[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

Why did Indian/Hindu gods have multiple appendages and heads?

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 20
Thread images: 1

Why did Indian/Hindu gods have multiple appendages and heads?
>>
>>1727765
To carry more shit apparently
>>
>>1727765
To represent their multiple aspects.
>>
>>1727765
The gods have super-human attributes -- One way to show this visually would be to give them lots of extra bits, literally more than human. Another would be to show them as giants, or shining light out of their eyes, or haloate, or...
>>
>>1727773
Did they really need 18 arms to get that point across?
>>
>>1727765
Perhaps they believed their deities were four dimensional. Total shot in the dark here, I know next to nothing about Hindu beliefs.

It just looks like the deity depicted is drawn in the perspective of the fourth dimension; you know, the furthest appendages to the left are in the past, the furthest right in the future, and the center being the present.

Eastern cultures, looks at time circular and all that.
>>
>>1727765
What does he need those tiny axes for?
>>
>>1727765
Unlike you Westerners we Easterners are deep thinkers who use symbolism.

Pretty much everything in eastern religion has some symbolism in it. The only reason gods have multiple arms is so they can hold items that help identify the god's attribute.
>>
>>1727856
How do you know if I'm a westerner?
>>
>>1727765
Pretty common theme through out the world
>>
>appendages
Think of all the things humans do with their hands

Now think what you could do with thousands of hands

God is omnipotent

>Heads
God knows everything nigga, it symbolizes the 4 Vedas too

But if we're sticking to the literal mythology he couldn't get enough of Saraswati's smokin body and grew 4 faces to see her with
>>
>>1727856
t. Pajeet
>>
man, modern hindu art is kinda cartoony looking shite
>>
>>1727786
It could have infinite amount of arms because infinite amounts of work can be done with those hands.
>>
>>1727766
DESIGNATED
>>
>>1727856
Are you implying that western religion isn't littered with symbolism? Look closer.
>>
>>1727789
I was thinking they are the same being but in multiple worlds
>>
>>1727765
Because they're made up.
>>
>>1727765

It represents their superhuman abilities. they don't "actually" have extra limbs, but then they aren't "actually" humanoid or comprehensible by human minds.
>>
>>1727856
Christian art is the exact same shit. There's a reason Jesus and saints are depicted in unnatural static poses holding books or scripture while making hand gestures. It's obviously not supposed to be realism.
Thread posts: 20
Thread images: 1

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.