[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

Did they do anything right?

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 67
Thread images: 4

File: austriahungary.jpg (27KB, 500x333px) Image search: [Google]
austriahungary.jpg
27KB, 500x333px
Did they do anything right?
>>
Yes, up until 1914.
>>
>>1725448
They have, they've agreed on the Compromise of 1867 which placed them on the path of no return.
>>
End
>>
They killed Turks sometimes, that's always good
>>
They taught the world about the dangers of inbreeding.
>>
>>1725448
>Zollverein
>Common Currency.
>Central Bank.
>Shilled imperial culture to unite the ethnicities.
>Suffrage
>Kept a lid on Anti-Semitism.
WWI alone doomed it really. Blame it on ALL sides shilling nationalist movements to support war efforts (i.e. Russians shilling Panslavism in AH, AH shilling Ukrainian separatism in Russia, All three cajoling the Poles.)
>>
>>1726009
>Austria
>Zollverein
>>
>>1726011
I meant they had the same customs-less agreement across component principalities.
>>
well they did make an empire out of a bunch of completely unrelated cultures and peoples
too bad they were absolutely useless in war
>>
They started WWI which caused WWII which destroyed the Eternal Teuton beyond recovery

so yes
>>
>>1726032
Why are you complaining about the EU again?
>>
>>1726042
because it's shit
>>
>>1726042
Memes
>>
>>1726043
>Its shit! Its shit!
>T. Eastern European Freeloader.
>>
>>1726009
Pan-Slavism would've never become a thing if the Austrians didn't thread on the rights of it's Slavic citizens.They've only got themselves to blame for that.
>>
Can you tell me some examples of the horrible oppression minorities faced in AH, or is this idea just another meme?
>>
>>1726069
Because Germany is using a joint market to economically subjugate all of the smaller states, besides, East European members are giving more than they're receiving.
>>
>>1726089
Oh svetovid cries about slavs again
Where have you been the past month?
>>
>>1726091
Most "oppression" was largely cultural. And often done by Hungarians to the component ethnicities that used to belong to the medieval Kingdom of Hungary.

Usually involves Hungarians breathing down Croatian necks and going HURR YOUR NOT A NATION YOUR NOT A NATION.
>>
>>1725448
Yeah, they made Hitler.
>>
>>1726069
I tell you too that the EU is shit
t. Not eastern european
Bonus point for guessing nationality, tip: not british either
>>
>>1726091
Higher taxes in Slavic-dominated parts, refusal to invest in the infrastructure of Galicia, preventing the development of native literacy and the agreement on the Austro-Hungarian Compromise of 1867.
>>
>>1726102
t. Eastern European. You probably use that silly term, "Central European." to avoid getting associated with those poorshits.
>>
>>1726095
The difference between me and the average result of a pierced condom that pollutes this thread is that I actually have the decency to formulate arguments based almost solely on traceable information.If you consider that "crying", then you have no place here.

>Where have you been the past month?
Studying for my exams, Law is tedious to say the least, but at least it offers a bright future in my country.
>>
>>1726108
found the fingol polfag
kill yourself
>>
>>1726108
Wrong
I'll give you a last tip: it's a country to the west of Slovenia, Slovenia not included
>>
>>1726120
Moldavia .
>>
>>1726123
Oh svetovid how funny you are for Moldavia is not to the west of Slovenia but to its east
>>
>>1726127
HA-HA, FUNNY MEME.
>>
military competence
>>
>>1726129
You never will cease to crack me up with your humour
>>
File: Downs_syndrome.png (154KB, 1280x565px) Image search: [Google]
Downs_syndrome.png
154KB, 1280x565px
>>1726108
>>1726115
why are Finns so butthurt?
I guess it's the down syndrome.
>>
>>1726120
By the way, the correct answer was switzerland
>>
>>1725448

Preserved greater peace in Europe until it could no longer be done.
>>
>>1725448
No
>>
>>1725448
the flag implies post-ausgleich monarchy, so I'm gonna go with a soft no

I mean the fact that it survived up until 1918 is a borderline miracle so perhaps yes for every day it did. It was a fucked up mixture of ethnicities that got put into the empire as the turks were pushed the fuck back, which I suppose seemed like a win-win at the time but after the turks got pushed back real far, it was bound to cause unrest.

Perhaps could have existed to this day if it had went with the federalization plan and maybe avoided entering WWI.
>>
>>1726091
It's a meme because they were told to speak a different language in government and school
>>
>>1726273
>It was a fucked up mixture of ethnicities
It was a remnant of what used to be a reality all over Europe.

If anything, the Nation-state is the weird one within the point of view of Empires that have been around before the idea went around Europe.
>>
>>1726280
>It was a remnant of what used to be a reality all over Europe.
I get what you're saying but in 1866 you better have some unity or do the thing the swiss (or supposedly albanians before turkish conquest) did where you tell all your ethnicities and language groups "look, let's rally around the state we have vs. all outsiders". And in school I was told this was the plan in 1914, I guess it was too late at that point.
>>
let us not overplay the multiple ethnicities = bubble waiting to burst
after the aus-hun compromise there was very little clamor for the empire to end or even federalization
even someone like the czechs largely pushed only for a greater degree of autonomy or their own input at the higher levels of government
that the monarchy was a rotten structure that was inevitably bound to fail is *literally* a product of postww1 british propaganda
>>
>>1726286
Point.

But I really dont buy into the "too late." It was "too late" because the war happened. Not because people started overdriving their nationalist movements by themselves.
>>
nationalism was a mistake :^(
t. Slav
>>
>>1726278
>being taught a foreign language in a multi-ethnic state

Oh the horror!
>>
>>1726300
Well, linguistic nationalism was a mistake.
>>
>>1726091
Lots the of the "oppression" was because the various groups of the government, especially on a local level, were controlled by wealthy individuals who rigged elections and whatnot. The Austrians tried to make it fair, but greed and then uppity nationalists kept getting in the way.
>>
They spent the war confirming that Italy was and would always be the Butt Monkey of Europe.
>>
>>1726320

all nationalism is basically tribalism renamed to sound more fancy and """"""civilized'''''''""""
>>
Colonized Slovenia & Czechoslovakia etc
>>
>>1726453
All governments are tribalism renamed to sound more civilized
>>
>>1726009
>suffrage
There was no universal suffrage in the Kingdom of Hungary. That part of the Empire was among the most backward countries in Europe along with Russia.
>>
File: 1471900054192.jpg (40KB, 403x403px) Image search: [Google]
1471900054192.jpg
40KB, 403x403px
Who /austrianaswellashungarianancestorsfrompaternalandmaternallines/ here
>>
>>1726032
>They started WWI
Either Eternal Anglo or Eternal Serb, dunno which is worse.
>>
>>1729318
Maternally Hungarian, paternally Spanish.
>>
They helped fuel Italian irredentism and the consequently contributing to the rise of the National Fascist Party.
>>
>>1729329
Just to follow up, Nikola Pasic is quite possibly one of the worst leaders in world history.
>>
If not for the Treaty of Vienna the 19th century imperialism would've gone as smoothly

so you're welcome Europe
>>
Why did Austria-Hungary never seek overseas colonies like other Europeans and Japan did in the late 19th and 20th century? It seemed most countries of decent power were doing it.
>>
Hapsburg rule allowed a lot of european high culture to flourish.
>>
>>1729544
not a tradiational naval power.

England, France, Spain and Portugal were naval powers.

Germany grabbed a few bits of africa and SEasia that the others didn't.
>>
>>1726091
The Kingdom of Hungary in general. They deserved to get Serberd
>>
>>1725448
Vlad the Impaler was technically Hungarian, despite Transylvania being independent.
>>
>>1729575
If they did colonise would German or Hungarian be taught/enforced onto the colonised population?
>>
>>1725448
Yes, they were a prosperous hub of European culture for almost half a millennium. Why do you start threads about things you only know memes and superficial information about?
>>
>>1729544
They did
>The Ostend Company was Austrian and was extraordinarily profitable in the East and West Indies until the Brits forced the Austrians to shut it down
>due to their participation in the supression of the Boxer Rebellion, they recieved a small treaty port concession in Tianjin. They held it for about two decades and there's still some Austrian architecture there
>A-H tried to start a colony in the Nicobar Islands, but it was abandoned because of lack of support from the Emperor
>while the Habsburgs controlled Spain, Austria received funds from their colonization of the Americas
Overall they really didn't do much. It wasn't due to failure, but rather disinterest. Chalk this up to what you will.
>>
>>1725448
The Habsburgermonarchie wa cool, but the empire and AH were pretty fucking shit.
>>
File: 1420553661958.png (910KB, 1162x850px) Image search: [Google]
1420553661958.png
910KB, 1162x850px
>>1727504
hehehehe
Thread posts: 67
Thread images: 4

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.