[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

>Uses "BCE"/"CE" to mark dates

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 77
Thread images: 6

File: 300 mad.png (275KB, 500x738px) Image search: [Google]
300 mad.png
275KB, 500x738px
>Uses "BCE"/"CE" to mark dates
>>
>>1741874
this
>>
>>1741874

I use BJH and AJH (JH stands for "Jewish Homosexual")
>>
>>1741883
how can jesus be a homosexual if he had a wife
>>
>>1741874
how do fedoras explain the switch from "before common era" to "common era?"

do they at least acknowledge that jesus' birth fundamentally altered history or do they say the date change is because reasons or whatever?
>>
>>1741893
stop questioning it christcuck
>>
>>1741893
you do realize that the current estimate for Jesus's birth is actually 2 BC, right?
>>
>>1741901
>estimate
>bc

wew
>>
>>1741874
What's wrong with having the supposed Birth of Our Lord and Savior Jesus Christ of Nazzerith, Son of Mary, Son of God as the change over in your dating system, Fedoras?

No matter what you pick it's going to be an arbitrary date. Why change this? It's clearly motivated out of spite.
>>
>>1741905
The date of birth of Jesus of Nazareth is not stated in the gospels or in any secular text, but most scholars assume a date of birth between 6 BC and 4 BC.[47] The historical evidence is too sketchy to allow a definitive dating,[48] but the date is estimated through two different approaches - one by analyzing references to known historical events mentioned in the Nativity accounts in the Gospels of Luke and Matthew, and the second by working backwards from the estimation of the start of the ministry of Jesus.[49][50]

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Nativity_of_Jesus#Date_of_birth
>>
>>1741893
Its a completely arbitrary date, its kept because changing would be hard
>>
>>1741914
stop fucking questioning it christcuck
>>
>>1741888
>Implying marriages mean anything but proof of alliances
>>
>>1741901
YOU realize that the actual estimate is actually 4 BC, right?
>>
I'm not even Christian, and I use BC and AD. Why change it when it fucking works?
>>
Why are you so buttdevastated by it? It's a completely neutral and completely accurate name. It literally is the common era, i.e. it's the calendar the whole world uses. It was originally just a Christian calendar, obviously, but it's more than that now.
>>
>Christcucks complain about Common Era
>meanwhile, they're perfectly okay with months named after Roman emperors and weekdays named after pagan deities
>>
>>1741893
>Fedoras
The vast majority of the world isn't Christian.
The name was simply changed to make everyone else slightly less butthurt.
>>
>>1741874
Christ is hardly relevant for Indian/Chinese/Nipponese history so I get why Easterners don't use that shit.
>>
>>1743339
Not to mention Christmas, a tradition which literally has nothing to do with Christianity at all.
>>
>>1743302
This
>>
>>1743339
>nonchristcucks complain about BC and AD
>meanwhile, they're perfectly okay with months named after Roman emperors and weekdays named after pagan deities
>>
>>1743479

Except all the complaining is from Christians.
>>
>>1743479
They have different names in other cultures. Chinks just use fucking numbers for example.
>>
>>1743509
If it aint broke dont fix it.

Plus if you hate religion so much why not chane weekdays too? Pagan deities are still deities.
>>
>>1741874
this
>>
>>1741901
>>1741905
>>1741930
There's barely a shred of evidence that Jesus even existed, how could they possibly nail down the date of his birth to such accuracy?
>>
>>1743570
Some guy named Jesus surely existed.

There's a lack of evidence that he was ever a space wizard.
>>
>>1743525
>If it aint broke dont fix it.

Right, so Common Era is not broke, so stop your whining.

>Plus if you hate religion so much

Nothing to do with hating religion.
>>
>>1743608
it's fucking broke dude.

BCE and CE are easily mixed up since they have the same letters

AD and BC are never mixed up.

i'm atheist and I believe we should use AD/BC
>>
>>1743302
This generation is obsessed with being remembered for something no matter how arbitrary
>>
>>1743621
I think we should use AC/DC
>>
>>1741914
>Nazareth
ftfy
>>
>>1741893
Common era refers to the conventional calendar accepted by everyone regardless of their belief in the existence of Jesus and his spiritual status that Christ refers to.
Yes, it is based on the christian calendar.

But that's no reason to force ourselves to lie everytime we mention a year.
Because no, as you know even if you believe in him, 2BCE is not the second year before christ, and 2CE is not the "the second year of our lord".
Common era is the most accurate way to call it.
>>
>>1743729
>as you know even if you believe in him, 2BCE is not the second year before christ, and 2CE is not the "the second year of our lord".

yes they are.

>inb4 muh estimates
>>
>>1743740
Well, no, because muh estimates indeed. Inb4 don't make them wrong.
And even if you disagree with them, you must admit that no one knows precisely the year of birth of jesus and as such pretending that you're counting from it is stupid.
>>
>>1743621
>BCE and CE are easily mixed up since they have the same letters
>he's too retarded to recognize a B
>a fucking B
>BCE even has "BC" in it as a clue
actually consider suicide
>>
>>1743775
>no one knows precisely the year of birth of jesus

don't make the the traditional dating wrong.
>>
File: Naamloos-2.png (138KB, 350x350px) Image search: [Google]
Naamloos-2.png
138KB, 350x350px
>>1743570
NAIL down his birthdate?
>>
>before Christ
>anno Domini
That's disgusting. I'm not bothered by the religious origin, but using two different languages is just horrible.
>>
>>1743811
>Christ existing "Before Christ"
>not wrong
Christfag logic everyone
>>
>>1743820
Nice.
>>
>>1741874
I'm agnostic atheist and I still use BC/AD
From being raised Catholic I guess
>>
>>1743580
Uh yeah. Yeshua was the most common Jewish name at the time
>>
File: 1461533929187.jpg (25KB, 480x712px) Image search: [Google]
1461533929187.jpg
25KB, 480x712px
>not using AUC
>>
>>1743315
>It was originally just a Christian calendar, obviously, but it's more than that now.
As far as I checked most countries without a christian substrate don't use it.

Mussies use their own calendar.
Japan bases theirs on regnant emperors.
China uses their own
Even the fucking jews use their own

It's Christian through and through. It's unlikely any country that uses it has been anything other than:
1) Christian or former christian
2) (Former) Colony of protectorate of christian countries.

So no, fuck your "it's more than that now".

>>1743339
We're fine with those; we've never suggested they're anything other than that. We're not the ones trying to change Friday to Fifthday because MUH UNIVERSALITY.
>>
>>1743854
That's just the fault of english being shit.
In romanian we use Î.Hr. (Înainte de Hristos - Before Christ) and D.Hr (După Hristos - After Christ).
Personally I'd be slightly more fine with a chance to BC/AC, but personally I like the sound of "AD", so that would be my only argument against it; otherwise would be logical to do so.
>>
>>1744573
>Japan bases theirs on regnant emperors.
Not in my japanese animes.
>>
>>1744687
>my
Key word there.
>>
>>1741874
The fact that the BCE/CE divide is marked by Christ's birth/life is about as relevant today as the fact that Wednesday is named after Woden and that July is named after Divine Julius. It's an artifact carried over for convenience, not because of any religious relevance in the 21st century.
>>
>>1741874
>christcucks are 900% mad that their cultural relevance is steadily disappearing
Good to know.
>>
File: 1446126860461.png (141KB, 439x290px) Image search: [Google]
1446126860461.png
141KB, 439x290px
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Common_Era

>Use of the CE abbreviation was introduced by Jewish academics in the mid-19th century
>>
>>1744573
>As far as I checked most countries without a christian substrate don't use it.

Well then you're pretty shit at "checking" because you're completely wrong. Almost every country uses the Gregorian calendar.
>>
File: 1466269144413.jpg (7KB, 209x233px) Image search: [Google]
1466269144413.jpg
7KB, 209x233px
>>1746875
>>
https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=Unaq2x_ZqC4

>backwards chronology
>ascending dates
>>
>>1741874
Isn't it kind of eurocentric to claim that our calendar marks the beginning of Common Era? It's not common in the Muslim World
>>
>>1744573
The other calendars are just there for the sake of tradition. Don't kid yourself, everyone uses the Gregorian calendar nowadays.
>>
My only complaint is the additional letter on the BCE part. It just fucks up the aesthetic.

Also if we're going to rename the dates, we might as well pick a different event with genuine global importance as the start point. My suggestion is the Colombian Exchange.
>>
>>1743621
Why use the completely arbitrary "ANNO DOMINI" and "before CHRIST" when you can just standardize a new, more logical version?

In what way can you confuse BCE with CE? Do you also confuse -40 with 40?

In all honesty, I wish there was a movement to move it towards a less arbitrary date. The start of the Roman Republic sounds like a great marker, for example. However, that's pretty much impossible and we're way more likely to start a new calendar from a new zero.

>>1743641
I know that's the Spanish version but it makes no sense in any other language.
>>
>fedoralords literally cucking themselves by making the supposed birth of Christ the start of the common era
>>
>>1747449
>Anno Dominay
Goddamn it.

Fuck off Lindybeige. BC/AD isn't offensive, it's just inaccurate, somewhat cumbersome (two different languages, four different letters... it's dumb) and an easy change.

BCE/CE isn't harder to say, you're just more used to the alternative. This is the same argument Americans have against changing to the Metric system, and is just as convincing.

It's fun to find most of his arguments already parroted on this thread, though.
>>
>In all honesty, I wish there was a movement to move it towards a less arbitrary date. The start of the Roman Republic sounds like a great marker, for example. However, that's pretty much impossible and we're way more likely to start a new calendar from a new zero.

It was during the reign of Augustus, which was pretty significant.

>>1750331
Actually, it's the adoption of a specific calendar, but OK.
>>
>>1750302
>My suggestion is the Colombian Exchange.
That's a good idea. We would be in what, 524 AC?
>>
>>1750342
Yeah. I was thinking BE (Before Exchange) and PE (Post Exchange).
>>
>>1750359
Or perhaps FE (following exchange) or something. Just to satisfy my sense of autism at the latter period being alphabetically after the prior period, without the weirdness of describing something as "post" without describing its predecessor as "pre."
>>
>>1750372
It works in Spanish and it's oddly fitting, considering the context.

I'd even suggest using C for "Colombino" so that we can actually have AC/DC (Antes del intercambio Colombino, Después del intercambio Colombino).
>>
>>1750403
I like it, and not just because I have Thunderstruck stuck in my head. Let's make this happen.
>>
>>1750308
He was speaking about the rock group I guess
>>
>>1747984
>It's not common in the Muslim World

Yes it is. Only a couple countries don't use it.
>>
>>1743523
They also have a different calendar year.
>>
>>1744588
>>1743854
In dutch it's before and after Christ, seems perfectly logical to use and looks better than the retarded BCE/CE. Otherwise we might as well give the weekdays and months different names as well.
>>
Since the Revolution in France we say minus for BC and nothing at all for AD.

530 BC => -530
1914 AD = 1914
>>
>>1743641
>AC↯DC
>>
>>1750332
There's no will to change it, though. When it isn't enforced, every academic I've ever worked with has used BC/AD privately. The only one I've ever known who BCE/CE at all was an ultraliberal professor of the American Civil War who rather bizarrely used it when referring to the 19th century, I think just to make some sort of point.
>>
File: dolan.jpg (15KB, 310x232px) Image search: [Google]
dolan.jpg
15KB, 310x232px
>>1752049
Nice and simple.
>>
>>1750430
>>1750403
>>1751761
Nice taste in music, /his/
>>
>>1752148
It's pointless to get up in arms about it, but I think at the very least it's nicer than the old version.

BC/AD is just too dumb. If BC was instead "Priori Domini" (or however you say that, I can't into Latin) or AD was instead "After Christ" I'd probably be in favor of keeping them, but as it stands I think we're better of with the new version.
Thread posts: 77
Thread images: 6

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.