[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

Why did it take until classical Greece for people to realize

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 11
Thread images: 2

File: ay_lamo.jpg (59KB, 640x560px) Image search: [Google]
ay_lamo.jpg
59KB, 640x560px
Why did it take until classical Greece for people to realize that the Earth isn't flat? What did ancient Egyptians and Sumerians think the horizon was?
>>
File: Conception of the World.png (1MB, 1600x1596px) Image search: [Google]
Conception of the World.png
1MB, 1600x1596px
This goes for all the ancient near east. The firmament is like metal layer that holds the waters above (until it's opened and a deluge comes and ends the world). Basically waters above and waters below. Poetic language in the Bible like the "heaven of heavens" actually make literal sense in their conception of the world.
>>
I also wonder wtf they thought was happening when a ship disappeared over the horizon
>>
>>1743841
They probably dismissed it as the ship getting smaller and smaller because of distance.
>>
Because most cultures weren't nearly as nautical as Greece was. Greek civilization (Or at least the important parts that survive to us today) were centered around the water.

Then eventually Pythagoras comes along, says the world is round, and Eratosthenes comes up with mathematical support for the idea.
>>
>>1743844
but you can see the masts of the ship above the horizon and the bottom of the ship below it when it's at a certain distance
>>
well how the fuck were they supposed to know different ?
>>
>>1743790
Egyptians did know the earth was round. They thought it was rolled by a giant dung beetle.
>>
>>1743895

That's very hard to see unless you're looking at a very tall ship through a telescope.
>>
>>1743831
wow that's such a shitty cosmology
>>
>>1743895
It's pretty easily explainable as the bottom of the ship getting covered by closer waves. Also:
>>1746794
Thread posts: 11
Thread images: 2

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.