[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

What is Neoplatonism?

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 11
Thread images: 3

I'm having trouble understanding what the core of Neoplatonic thought is all about. I've seen it referred to as a religious doctrine, a system of philosophical thought, political theory, and more.

I ran across the term when I discovered the medieval Greek Gemistus Pletho. In the early 15th century he proposed reforming the Byzantine Empire's government into a model based on Plato's Republic. He's strongly associated with Neoplatonic thought and bringing its influence to the Renaissance.

To someone still new to philosophy, can someone help to explain what Neoplatonism really is? Faith, philosophy, or both? What historical figures are notable for this belief?
>>
A school of Platonism mostly focused on the metaphysical aspects of Plato's philosophy

http://plato.stanford.edu/entries/neoplatonism
>>
>>1721426
>It is an undeniable fact, although nowadays rarely acknowledged, that the general outlook and the principal doctrines of the Neoplatonists proved exceedingly influential throughout the entire history of western philosophy. Through Augustine (354–430) in the West and the 4th-century Cappadocian Fathers (Basil, Gregory of Nyssa, Gregory of Nazianzus) in the East as well as the pseudo-epigraphic writings of Dionysius the Areopagite (early 6th century), Neoplatonism profoundly influenced the emergence of mainstream and not so mainstream Christian theology (John Scotus Eriugena, Thomas Aquinas, Duns Scotus, Meister Eckhart). In addition, by way of a pseudo-epigraphical treatise entitled Theology of Aristotle, Neoplatonic thought facilitated the integration of ancient philosophy and science into both Islam (especially through Al-Kindi, Al-Farabi and Avicenna [Ibn Sina]) and Judaism (Maimonides).

I hadn't heard of this before. Greatly appreciate the good read.
>>
>>1721467
you should read the enneads of plotinus

also the philosophy of plotinus by rw inge
>>
>>1721421
Christianized platonism(Huge emphasis on the One) it was merely a rip off of christian theology made by butthurt pagans.
>>
File: 1473735147616.jpg (175KB, 1021x1300px) Image search: [Google]
1473735147616.jpg
175KB, 1021x1300px
>>1721421
Ice creme
>>
>>1721467
Christianity (at its best; that is excluding modern evangelicalism) is basically watered down Neoplatonism mixed with Jewish and mythology (the Jesus myth also containing elements of Greek and other pagan mythologies). In Plotinus there was even a concept of the trinity with the nicean formula of one substance and three hypostasis explicitly stated. Some of the early church fathers were Neoplatonists to a large extent, but with important differences, the most important of which are the status of matter and the world. From Neoplatonism Christianity took the method of interpreting myths as metaphysical allegories (muh symbolism).
>>
Pletho tried to refund Constantinople on the principles of Plato's republic and restore the old pagan religion, but he didn't have enough influence and Christianity was too embedded in the population. He did influence the Medicis and the Italian Renaissance though. Upon deeper analysis his polytheistic system proved forced and artificial. In his system Zeus became the transcendent God (identified with the Plotinian One) and Poseidon became the "God of this world" (identified with the platonic demiurge). It was thus a philosophic construct and not a restoration of the Ancient Greek religion.
>>
>>1722465
Interesting to think that Neoplatonic thought had so much influence on early Christianity and this is the first time I've heard someone give an explanation of it. I've worked with who I believed were well-versed Christians who were not afraid to answer more challenging questions about the faith, but early influences like this never came up. A shame, because it's incredibly interesting and helps to give context to modern day Christianity.

We openly celebrate and acknowledge Greek influences in our modern world, but I see how much of a hot button topic pagan influence on Christianity still is even today.

>>1722480
>It was thus a philosophic construct and not a restoration of the Ancient Greek religion.

I've been reading that a true revival of the Ancient Greek religion had no foundation to even set itself upon, that with no codified scripture Christianity was able to take advantage. In a world being swept up by the collapse of the Roman Empire, people were searching for the promise of something better and Christianity was able to deliver on that.

>Pletho tried to refund Constantinople on the principles of Plato's republic and restore the old pagan religion, but he didn't have enough influence and Christianity was too embedded in the population.

I have to wonder how many pockets of Hellenic faith or other pagan circles still existed in the 15th century. Compare that to someone like Julian the Apostate's short reign in the 4th century where Christianity had spread with incredible speed and he faced similar problems.

It might be asking wrong question, but how would Julian and Pletho compare in their vision of an organized Neoplatonic society? Would Julian even be considered Neoplatonist?
>>
It was essentially an attempt to Christianise Plato.
>>
>>1721421
Found a lecture by Manly P. Hall that talks about Neoplatonism -

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=M9mEck2m7Tg&list=PLOAHEE5Zs-1QrFirFmFQF0fdvKBOJk4Zj
Thread posts: 11
Thread images: 3

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.