[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

History Books

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 11
Thread images: 2

File: 1474054687344.jpg (54KB, 437x437px) Image search: [Google]
1474054687344.jpg
54KB, 437x437px
Hi, /his/

Can you guys recommend some good history books?

Roman/Mediterranean/Medieval is preferred, but please recommend anything you like
>>
>>1712357

Records of the Peloponessian War

The Republic

Decline and Fall of the Roman Empire

Meditations by Marcus Aurelius

Candide by Voltaire
>>
File: 1473807440882.jpg (2MB, 2472x3296px) Image search: [Google]
1473807440882.jpg
2MB, 2472x3296px
>>1712395
thanks senpai
>>
>>1712395
>Decline and Fall of the Roman Empire
>in 2016
the fuck are you doing anon, the book is centuries out of date.
>>
>>1712457
gib book pls
>>
Polybius, for the Punic Wars

Josephus, for the Jewish War

Caesar, for the Gallic War

Tacitus' Annals for general Roman fuckery I guess

Anything Plutarch, most things Livy

>medieval

Anything by Frances and Joseph Gies

George Duby

If you speak French, George Minois

>>1712395
>Candide
Why though
>>
>>1712357
Everett's bio of Cicero.

Goldsworthy's bio of Augustus. Oranything by Goldwortthy.

Romm's "Dying Every Day," bio of Senaca and history of the late Julio-Claudian dynasty.

ABSOLUTE CRAP BOOK TO AVOID ASTING MONEY ON:"Cataline" by Galassi -- he constantly confuses Patricians with Optimates and Popularis with Plebeians,among other irritating errors, and tries to force modern political forms and ideologies onto late-Republic history. Only book that has ever made me set it aside unfinished.
>>
Currently enjoying SPQR by Mary Beard. Id recommend it.
>>
>>1712605
Oh, and for fun, "I, Claudius" and "Claudius the God," for fun. You can go back later and find out which bits were pretty accurate, and which pure fiction.
>>
>>1712606
I just bought that, along with a book about Constantine which I am reading first. Glad to hear it's going to be good.
>>
>>1712622

She pinpoints really important moments in the downfall of both the Republic and the Empire that are often overlooked in more grander recounta of the Roman story. So for that I really appreciate it.
Thread posts: 11
Thread images: 2

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.