[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

Who were the biggest meme soldiers in history?

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 292
Thread images: 43

File: 800px-Landsknechte.jpg (148KB, 800x434px) Image search: [Google]
800px-Landsknechte.jpg
148KB, 800x434px
Who were the biggest meme soldiers in history?
>>
Winged hussars.
>>
Spartans because they were literally a meme even in antiquity
>>
File: Cataphract.jpg (72KB, 500x637px) Image search: [Google]
Cataphract.jpg
72KB, 500x637px
>>1721909
>>
>>1721913

+1
>>
19th century Italians
>>
>>1721913
They weren't a meme, they were just too busy keeping their own subjects suppressed 24/7 to do much of anything useful.
>>
The SS
>>
>>1721909
germanic doppelsoldiers for sure
else
all
>>
>>1721929
>cavalry archer memes
>>
File: 58EllQ2.jpg (118KB, 640x427px) Image search: [Google]
58EllQ2.jpg
118KB, 640x427px
>>1721909
Maybe not in history but definitely in modernity.
>>
>>1721941
>helots
>citizens

>>1721911
>btfo, the thread
>>
>>1722040
I didn't call them citizens, I called them subjects.
>>
File: samurai.jpg (51KB, 500x500px) Image search: [Google]
samurai.jpg
51KB, 500x500px
Is that even a question?
>>
>>1722050
>samurai
>soldiers
>>
>>1722053
This. The samurai were enforcers of the emperor, and were proficient only at killing unarmed farmers. The ninjas gave them a run for their money.
>>
>>1722086
what do they say, you're only as good as your last defeated opponent, +1?
>>
>>1721929
Cataphracts were actually useful unlike the supreme meme Varangian Guard
>>
>>1721909
What the fuck is a meme soldier?
>>
>>1722086
"Ninjas" never existed they werd made up in the 60s for movies and to scam fat westeners with bullshido
>>
>>1722140
I assume a soldier whose reputatuin is much bigger than their actual worth in real battles.
>>
>>1722152
Ninjas as black-pajama warriors like you see them represented didn't exist, but actual ninjas did exist as plain-clothes spies and assassins.
>>
>>1722140
japanese kamakazee pilots, islamic suicide bombers, school shooters
>>
>>1722086
Samurais got their asses kicked by the Cinese army in Korea. Do I need to say more?
>>
>>1722140
oh and hitler
>>
>nobody mentioned the Swiss yet

They got buttfucked into European Neutrality in the 16th Century, but people still can't stop sucking their dicks about how good mercenaries they are.
>>
>>1721911
Undefeated for 127 years, freund.

>>1721909
Vikings.
>>
>>1722175
Having some impressive feats is exactly what made them a biggest meme in the entire Polish history.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=X_eitsafGWw

link related, your theme song
>>
>>1722034
What am I looking at?
>>
>>1722132
>the supreme meme Varangian Guard

Fucking this.
>>
>>1722766
danish frog corps
>>
Tercios
>>
>>1721913
/thread
>>
>>1721911
>get shit done
>meme
butthurt german detected
>>
File: image017-8f100[1].jpg (53KB, 400x300px) Image search: [Google]
image017-8f100[1].jpg
53KB, 400x300px
Nobody has gotten the correct answer yet.
>>
>>1721909
That >>1723139 also and amazons
>>
>>1721909
The German Army in WWI.
The Army of the CSA.
>>
>>1721913
five Daric have been deposited in your account
>>
>>1723353
Confederates performed much better than the Union armies did in even strength matches. Despite being poorly equipped and supplied. The Union just out produced and had hundreds of thousands of disposable immigrants to throw at the South.
>>
>>1723353
I understand your sentiment, but your conclusions are quite a ways off the mark
>>
>>1723406

>durr they didnt fight fair dats why we didnt win

Is it possible that the slavery economy made the south so backwards it had no industry or incentive for immigrants to go there and didnt have a chance anyway?
>>
>>1722152
Aye this nigga stupid as fuck
>>
>>1723414
I don't think he was implying that the Union didn't fight fair; he was implying that the Confederate army weren't "meme soldiers" due to their regularly outperforming their Union counterparts
>>
>>1722050
Am I the only one who thought the hilt was his dick?
>>
>>1723435

Thats only because the confederates were fighing a defensive war against an incompetently led opposing force for most of the war
>>
Gurkhas

not cause they don't get shit done, but in the manner they do it
>>
>>1723446
The Confederates did well offensively too so
>MUH DEFENSE
is moot
>>
>>1723458

He said meme soldiers not dank meme soldiers
>>
>>1721909

The British in the Second World War are a strong competitor
>>
>>1722895
>Dominated Europe for 200 years
>Meme

Anglo cunt
>>
>>1723458
>I will kill you
What did he mean by this?
>>
>>1724332
common islamic greeting to someone you wish peace upon
>>
>>1723139
This is so noticeable in history video games. Longbowman are always OP as fuck
>>
>>1722895
How were the Tercios a meme? I'm curious. They had pretty good success. Didn't they BTFO out of the Turks at Lepanto when it came to hth combat and have widespread success in genereal?
>>
>>1723458
Why does he have a rat on his patch?
>>
>>1722132
>>1722809
You mean the guard that performed well in literally every battle they fought in?
>>
>>1722171
>They got buttfucked into European Neutrality
No, just french neutrality.
>>
>>1721909
landsknechts
winged hussars
Napoleon's old guard
samurais
ninjas
indian rajputs
tatar archers
cossacks
italian soldiers
>>
Elephants
>>
>>1722086
I think he meant that "samurai" is a class of people, meaning men, women and children, anyone under the hereditary heir or appointed but the shogunate, rather than a term for warrior
>>
>>1724942
>landsknechts
literally comprised a large % of central European armies for a century or two.
>winged hussars
a decent heavy cavalry force
>Napoleon's Old Guard
literally outperformed the best Austrian, Prussian, Russian, and British units regularly, especially in regards to the officer corp.
>italian soldiers
you mean that its a meme that they're so bad?
>>
African child soldiers.

Generally they're around 15 yet the media still treat them like they're infants with one foot out of the crib.
>>
>>1724874

>Didn't they BTFO out of the Turks at Lepanto when it came to hth combat

lol no
>>
>>1724952

war elephants were always meant to be used for psychological shock purposes, not as an actual replacement for heavy cavalry

t. expert on ancient and medieval Indian warfare
>>
>>1725006
good point
nigs do worse shit in america on a daily basis and at younger ages
at least soldiers are getting some discipline
although it's still fucking horrible
>>
>>1723139
Ah October 25, 1415, best day of my life
>>
Scythed Chariots
>>
File: spartan-weapons.jpg (38KB, 332x530px)
spartan-weapons.jpg
38KB, 332x530px
>>1721909
It's clearly these guys

>Everyone sucks their dicks over 'muh l33t warrior culture'
>Regularly BTFO by part time militia
>In constant fear of their slaves
>Infamous for always finding excuses to not fight/leave their homeland
>Consort with the enemies of Greece in fight against Athens
>Finally manages to defeat Athens only after the city suffered plague and the loss of an entire generation due to war
>Get kicked out of city after a decade and ruin the jewel of Greece forever

Meme soldiers, through and through
>>
>>1723139
British units are a meme in any game thanks to endless Anglo propaganda infecting even video games.
>>
Republican Guard, 1990. They were memed so hard the world thought they were gonna be a threat. 4th largest army in the world don't mean shit when your soldiers are fools and your generals smart enough to pull them the fuck out when NATO started pulling German invasion maneuvers
>>
>>1725273

nobody seriously thought they were a threat against the combined might of US, NATO, and UN-assembled coalition.

against a neighboring country like Iran, Kuwait, Syria, Jordan, or Saudi Arabia? Sure.

the 'elite Republican Guard' didn't even have any sort of body armor on ffs
>>
US Marines
>>
>>1725291

this 2bh

they've been a propaganda meme since WWII (when they actually mattered)

actual wars are won by air power now
>>
>>1725293
>actual wars are won by air power now
Wrong. Air power is massively overrated. Wars are, as they have almost always been, won by infantry. Everything else is just support for the infantry. Air force was as its most useful in WW2 when there were hundreds of thousands of planes made.
>>
>>1725215

Which is what makes them a meme
>>
>>1725211
https://es.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Tercio_Costa_de_Granada
>>
>>1723406
>Confederates performed much better than the Union armies did in even strength matches.
The use of antiquated tactics on both sides favored the defender, and in most of the cases the defender was the confederacy. To put it in perspective, the bayonet charge was about as effective in the Civil war as it was in World War I, and it wasn't for lack of trying, either.

The moment that the Confederates went on the offensive, Gettysburg happened.

And in any event that only mattered in the eastern theater. General Grant had no problems smacking the confederates up and down the Mississippi.
>>
>>1723560
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Battle_of_Gettysburg
>>
>>1725299
Saying modern wars are won by any specific division of a military isn't realistic. Every component plays a crucial role and complements another one. Air power is equally important to infantry. In some instances infantry is more
Useful. In a lot of instances infantry might not be used at all. It depends on objectives. Air strikes might meet your logistical and political constraints better than boots on the ground.
>>
>>1725393
>Saying modern wars are won by any specific division of a military isn't realistic

It only took 2 planes to beat Japan.
>>
>>1723442
>implying it's not
TO BECOME SAMURAI ONE MUST MAKE MANY SACRIFICES
>>
>>1725266
Got beaten by homos too
>>
>>1725266
>>Infamous for always finding excuses to not fight/leave their homeland

Explain
>>
>>1724882
Desert Rats patch.
>>
>>1726082
BIG
>>
>>1722243
Poland was only conquered twice in her entire history.
>>
>>1721909
clearly the motherfuckin Assyrians, google the battle of the twelve kings where they ass raped 12 nations including: Egypt, niggers, sand-niggers, the two Aryan kings of the north..
>>
File: The-Battle-of-Midway-.jpg (187KB, 518x648px) Image search: [Google]
The-Battle-of-Midway-.jpg
187KB, 518x648px
>>1726050
>he doesn't realize Japan lost the war at Midway
wew lad
>>
>>1724942
this post is a meme
>>
File: 554545455.jpg (186KB, 552x640px)
554545455.jpg
186KB, 552x640px
>>1721909
Everything Wehraboo
>>
>>1725293
You need only look at Vietnam to know why that's not true.
>>
>>1726248
Vietnam is not the best example. You're probably referring to the clusterfuck that was Rolling Thunder, but The Paris Peace Accords came about because of Linebacker and Linebacker II. The NVA literally came to the table because they were tired of getting the everliving shit bombed out of them to the point that they couldn't mount an offensive.
>>
>>1723353
The Germans were 60-70 miles from Paris you cuck
>>
>>1724942
>rajputs
>kept arabs at bay when everyone west of them got overrun repeatedly by islamic hordes.
>bled successive sultanates dry
>formed an important part of early british military successes against the marathas.
>>
>>1725337
>nearly perfect anti cavalry weapon
>regularly were an important component of subcontinental armies right up until the marathas gained power
>meme
no anon. You are the meme.
>>
>>1726263
they also lost
>>
Spartans. They were just stubborn rednecks using outdated tactics which is why a bunch of twinks from Thebes and nerds from Athenes kicked their asses.

Vikings because killing unarmed people and getting wrecked the moment someone picks up a pitchfork is hardly fucking impressive.
>>
>>1726263
And they got stopped by less numerous Frenchmen in taxi cabs...
>>
File: Agincourt.jpg (153KB, 1056x415px) Image search: [Google]
Agincourt.jpg
153KB, 1056x415px
>>1723139
How are they a meme, the English army was so dis-proportionally Long bowmen at Agincourt yet they still won, and they fucked the Crossbowmen at Crecy
>>1725272
never played a game were the British units were OP, they always have seemed accurate to me, you sound butt hurt
>>
>>1724924
>dude they are vikings lmao xD
>that's why the first recruits came from Kievan Rus where only the ruling class (which slavicized quickly anyway) had any norse blood
>that's why it consisted only of Saxons later on xD
>>
>>1726082
They had wives for fucks sake there were no gays in modern sense back then.
>>
>>1724332
lel
>>
>>1722086
> The samurai were enforcers of the emperor
that's not how feudalism works
>>
the Nazis

They're portrayed as being super high tech and efficient, which is really not true. They were still reliant on horses. They never had the right kit.
>>
>>1726144
>only conquered twice
What an achievement.
>>
>>1723139
>>1725272
>>1726294
Longbowmen are okay
The real British meme soldiers are redcoats
They were utter garbage by european standards and got humiliated in most of their engagements, but because they were better trained that American peasant rebels, Americans pushed the meme of them being high quality troops and now some cretins believe they were the best of the world in their era
>>
>>1721911
Conveniently ignore the island hopping campaign and naval battles which utilized: air power, infantry, naval power, and amphibious landings that made dropping those bombs possible. Also drop a nuke bomb now. See what happens. It's international suicide.
>>
>>1724977
>literally outperformed the best Austrian, Prussian, Russian, and British units regularly
they didn't even fight regularly

the real guys were the voltigeurs
>>
File: Vikings.jpg (1MB, 1920x1200px) Image search: [Google]
Vikings.jpg
1MB, 1920x1200px
has any show or game portrayed Vikings accurately, without fur and leather amour, without berserkers and with this weird hearty warrior personality, like all Norse men of the time were constantly patting their belly's and laughing like some odd Skyrim character, basically they all seem to have fake personalities, I think the meme originates from the 60's or something, also their pagan religion seems to get butchered, defiantly a meme
>>
>>1726326
if men in the past were portrayed accurately we'd think they were autistic manlets because men in the past were autistic manlets
>>
>>1726263
>>1723353

Actually they marched about 23 miles away from paris
>>
>>1726144
>Polish partion of 1790
>Poland restored in 1807 by France with Napoleon

>Polish partion of 1815
>Poland restored in 1918 by France with Clemenceau

>Polish partion of 1939
>France once again went to war to restore it but miserably failed, and since no else gave gave a shit about Poland, it remained at Soviet hands until the USSR collapsed

That's three times to me
>>
>>1726314
>by european standards and got humiliated in most of their engagements

this sounds like a meme, to which engagements are you referring, Britain rarely went into large scale wars in Europe and the times we did we usually were on the winning side, does the Spanish peninsular, Waterloo, Crimea ring any bells, they were probably just as good as any other European army, I'm guessing your either French or eastern European, I say this because it seems Eastern Europeans don't have the slightest clue about British history so just assume they are shit
>>
>>1726314
>muh American boogeyman
Oh fuck off, big bad Americans aren't responsible for literally every historical misconception. Perhaps, I don't know, the British pushed the meme of their redcoats, being that they were well trained, expendable, and they had the power projection to send them where they were needed at a time when most European nations just couldn't do the same.
>>
>>1726326
>I think the meme originates from the 60's or something,
It comes from classical opera, which includs the meme that vikings wore horned helmets
>>
>>1726326
>without fur

oh but they even traded fur and did wear it just not those fucking DnD-esque fur vests and not n the summer
>>
>>1726333
>this sounds like a meme, to which engagements are you referring

Most battles of the French and Indian War, French Revolutionary Wars and Napoleonic Wars

In the French and Indian Wars it took them a decade to beat a French force they outnumbered 4 to 1, and they suffered many humiliating defeats despite numbers advantage

In the French Revolutionary Wars they literally got kicked from the continent twice by a conscript army they outnumbered (Flanders Campaign and Anglo-Russian Invasion of Holland)

And in the Napoleonic Wars, they focused on a secondary theater Napoleon couldnt be assed to visit, yet they still managed to be stalled for 6 years by a secondary French army (and some Polish units) despite having them outnumbered most of the time
I won't mention how they also kept trying to invade the Netherlands only to be repulsed by smaller forces each time.

The redcoats were a meme army
There's a reason why american peasants could beat them (and no it wasnt guerilla tactics, the US revolution was fought in line battles)
Britain had a great navy but their army was the laughingstock of Europe
>>
>>1723343
Is there anyone who even argues Amazons existed? It's like calling Heracles a meme warrior.
>>
Euro Knights were the ultimate meme.

>lose to shitty arab armies
>lose to mongols
>lose to any actual resistance
>m'lady tip tip
>pretend to do the cucking
>actually cucked by shitty lords
>more entitled then samurai
>muh social standing
>>
>>1726380
>Saracens
>arab

and they were hardly shitty
>>
Paratroopers. Doesn't matter who they serve. Paratroopers are the biggest meme of modern combat.
>>
>>1726348
this is horse shit
>In the French and Indian Wars it took them a decade to beat a French force they outnumbered 4 to 1, and they suffered many humiliating defeats despite numbers advantage

that's not true, first of all they were called the Mysore wars because it was mainly the Mysorians and the war was between the east india company and some Indian allies against the full force of Mysore and some French allies, and the company still won all of the wars

>the French Revolutionary Wars

we hardly even fought in them and hardly had any troops on the Continent at the time, in fact we were more worried of getting invaded which happened once, 1,400 French landed in England and were forced to surrender by just 500 militia

>And in the Napoleonic Wars, they focused on a secondary theater Napoleon couldnt be assed to visit

yeah because it was easier to weaken the French in their weakest points, that's not weakness that just being smart something you clearly lack, besides we fought Napoleon head to head at Waterloo, the combined armies of the Prussians and British would have been more than the French just, but we had the fight the French alone for a long time until the Prussians arrived and still won

British redcoats were good soldiers, I'm not going to say they were the best in Europe bu they defiantly were not a shitty meme troop that were incompetent, read more
>>
>>1726391
Elaborate.
>>
File: 1473945485863.jpg (22KB, 651x719px) Image search: [Google]
1473945485863.jpg
22KB, 651x719px
>>1725272

>British
>Anglo
>>
>>1726352
Belive me or not, yes there's people who believes the amazons existed due to "muh scythian women buried with weapons".
>>
>>1726399

>"I got a good idea! How about we dump a bunch of lightly armed men behind enemy lines have have them wait on ground forces that could be held up or not come at all! What could possibly go wrong."

Well trained, undoubtedly, but disastrous. (Market Garden, Crete, Normandy Landings etc)
>>
>>1726157
Looks like they were badass guys who coukd only be defeated by weaker betas ganging against them.
>>
>>1726409
>Operation Overlord
>disastrous
Wut. The paratroopers did their job remarkably. I think you have a fundamental misunderstanding of what paratroopers are meant to do.
>>
File: indx.png (83KB, 322x996px) Image search: [Google]
indx.png
83KB, 322x996px
>>1726394
>that's not true, first of all they were called the Mysore wars because it was mainly the Mysorians and the war was between the east india company and some Indian allies against the full force of Mysore and some French allies, and the company still won all of the wars
I really don't need to go beyong that point because you already proved yourself a retard and lost the argument.
But I'll still inform you that the "French and Indian War" was the war for the control of North America (pic related), not for India
France was barely ever present in India and fought like two battles there

>we hardly even fought in them and hardly had any troops on the Continent at the time, in fact we were more worried of getting invaded which happened once, 1,400 French landed in England and were forced to surrender by just 500 militia
You sent an army of several dozen thousands in Belgium in 1792 and they had been kicked out in 1795
You tried again in 1799 when a combined Anglo-Russian force of 40,000 tried to invade Holland before being repulsed by a smaller Franco-Dutch force.
I don't think the joke battle you cited where 1,400 French convicts were forced to invade England alone in a suicide mission and mutined upon arrival compares to these two large scale campaigns

>yeah because it was easier to weaken the French in their weakest points, that's not weakness that just being smart something you clearly lack
Still the British were very bad at doing that
Had the Russian or the Prussian army been the one facing the Napoleon-less outnumbered secondary French army in Spain, they'd have reached the Pyrenees in months, but of course for the British it took 6 years
>>
>>1726417

The Paradrops in Normandy was a clusterfuck and was saved by the Allied landings. Sure, it's all rosy now, but on the landing day it looked like a shitshow to everyone.

The only successful drop was Operation Varsity and that was because the Krauts were on their last legs.
>>
>>1726332
>France
>went to war
>1939
>>
>>1726430
>and was saved by the Allied landings
So you DO have a fundamental misunderstanding of the intention of paratroopers. The whole intent is to capture strategic objectives and to hold them as long as possible while preventing enemy counterattacks. They weren't "saved." They did their job. That was literally their entire job, to hold onto bridges and pin reinforcements. Don't get me wrong, the Normandy drops WERE fucked up, but it isn't because paratroopers are some kind of memery. It's because of the use of something extremely new to the United States and fairly new to the rest of the Western Allies. They weren't prepared. Op: Market Garden showed noticeable improvement by the United States, though Britain faltered. Varsity didn't succeed because of German failure like you're trying to state. It succeeded because of adaptation of airborne forces over the course of the war.

tl;dr
Read a book and do some research
>>
>>1726394
Dude not him but what the fuck are you talking about? French and indian war refers to american indians, the redskin feather on head kind.
>>
>>1726450
What was the reason why France declared war on Germany in WW2 again?
Oh yes, Pooland
>>
>>1726457
He's referring to Carnatic wars that were contemporary with the French Indian War, I'm guessing. The 7 (technically) Year's War was the first true world war.
>>
>>1726462
technically 9*
>>
>>1726422
I thought you were literally referring to French Anglo wars in India, but you are referring to a war were Britain was on the offensive pretty much the whole time, capturing fort after fort, of course we would face more casualties and thus need more men, but we still won it so I don't get your problem

>You sent an army of several dozen thousands in Belgium in 1792

I don't know what you are referring to here I couldn't find anything about that, I know we failed an invasion to reinforce some rebels in Belgium but the French had an army of 300,000 troops moving north so what do you expect

>You tried again in 1799 when a combined Anglo-Russian force of 40,000

I'm pretty sure you are referring to the Russian Prussian combined force that crossed the rhine in that year, because I couldn't find anything on that either, the only military action we did in that year was beat Napoleon out of Egypt with the Ottomans

>I don't think the joke battle you cited where 1,400 French convicts were forced to invade England alone in a suicide mission and mutined upon arrival compares to these two large scale campaigns

I think you missed the point, they were beaten by 500 militia and it was to prove that the French faced less of a threat of invasion from us then we did from them, I was not using that to brag or anything

>Still the British were very bad at doing that
Had the Russian or the Prussian army been the one facing the Napoleon-less outnumbered secondary French army in Spain, they'd have reached the Pyrenees in months, but of course for the British it took 6 years

your mean after Napoleon lost 3/4 of his army invading Russia, there was no such luxury in Spain, the war would go on longer because a lot of it was guerrilla fighting on harsh terrain, I don't think we did bad in that war at all, Napoleon just outstretched himself in the east, whereas Spain was guarded quite heavily
>>
File: wwww.png (281KB, 696x1664px) Image search: [Google]
wwww.png
281KB, 696x1664px
>>1726462
>>1726464
Nope
The Spanish Succession was the first world war
>>
>>1721909
Swiss mercaneries
>>
>>1726474
The difference between WSS and 7YW is that while the WSS had battle fought on every continent, it didn't have belligerents from every continent. 7YW did.
>>
>>1726219
Butthurt slavaboo old go
>>
>>1726486
Pls*
>>
>>1726469
>You sent an army of several dozen thousands in Belgium in 1792
>I don't know what you are referring to here I couldn't find anything about that
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Flanders_Campaign

>You tried again in 1799 when a combined Anglo-Russian force of 40,000
>I'm pretty sure you are referring to the Russian Prussian combined force that crossed the rhine in that year, because I couldn't find anything on that either, the only military action we did in that year was beat Napoleon out of Egypt with the Ottomans
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Anglo-Russian_invasion_of_Holland

If you're so shit at history, why even bother to argue?

>your mean after Napoleon lost 3/4 of his army invading Russia, there was no such luxury in Spain
There was also no Napoleon and no Grande Armee
Only a secondary French army mostly composed of inexperienced conscripts and wounded from the real war
>>
>>1726458
>France
>declaring war
>1939
>>
>>1723442
I chuckled heartily.
>>
>>1724882
Motivational patch with his favorite pokeman.
>>
>>1726101
Both at Marathon and at Thermopylae they didn't send their entire army, claiming something about rituals.
Probably there are many other less know examples, Sparta was notorious for fighting through their allies, only sending them support, like drillmasters.

The excuses were probably bullshit too The Spartans were always very careful when commiting their soldiers, because even if they won, if their losses were too great they would take a heavy demographic hit, and also have trouble containing their very numerous slaves.

Unlike Athens, which was huge and very rich, so they just threw their soldiers whenever.
>>
>>1726491
>https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Flanders_Campaign

>https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Anglo-Russian_invasion_of_Holland

literally knew nothing about these inconsequential wars, so your trying to proove the Redcoats were shit by only siting wars in which we have contributed a few troops and commanders
seems a little retarded, I'd like to know how many of the soldiers who fought in those wars were actually British, the links don't say
>>
>>1726509
>we have contributed a few troops and commanders

Are you for real?
In the Flanders campaign the British army numbered 50,000 men and lost 20,000.
In the 1799 Invasion, the British army numbered 20,000.
These were very important campaigns with the goal to thwart the French Revolution and restore the old order back.

Just because you only know about meme battles like Trafalgar and the Nile doesnt mean these werent relevant
The point btw is that British troops were deployed in large numbers on the continent and proved so incompetent they had to be evacuated soon after
>>
>>1726509
Did you just call these two campaigns "wars"?
Not sure why the other dude insists on trying to argue with you, you're obviously a 15 years old with no basic historical knowledge
>>
File: African paratroopers.jpg (1MB, 1280x4079px) Image search: [Google]
African paratroopers.jpg
1MB, 1280x4079px
>>1726391
except for economies which can't afford fancy Blackhawks and APCs
>>
>>1721929
Latin scum detected.
>>
>>1722895
>>1725211

>The care that was taken to maintain a high number of "old soldiers" (veterans) in the units, and their professional training, together with the particular personality imprinted on them by the proud hidalgos of the lower nobility that nurtured them, made the tercios for a century and a half the best infantry in Europe. Moreover, the tercios were the first to efficiently mix pikes and firearms. Tercio companies dominated European battlefields in the sixteenth century and the first half of the seventeenth century and are seen by historians as a major development of Early Modern combined arms warfare.

>Battle of Lepanto: An advantage for the Christians was their numerical superiority in guns and cannon aboard their ships, as well as the superior quality of the Spanish infantry.

Stevens, William Oliver and Allan Westcott (1942). A History of Sea Power
>>
File: Gentlemen_of_France.jpg (303KB, 2701x1409px) Image search: [Google]
Gentlemen_of_France.jpg
303KB, 2701x1409px
>>1726314
>They were utter garbage by european standards
British redcoats actually performed well for what they had. The Continental Europeans could field way more men than the English/British because Britain's priority was a big navy. When the British army did deploy on the continent they performed exceptionally well against their counterparts. See Marlborough's battles at Blenheim and Ramillies, the peninsular campaign, the battles of Inkerman and Alma River) The British army of 1707 to 1885 (and even before that with the NMA) went through so many reforms to deal with its officers and generals incompetence (which is why initially they were seen as meme soldiers with little experience on the continent having missed the 30 years war for their civil war in which they used outdated tactics their officers had learned from the 80 years war) and by the time they phased out their redcoats they were one of the best standing armies in the world. The BFE was top tier at the outbreak of world war one but fucking tiny as it was for dealing with small colonial wars where they could recruit from indigenous populations. If you get a chance you should definatly look at the transformation of the NMA into the modern British army because it is fascinating and full of victory's, defeats, great generals and fucking shit ones.
>>
>>1726796
TL;DR British red coats were very good soldiers, British officers couldn't tell their dick from their fingers
>>
>>1726568
That was pretty interesting thanks m8. Any idea what then made a more WW1 style of warfare viable in the Eritrea-Ethiopia wars? Or is it a meme in itself that they were fought mainly with trenches, tank battles etc.? Recent history of the horn of Africa region fascinates me but I've not got round to reading much about it yet.
>>
>>1726462
>>1726464

I knew that, my point was more on the line of being amazed by someone in an history board assuming indian always means someone from India.
>>
>>1726316
Never knew the winged hussars could do amphibious landings though the air power makes sense (the wings).
>>
>>1726819
>Any idea what then made a more WW1 style of warfare viable in the Eritrea-Ethiopia wars?
Remember the maxim that amateurs think of strategy and professionals think of logistics. WWI style trench warfare is what you get when your government can't afford to invest in things like tanks, armored personnel carriers, and helicopters, and is forced to make do with foot infantry and maybe light close artillery support.

Alternatively even these poorer militaries still make use of cargo planes, which are ubiquitous and insanely useful from a logistics standpoint, and as it happens you can re-purpose them to drop infantry behind enemy lines. Of course it is far more tactically flexible to use a Chinook or a Blackhawk, but those are hugely expensive pieces of military hardware which require sophisticated military-industrial complexes to maintain.
>>
>>1726061
Underrated post
>>
>>1726796
>(which is why initially they were seen as meme soldiers with little experience on the continent having missed the 30 years war for their civil war in which they used outdated tactics their officers had learned from the 80 years war)
Que? The 2nd half of the 80 years war and the 30 years war occurred at the same time, and Englishmen fought in both.
>>
>>1726862
>WWI style trench warfare is what you get when your government can't afford to invest in things like tanks, armored personnel carriers, and helicopters, and is forced to make do with foot infantry and maybe light close artillery support.

Probably why the iraq-iran war is also often compared to WW1 style of warfare, I guess.
>>
>>1726294
What everybody forgets to mention is that the English archers outnumbered the crossbowmen at Crecy.
>>
>>1726900
Aye But England didn't fight in Germany and central Europe during the 30 years war which was where all the most brutal fighting took place. The generals of the Civil war such as Cromwell and Fairfax were in the Netherlands with Maurice of Orange and learned how to fight from him in the 80 years war. By the time they were actual generals tactics had shifted so if you look at Edgehill the battle was a fucking joke as neither side knew what to do now that pikes and Muskets had become the spine of European armies.
>>
>>1726796
>British redcoats actually performed well for what they had. The Continental Europeans could field way more men than the English/British because Britain's priority was a big navy
Point is that when pitched against other european armies, they were mostly garbage even with number advantage

>When the British army did deploy on the continent they performed exceptionally well against their counterparts.
On the contrary, see above anf below

>See Marlborough's battles at Blenheim and Ramillies
Malborought was a great commander but 80% of his troops were Germans
>the peninsular campaign
Really nothing to be proud of.
The British army got stalled for 6 years by a secondary French army without Napoleon.
Most of the British victories were due to numerical advantage, and they even managed to receive humiliating defeats while severely outnumbering the enemies

Same if you look at the French and Indian War, the British army got shamefully stalled for a decade by a French army they outnumbered 4 to 1 and managed to receive very humiliating defeats while holding crucial numerical advantage.
Add to that the multiples humiliations the British army received in the Low Countries from 1792 to 1814.

The British army in the 18th century and early 19th century was pure garbage
The only time they were of superior quality than the enemy was against American militia and even then they still lost
>>
Modern USA marines.
>>
>>1726862
That makes sense, thanks. Any books you can recommend for African wars/post-cold war history and politics in general? I have dancing in the glory of monsters about the Congo wars and a couple of Howard French's books, but beyond that all I've got is pre-1900s and general overviews.

>>1726901
Now this I do know a bit about, certainly on the Iranian side they couldn't fix or get ammunition for their expensive American gear inherited from the Shah, on the Iraqi side it's more a lack of good leadership than a lack of money - something common to the Arab military dictatorships where any officer who shows promise is retired, imprisoned, exiled, or killed off to avoid them gaining a popular following and/or doing a coup.
>>
File: cute-baby-elephant-9.jpg (136KB, 640x460px) Image search: [Google]
cute-baby-elephant-9.jpg
136KB, 640x460px
>>1725215
The downside is that elephants are super docile and skittish. They often ended up panicking from battle and stampeding into the ranks of the armies they're supposed to be fighting for.
It's quite sad; elephants weren't meant to fight.
>>
>>1726316
WTF?
>>
File: 1367701028717.jpg (53KB, 295x450px) Image search: [Google]
1367701028717.jpg
53KB, 295x450px
>>1726987
>you will never see polish winged hussars on planes and winged battleships dropping nukes and making amphibious landings
>>
>>1726329
This.
>>
>>1726296
>what is the Sacred Band of Thebes
>>
>>1726973
>Elephants weren't meant to fight

Then what are their tusks for?
>>
File: WhenYourAssIsGettingThatClub.jpg (17KB, 236x164px) Image search: [Google]
WhenYourAssIsGettingThatClub.jpg
17KB, 236x164px
>>1727068
BIG THEBAN CLUBS
>>
>>1726973
The problem is that they're extremely intelligent so when you corral them into the killing fields they completely lose their shit and panic because they know damn fucking well that they're in a position of extreme danger.

Imagine standing in the middle of a bunch of dogs viciously fighting with one another, and you'd be fucking terrified too.
>>
>>1727068
Guys who still were expected to marry and have children. There were no gays in fucking Greece you imbecile Tumblrina men simply fucked whatever they could but no one fucked exclusively males.
>>
>>1727495
>Guys who still were expected to marry and have children.
And guys who were also expected to take it in the bunghole from their bros because it was thought that that would foster more powerful bonds of camaraderie.

So it's like they could have stopped sucking dicks if they wanted to, they just chose not too
>>
>>1726401
And don't forget the people who literally think 50% of vikings where women because they found some scandinavian women buried with swords in Britain
>>
>>1727506
Sex between them was discouraged. Where did you learn history? LGBT meeting?
>>
the Mongol army under Temujin
>>
>>1725385
>>1725380
Gettysburg was a supreme case of Lee going retarded.
>>
>>1727495
There were no gays in Ancient Greece for the same reason there were no straights, it was a completely different conception of sexuality to that of the current hegemonic culture that it's pointless to try and box into modern ideologies, whether LGBT-liberal or Christian-conservative
>>
>>1726336
they are though, with their media domination
>>
>>1725293
>the few
yeah right, every dumbass high school jock joins them

>the proud
more like annoying, marines are the most arrogant cunts I've ever met.

>the marines
I know one who can't swim
>>
>>1726853
sry responded to the wrong post cause I was on mobile and my screen is fucked.
>>
File: Bombs away LeMay.jpg (193KB, 600x739px)
Bombs away LeMay.jpg
193KB, 600x739px
>>1725293
Air power you say?
>>
Who were the soldiers that took pieces of clothing of their fallen enemies and added them to their own clothing, coming out looking like an army of Sixth Doctors?
>>
>>1722160
only spies. they Are called shniboi and Are actually part of The samurai class You fag

they never fought samurai in a Battle and rekd them
>>
File: Longbowman.jpg (109KB, 719x372px) Image search: [Google]
Longbowman.jpg
109KB, 719x372px
>>1723139
wew
>>
>>1722086
The fact that you use the term ninja shows us how little you know.

Shnobis never fought in battles they were fucking spies and alnost never assassinated anyone they wore regular clothing gathered information and brought them to their lord.

they were literally samurais without armor

no special weapons
no special fighting techniques

black wearing sword on back carrying wall climbing assassin shinobis aka "ninjas" are a modern myth invented in the 50s-60s

stop making a fool out of yourself by using this term
>>
Romanian army in WW1
>>
>>1726508
>tfw athenians went full retard invading Sicily
>>
>>1721913
Only took two posts
>>
>>1726430
>"saved by the allied landings"

They were in support of the landings, not an independant operation. Paratroopers don't conduct operations independantly. The idea is they cause havoc and confusion within enemy lines to draw disproportionate attention from the front line and prevent static trench warfare.
>>
>>1726389
Saracens were Arab
>>
>>1729852
What are the memes about it?
>>
>>1727615
As I recall, Lee was pressured into going on the offensive because the rest of the Confederacy was tired of his cautious approach to the war. He had been digging in and preparing for a long defensive fight, but the South wouldn't have it and wanted him to sally forth.
>>
>>1726515
TBF it was more the officers who were incompetent, the soldiers were just fine. And in the end, they won, which is all that matters.
>>
File: 1473825013138.gif (2MB, 400x316px) Image search: [Google]
1473825013138.gif
2MB, 400x316px
>>1729897
>went in WW1 late and got btfo'd by almost everyone
>goes back to fight a day before the war ends
>still lost
>>
>>1729735
Source?
>>
>>1721909
Why does the 17th and 16th century look so fairy tailish?
>>
>>1726380
Take over for Middle East while being outnumbering like one knight for one hundred saracens

Retake the spain, sicily, and the byzantine.

Also sarecens weren't arabs but turks, berbers, and persians, arabs are shitty warriors.
>>
>>1726457
>>1726422

In his defence, nobody outside of the states refers to that as the French and Indian wars.
>>
>>1729877
>feeling sympathy for greek nazis
>ever

You can't expect to get away with oppressing half the Greek world for 80 years. The Athenians got exactly what was coming to them.
>>
>>1729958
Jesus Christ man what the fuck are you talking about?
>>
>>1729958
You're retarded.
>>
File: The_Puffy_Shirt.png (728KB, 862x647px) Image search: [Google]
The_Puffy_Shirt.png
728KB, 862x647px
>>1729943
puffy shirts
>>
>>1726329
> man in the past were like 80% of 4chan's userbase

What a place to live.
>>
>>1729985
Everyone should
French and Indian War = the irrelevant North American theater, the only one where Britain mattered
It sickens me when I hear someone claim that Britain "won the Seven Years War"
The Seven Years War = the European theater where Prussia shined while Britain cowered
>>
>>1729917
>And in the end, they won, which is all that matters.

20 years later...
It's like claiming that in the end Germany won WW1 because they conquered France in 1940...
>>
>>1730935
>The Seven Years War
>French and Indian War
the correct name is La guerre de la Conquête
>>
Knights were dog shit
>le deus vult whole ONE out of SEVEN crusades wasn't a disaster xD
>got mongol'd too

let's not forget samurai who were mostly fighting other japanese and got bitchslapped by Yi Sun Shin when they tried to invade Korea and how they could barely deal with fucking Portuguese guards despite having huge numbers advantage

vikings are self explanatory and the only reason why they are dickrided is because they were Scandinavians if any other group did the same shit and had similarly pathetic battle record everyone would call them savages and failures

also american military
>>
>>1730944
They didn't stop fighting for 20 years. They kept on going. If they truely were as shitty as you claim, it'd be even more impressive.
>>
File: BASED WOODS.png (540KB, 590x830px)
BASED WOODS.png
540KB, 590x830px
>>1721909
the Wehrmacht.
>>
>>1721941
>got literally sodomized by sodomites in a war several times
>not a meme
>>
>>1721913
t. Athenian
>>
>>1723458
>Depressed Pun
>>
>>1731180
t. Underage fgt who watched 300
>>
>>1726941
>Point is that when pitched against other european armies, they were mostly garbage even with number advantage

this is simply untrue, a prime example of why would be Minden, where due to misinterpreted orders the english infantry in the center made a unsupported attack against the enemy center, and rolled right over the 3 lines of enemy troops facing them breaking the enemy center, a feat nobody on either side of the battle could believe even as it was happening.

you also have performances like the battle of fortenoy, where the british were universally acknowledged to be the best troops on the field despite pretty bad generalship by Cumberland.

as for the penisula war, the british operated with a small army at the end of a long supply line and proved themselves better than the french in just about every fight (again even when the general fucked up as beresford did at albeura) the british army by the end of the 18th century was known for its disicpline, its superior quality of drill its relatively small size, and its wildly inconsistent generalship. but nobody who fought british line infantry thought they were anything but tough, dependable, well trained troops
>>
>>1726515
>British troops were deployed in large numbers on the continent and proved so incompetent they had to be evacuated soon after

the allied contingent they were meant to be deployed with surrendered before they arrived, and the losses were to disease, incidently the american civil war was the first war in history in which disease didnt kill more troops than battle
>>
>>1729897
they were so bad that at one point several battalions of their troops tried surrendering to the russians, the russians their allies at the time were so exasperated by this that they simply pointed the romanian battalions at the austrians and left them to it.
>>
File: europelargesm.jpg (110KB, 521x452px) Image search: [Google]
europelargesm.jpg
110KB, 521x452px
>>1731939
>as for the penisula war, the british operated with a small army at the end of a long supply line and proved themselves better than the french in just about every fight

The British army was fucking large (outnumbered the French in most battles) and performed terribly
There's a reason why it took 6 years to take back small ass Spain from a 2nd-rate French army not lead by Napoleon
As a comparison, it took the Russians 2 years to take the territory between Minsk and Paris from the main French army lead by Napoleon
Here, maped it for you
>>
>>1732001
you repeat the same shit but dont back it up.

find a french account saying the british infantry were bad soldiers.

in fact I will find you one
>There is no beating these troops, in spite of their generals. I always thought they were bad soldiers, now I am sure of it. I had turned their right, pierced their centre and everywhere victory was mine – but they did not know how to run!" Soult after the Battle of Albuera
>>
>>1732001

Oh, is this post, AGAIN.
>>
>>1732030
>find a french account saying the british infantry were bad soldiers.

Well here's something

>The French forces were commanded by Jean-Baptiste Bernadotte, who had just been stripped of his command after disobeying orders at Wagram. Dismissed from Napoleon's Grande Armée, Bernadotte returned to Paris and was sent to defend the Netherlands by the council of ministers.
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Walcheren_Campaign

The British army was seen as so pathetic that disgraced generals were sent to fight them as a punishment (because they were so bad that even defeating them brought no glory)
>>
>>1726815
I've not really studied history too much but that seems to be a bit of a running theme.
>>
>>1732079
>that seems to be a bit of a running meme

Fixed that for you
And Americans are behind that meme
They're also behind the meme that Britain was a global superpower in 1776 (it sounds better to have defeated an elite army from a global empire than the shittiest european army that barely had an empire yet).
>>
>>1726409
>>1726391
fallschirmjager were feared and considered elite by the allies. American and British paratroopers represented the best trained units the allies had in mass.
>>
>>1732109
seriously you keep saying shittiest, but so far your case isnt nearly strong enough.

you have a couple of cases of british contingents being left high and dry by allied failures and suffering as a result, and a couple of long campaigns that britain won, with the length mostly being attributable to distance and the need to cover a lot of territory.

find a example where british troops performed badly on a battlefield, not died of disease, or lost because the general did something stupid, but battles where a british division met a equal sized enemy division and got BTFO, you keep citing campaigns that failed for reasons other than defeat in battle
>>
>>1732177
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Battle_for_the_R%C3%ADo_San_Juan_de_Nicaragua
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Battle_of_Carillon
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Battle_of_Cartagena_de_Indias
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Battle_of_La_Guaira
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Battle_of_Bloody_Creek_(1757) (that one is pure soldier vs soldier skill)
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Braddock_Expedition
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Battle_of_Santa_Cruz_de_Tenerife_(1797)
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Battle_of_Castlebar
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Battle_of_Fuengirola
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Battle_of_Redinha
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Battle_of_Maguilla

A few among many others
>>
>>1729996
Athenians were products of their environment and they were doing what every other culture at the time was doing: oppressing their own population and the populations around them.

The thing is, even the very slight egalitarianism shared between Athenian aristocrats was a stark contrast to the total lack of egalitarianism shared by places like Sparta.
>>
>>1729930
I don't think you get it. A meme army isn't an army that was shit, it's an army that is said to be good but is actually overrated. Nobody thinks the Romanian Army in WWI was good, so it's not a meme army
>>
>>1732257
Top kek, some of these are humiliating as fuck. Thanks for the laugh anon
>>
>>1727595
Athenians regularly practiced bisexuality
>>
>>1728925
>I know one who can't swim
No, you don't.
>>
>>1732257
>https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Battle_for_the_R%C3%ADo_San_Juan_de_Nicaragua
short siege against a well dug in position, no actual mention of casualties, a small force withdrawn for more important duties

>https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Battle_of_Carillon
idiot general launches a frontal assault without artillery support against a entrenched position well supplied with artillery

>https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Battle_of_Cartagena_de_Indias
diesease and frontal attacks on fortified positions, again with only limited artillery.

>https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Battle_of_La_Guaira
hardly relevant to a discussion of the military qualities of redcoats as it was a naval action, but forts generally beat ships in the age of sail, heavier guns better shelter and a more stable firing platform

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Battle_of_Bloody_Creek_(1757)
a small patrol is ambushed, the redcoats make poor guerrillas and guerillas are crap line infantry what of it?

>https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Braddock_Expedition
bad generalship, insisted on using line tactics in a a forest and got his troops sniped.

>https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Battle_of_Santa_Cruz_de_Tenerife_(1797)
again a naval action primarily, the force being too small and the conditions poor it failed to take its objective but the fault didnt lay with the troops.

>https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Battle_of_Castlebar
local irish militia turn out not to stand a bayonet charge from french regulars, you honestly equating 3rd tier local militia with line infantry

>https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Battle_of_Fuengirola
frontal assault against a fortification, followed by spanish regiment abandoning the guns wich were then turned on the british

>https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Battle_of_Redinha
rearguard action, notably the wiki page lists two differing figures for the british casualties the lower one being 205, it wasnt the best display but again it was a failure in generalship more than the troops.
>>
>>1732257
>>1732687
>https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Battle_of_Maguilla
aside from the question of what does a cavalry action have to do with a argument about the abilities of british line infantry this encounter is hardly a stunning defeat, a british cavalry force encounters and initially routs its french opponent, then gets hit in the flanks and rear by another smaller french cavalry group and the initial french group turns and attacks in the confusion, a failure of the commander more than anything else
>>
>>1725227
Saying nothing about American blacks because I do not live there. Remember yourself at 15? Look at a picture of yourself and think about how stupid you were then. 15 is very young still and traumatic. My uncle went to war at this age about with my father and his friend. My dad is alright but my uncle and his friend are messed up
>>
Spartans and Vikings have completly undeserved reputation based on exaggeration, rumors and downright lies. Normans now those were the proper motherfuckers.
>>
>>1732700
Shitty British cavalry got their ass ravaged by an enemy cavalry patrol of equal size
We're discussing the shittiness of British army, and cavalry is part of the army
>>
>>1726295
That has nothing to do with my post.

Have you considered suicide?
>>
>>1732838
except if you read the wiki thats not entirely how it happened, 6 british squadrons charged and routed 5 french squadrons, and gave chase, and were hit in the flank and rear by the 6th french squadron and then by the french they had been chasing turning to attack them freeing most of the prisoners they had caught.

the commander failed to control his troops and failed to anticipate a flank attack on his troops, but the initial encounter clearly favoured the british beyond mere weight of numbers
>>
>>1732933
700 French horses defeated 700 British horses because British cavalrymen were retards

The fact 300 of the French horses initially baited the British ones who chased them with full force like retards before being flanked by the 400 remaining French ones is part of why French cavalrymen were of superior quality than British ones
Tactics if part of training
>>
>>1732963
failure of commanders is not the same as failure of troops, and its not like french cavalry never got BTFO by british cavalry
>>
>>1732980
>and its not like french cavalry never got BTFO by british cavalry

Never when they were in superior or equal numbers
>>
>>1732992
yes to both,
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Battle_of_Sahag%C3%BAn

800 french cavalry versus 400 british, a crushing victory for the british

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Battle_of_Benavente
slight numerical adavantage to the british 600 vs 550 but the french were the considered a elite unit by the french
>>
File: 0ftbz.jpg (35KB, 392x385px) Image search: [Google]
0ftbz.jpg
35KB, 392x385px
>>1733019
Paget fucking traitor to his French blood and name
>>
>>1733028
but the victor none the less
>>
>>1733019
>but the french were the considered a elite unit by the french
The French cavalry was always second rate compared to their infantry, and the quality had dropped significantly since the aristocracy had left France, not to mention all French troops in the Peninsular War were inferior to French soldiers fighting elsewhere, The Germans and Poles were generally also better cavalrymen than the French, but then again nobody was quite as bad as the British.
>>
>>1733059
>>1733059
all this moving of goal posts.

firstly the french cavalry at the second encounter were guard cavalry

>not to mention all French troops in the Peninsular War were inferior to French soldiers fighting elsewhere,
is pretty much just you refusing to concede, 'british troops were worse than french troops and only beat them because they only faced shitty french troops'

there is no level upon which that argument makes sense, strategically if the quality of the other french troops was that much superior it would have made more sense to deploy them against wellington and crush him quickly as that would then massively reduce the logistics burden of trying to campaign in spain and on the other fronts, it also makes no sense in that deploying shitty troops in field armies is a bad move, shitty troops are for garrisons in rear areas armies in the field cost more to maintain and run and subsequently for efficiencies sake should be made of the better troops.

>and the quality had dropped significantly since the aristocracy had left France
more than 10 years since, by this point it would be reasonable to assume the cavalry had been rebuilt to some degree, also its not like the old days of knights, the vast majority of cavalry troopers in most armies since standing armies were a thing were commoners, middle class at most, officers might be aristocrats or at least upper class

>The Germans and Poles were generally also better cavalrymen than the French, but then again nobody was quite as bad as the British
and the germans and poles have what to do with a comparison of french and british cavalry? and if no one was quite as bad as the british how come you are having to try and defend 800 frenchmen getting destroyed by 400 british cavalry?
>>
>>1733146
He's exaggerating when he say all French soldiers on the Peninsular front were inferior, but it's true that it was a secondary army with shitty supply and equipement and a very large percentage of inexperienced conscripts
The fact the Brits managed to get stalled for 6 years by it while focusing all their strength on that theater tells a lot about the British military might in that era
>>
>>1733146
>there is no level upon which that argument makes sense
The reason Napoleon sent the worst soldiers to Spain was because he didn't care about the Peninsular war at all really, it was only a minor action while all of the real wars with the most elite and experienced solders were happening in the rest of the continent.

>more than 10 years since, by this point it would be reasonable to assume the cavalry had been rebuilt to some degree
The whole design of French cavalry had been built upon a strong class system that the nobility possessed, the infantry however was different to this for some degree and Napoleon focused most of his attention on this and artillery in rebuilding them, he did not put as much emphasis on the rebuilding of the cavalry because he did not see them as useful as the rest of the Grande Armee.

>and the germans and poles have what to do with a comparison of french and british cavalry?
I was stating the general order of the most successful cavalry in the Napoleonic wars by nations and as of how the British cavalry was the worst, but how the French weren't particularly good also, so it was not much of an achievement of the British to beat them, as you try to say otherwise.

>and if no one was quite as bad as the british how come you are having to try and defend 800 frenchmen getting destroyed by 400 british cavalry?
I wasn't at all, I was saying that the British cavalry, (and their infantry also) were generally terrible in almost every engagement, also you provided only 2 examples, one was a bunch of French dragoons getting beaten by some British hussars, keep in mind that there is no definite number regarding troop numbers, and is conflicting, because some even say that the French were outnumbered. And the other example was where the outnumbered French cavalrymen got beaten by the British.

Two examples aren't good enough to prove anything like this
>>
Mongols
>>
>>1722034
They seriously look like elite henchmen in a MGS game.
>>
File: hqdefault.jpg (39KB, 480x360px) Image search: [Google]
hqdefault.jpg
39KB, 480x360px
>>1721909
not even a contest

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Lv2btm4EQws

>THE ROMAN LEGION: WORLD'S GREATEST KILLING MACHINE

>It was the most impressive fighting machine ever assembled. Its prowess on the battlefields of the ancient world was unmatched, and its power could challenge even that of the emperor. From its humble beginnings as a band of part-time soldiers to its ultimate evolution as the most feared, disciplined and accomplished fighting force the world had ever seen, this is the definitive story of the Roman Legion.
>>
File: image.jpg (292KB, 919x650px) Image search: [Google]
image.jpg
292KB, 919x650px
The Zombiesseries
>>
File: image.jpg (258KB, 919x650px) Image search: [Google]
image.jpg
258KB, 919x650px
>>1733341
>>
>>1722164
And the utterly corrupted regiments
>>
>>1733342
got anymore of this stuff?
>>
none

If a warrior survives history long enough to be remembered then it means they did something right.

Even Samurai were pretty decent warrior (it's just instead of Katana folded 1000 times they just used rifles).
>>
>>1732687
>diesease and frontal attacks on fortified positions, again with only limited artillery
SECOND BIGGEST AMPHIBIOUS FORCE IN HISTORY AFTER THE D-DAY ONE LOST AGAINST 3000 SOLDIERS

I'm not even going to comment on the rest of your post, biased as fuck.
>>
>>1722034
Thats fromænd, right? Danish SEALs
>>
File: salty southerner.jpg (258KB, 678x674px) Image search: [Google]
salty southerner.jpg
258KB, 678x674px
>>1723406
>>
>>1726316
>>1726853
>>1727006
My fucking sides, God have mercy.
>>
>>1726332

France never want to war for Poland, it only goaded Poland into respecting it's commitment, while vehemently refusing to do the same.

>>1726333
It's called reciprocity.You country has a tendentious and in most cases, factually false point of view of East European history.

>>1726313
Being one of the powerful countries in the known world for nearly a century and a half is an actual achievement, while your Prussia was vassal of their during most of her history.
>>
>>1721913
Isn't saying that spartans are a meme a meme tho?
>>
>>1726389
>and they were hardly shitty
This
>>
>>1722895
Cheap bait
>>
US Army

>9/11
>Bush: Iraq has boom boom
>Texas boys: oh boy, we better get down there
>cause mass destruction and chaos
>cause population to hate you
>create the conditions for ISIS to form
>literally only state that might be involved is Saudi
>get confused when country gets terrorist attacks
>>
>>1721938
20th century Italians
>>
File: did you even reead.png (5KB, 947x41px) Image search: [Google]
did you even reead.png
5KB, 947x41px
>>1733861
Not him, but did you even read it?
>>
>>1723458
>5'7"
>>
>>1726295

t. Asshurt Slavaboo still angry at the fact that greasy nonwhites cannot fight
>>
>>1735264
Moors rekt vikings and so did Irish so apparently non whites are better if anything.
>>
>>1721909
Conquistadors.

>>1726314
Redcoats are even more meme than that. They wore those silly woolen coats in the tropics.
>>
>>1735858
Conquistadors were pretty successful at what they set out to do though. They were so good at extracting gold they fucked up their whole economy.
>>
>>1735264
If you knew anything about them, then you'd know they can't stand Varangians because their role in the creation of the first East Slavic state was grossly overplayed by Western historians.
>>
File: Indiatrainrobbery.jpg (95KB, 616x582px) Image search: [Google]
Indiatrainrobbery.jpg
95KB, 616x582px
>>1723643
>this
Gurkhas are actually pretty cool
>>
File: Clibanarii.jpg (461KB, 1078x900px) Image search: [Google]
Clibanarii.jpg
461KB, 1078x900px
>>1721929
Franks and moslems both feared the Oven Man.
>>
>>1726294
Agincourt was literally the optimum condition for longbow-massacre, which doesn't make it as impressive
>>
File: 8-hitt10.jpg (244KB, 1410x1000px) Image search: [Google]
8-hitt10.jpg
244KB, 1410x1000px
Gypos
>>
>>1721909
The ones inside the Trojan horse, obviously.
>>
>>1722050
this
>>
>>1734970
>politics
>army
why didnt you cite the second rate US soldier of WW2 (Lesser than the Germans, and even the British, Canadians, and French)
Americas humiliation early in the Korean War
Americas mediocre showing in Vietnam
US soldiers ineffectiveness in limiting geurilla warfare
Just general lack of evidence of a quality product in the US army
>>
Surprised this wasn't mentioned.

Literally like 20 different memes compacted into one.

>superior equipment
complete opposite, W-SS were receiving lots more things like tank destroyer conversions while the wehrmacht got actual tanks.
>superior training
opposite again, W-SS recruits spent more time in the classroom learning ideology and less on the field (esp for the beginning)
>united european army
there weren't enough people to fully staff any of the foreign divisions with all foreigners. Nordland ended up being like 75% german after months.
>b-bbbut the w-ss was clean!
rotated personal between the a-ss and t-ss. functionally no different.

the only thing that they have going for them is badass camo
>>
File: Rashidun.png (37KB, 1196x580px) Image search: [Google]
Rashidun.png
37KB, 1196x580px
>>1729958
>arabs are shitty warriors
>going from a single city in the desert to this in 40 years
>>
>>1738612
It's easy to expand in a power vacuum
>>
>>1738578

No one wants to turn this thread into THAT sort of thread. The Waffen-SS meme has been explored to death including me, a self-professed Wehraboo. Don't awaken the beast
>>
>>1723388
underrated
>>
>>1738244
>why didnt you cite the second rate US soldier of WW2
>beat the ever living shit out of SS panzer divisions and only really stalled against heavily fortified areas like Metz
>second rate to armies that were regularly BTFO by the Germans

>Americas humiliation early in the Korean War
>a few thousand US troops against millions of communist troops
>humiliation

>Americas mediocre showing in Vietnam
>won every pitched battle on the ground, ensuring the war was not lost militarily but politically

You'd have a point if anything you said was even true.
>>
>>1740636
>It's easy
"No"
>>
File: Umayyad_Bro.png (30KB, 1481x902px)
Umayyad_Bro.png
30KB, 1481x902px
>>1740636
>Spend the next 60 years expanding out to pic related
>Retain the majority of it and stay strong for another 140
>m-muh power vacuum
Thread posts: 292
Thread images: 43

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.