protect against leg attacks

Sure there is increased weight but these were generally strapped to the arm so weight is less of a concern.
>>
Either go scutum or go home.

Never do a half-assed job.
>>
>>1745388

>coverage stops at the knee

What the fuck? Get that weak shit out of here.
>>
>>1745373
It's not so much weight but balance. The length and shape make it so it has to be strapped to the arm and braced unlike round shields which limits the range of movement and their use as an offensive instrument. Also a lot easier to get hung up on the terrain or caught by someone's axe or the langets on a spear while someone else stabs you, not to say anything of latter polearms. The heater and slavic almond shields are a mixed infantry/cavalry compromise that work out a bit better there.
>>
File: 325610_20160721221914_1.png (3MB, 1920x1080px) Image search: [Google]
325610_20160721221914_1.png
3MB, 1920x1080px
>>1745388
A rectangular scutum isn't always the best thing for the job. If you need to pursue the enemy or engage a small band in a skirmish you're outta luck.
>>
File: Pancerni_muzeum_Wp.jpg (16KB, 241x360px) Image search: [Google]
Pancerni_muzeum_Wp.jpg
16KB, 241x360px
>>1745426
>If you need to pursue the enemy or engage a small band in a skirmish

That's what cavalry is for.
>>
File: rome.jpg (1MB, 1500x1000px) Image search: [Google]
rome.jpg
1MB, 1500x1000px
>>1745388

Seems to me the top three rows ought to overlap front to back, instead of back to front.

This makes it easier to deploy the shield vertically, with only two movements (back and down, instead of forward, back then down) and more importantly, prevents an arrow or javelin from skipping across the shields and getting under a gap.
>>
A lot of the usual drivel here so I guess I'll just post based Easton.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9OPDIZAWLHs

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=aZiROv3qzZs
>>
File: 1460091411253.jpg (19KB, 550x343px) Image search: [Google]
1460091411253.jpg
19KB, 550x343px
>>1745388
>dat filename tho
>>
>>1745401
Fuck off.
>The length and shape make it so it has to be strapped to the arm
Ignore the centuries of shields of greater size gripped in the fist
>Also a lot easier to get hung up on the terrain or caught by someone's axe or the langets on a spear while someone else stabs you, not to say anything of latter polearms
See above, but don't forget to ignore that being strapped to the forearm gives far better leverage for holding your shield in place to prevent this.

Ah, 4chan. The only fucking place where a shield can totally replace round shields for use on foot, just for people to say it's bad for use on foot.
Thread posts: 14
Thread images: 6

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.