[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

Cities that were at one point the largest in the world

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 126
Thread images: 9

File: R8r0MhC.jpg (432KB, 1442x617px) Image search: [Google]
R8r0MhC.jpg
432KB, 1442x617px
Thoughts?
>>
pretty accurate but I'm sure some autist will rage over 1 or 2 of them
>>
>>1712089
>carthage

Gotta love this meme well maybe Roman carthage was
>>
>>1712123
Carthage was always larger than Rome until it's destruction
>>
>>1712089
>Merv
Somehow I doubt it.
>>
when the fuck was NY the largest?
>>
It's fucking me up that there's a 2nd Thebes in Egypt that was at a point the biggest city.
>>
>>1712089
How did Iraq go from that to....
>>
>>1712169
On top of this, is OP talking about Manhattan or the Five Boroughs?
>>
tenochtitlan, noobs
>>
What's the point of making this map without writing down the time periods ?
>>
>>1712169
in 1950 it was almost 13 million
>>
>>1712089
>Cordova
no
>Fez
no
>Catahoyuk
>Talianki, Drobrovody, Maydanets
????????
>Polonnaruwa
when?
>>
As far as I can tell it's based on Chandler's list here:

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_largest_cities_throughout_history
>>
>>1712293
this

Would also clarify a lot
>>
>>1712181
The Thebes in Egypt should be the FIRST Thebes you think of. Its certainly more famous than the Greek one, or whatever one you're thinking of.
>>
>>1712181
What? There's only one Thebes in Egypt.
>>
>>1712089
Didn't realize Tokyo was the largest. Thought it must be somewhere in China. Weird
>>
>>1712089
man i wish it had the year next to each city.
>>
It's amazing how important Paris has been historically while always being relatively small.
>>
File: relevant region.png (41KB, 1357x628px) Image search: [Google]
relevant region.png
41KB, 1357x628px
>>1712397
Also Athens.
>>
>>1712397
>>1712406
The thing is Paris and Athens were the most important in what Spengler calls the "culture" stage of their respective civilisations. That's the time when the civilisation is still growing and developing, before it hardens into a permanent shape, and the time of universal empires and gigantic world cities comes.
>>
>>1712379
>>Talianki, Drobrovody, Maydanets
>????????
looked it up, apparently it's prehistoric from 6000 to 3500 BC
have a hard time believing any cities there were larger than those in Egypt and Mesopotamia though
>>
>>1712421
Sounds like one of those Slav memes, like Bosnian pyramids.
>>
>>1712428
During the Middle Trypillia phase (ca. 4000 to 3500 BC), populations belonging to the Cucuteni-Trypillian culture built the largest settlements in Neolithic Europe, some of which contained as many as 3,000 structures and with the possibility of 20,000 to 46,000 inhabitants.

Hard to say if they had biggest cities etc...
But unlike bosnian pyramids they exsisted.

Also i doubt average Ukrainian know something about that.
>>
>>1712444
How the fuck did that happen in Ukraine, that far away from the Fertile Crescent?
>>
>>1712187
It was fought over for centuries, and managed to survive. It took having conquerors who really didn't give a shit (the Mongols) to eventually beat the place back.
>>
>>1712451
I bet on drunk sailors and cheap whores around dneper
>>
>>1712451
civilization first appeared there but it quickly spread to Europe and ukraine has some of the richest and most fertile agricultural regions of Europe
>>
>>1712372
If NYC kept Long Island as part of Queens then the number would be even higher
>>
>>1712089
I do not think there are reliable estimates for city sizes for some of them like Alexandria. Still a nice map though.
>>
>>1712161
It was larger then Samarkand and one of the critical trade cities straddling both the East and West routes of the Silk Road.
>>
>>1712089
nothing in africa? this is totally westernized, there's been so many great societies and cities all throughout africa. for much of history africa was thriving while europeans were not even civilized
>>
>>1712585
>this stale tired meme again.
>>
>>1712188
why would it be manhattan? The five boroughs make up the city.
>>
Fez? That kinda surprises me as a Moroccan.
When was it the biggest?
>>
Is there an objective and universally applicable measure as to what belongs to a city?
>>
>>1712421
Why? the land is fertile as fuck and steppe nomads did not exist.
>>
>>1712387
>the largest
all of them on the map were THE largest at some point

edo was the largest in the 1700's, and hangzhou was the largest immediately preceding that.

a lot of the cities on that map are memes though

>>1712397
europe has always been more decentralized than the rest of the world, and less stable. honestly I'm a little surprised it even made the list. years on the map would make it a better infograph
>>
>>1712585
There are like 15 in africa
>>
>>1713010
8, close enough
>>
>>1713017
only because carthage was destroyed and rebuilt 8 times
>>
>>1713032
Egypt is part of africa, as is morocco
>>
>>1713038
right, obvious oversight

egypt
carthage
carthage
carthage
carthage
carthage
carthage
>>
>>1712804
Around 1170
>>
>>1713047
Fez
Carthage
Alexandria
Cairo
Memphis
Abydos
Avaris & Pi-Ramses
Thebes
>>
>>1712293
If you don't have an idea of when most of these were at their height, read and book/do some research.
80% of these are "standard knowledge" in humanities.
>>
>>1713067
Its in egypt, egypt is in africa
>>
>>1713069
I like how half of the topics are asking basic bitch questions such as "is evolution real" or "is it important to understand math to be smart when I can just read more history?" and you guys are accomodating, but some anon that doesn't have an encyclopedic knowledge of prehistory is ridiculed
>>
>>1713069
>I dont know either, but here is a condescending remark, so that I can feel smart
>>
>>1712161
It had a boom period shortly before the Mongols rolled in, but that it was ever the largest city is a guess.
>>
>>1713107
Most of these are guesses to some degree or another
>>
>>1713128
Like everything else in this thread.
>>
>>1713093
>t new king
>>
>>1712379
>i disagree with facts, look how smart i am :D

/his/ - politically incorrect views on past events
>>
>>1713067
>>1713078

there is a Thebes in Greece and also a Thebes in Egypt. Although I know realize that the Egyptian one might have been (re?)named that after Alexander? Or maybe not, just a thought.
>>
>>1713574
Thebes in Egypt is older than the Greek city, been settled for over 5000 years iirc . If anything I think the Greek city is named after the Egyptian Thebes
>>
File: ur a faggot.jpg (238KB, 1442x617px) Image search: [Google]
ur a faggot.jpg
238KB, 1442x617px
>>1712089
always astounds me how deep greater-greece's area of affective control was with the depth into afrika of thebes and penetrating all the way into the gates of asia with the bactricians
>>
>>1713827
It always astounds me how WE WUZ fags can look at a port city colony with 5000 people living there and assume that all of the land for hundreds of miles around it belonged to the greeks trading there.
>>
>>1713832
easy one when you're the only one with the conception of property rights
>>
>>1713850
So the greeks ruled that land that they never saw, didn't map nor knew exists, and those people they never met, nor had contact with, nor again knew existed?

We wuz as fuck.
>>
>>1713873
if you say so
>>
>>1713873
take one look at how chinas economic prosperity of the rise of communism stopping it being carved and conquered with a continuation of european powers if the war had not ended when it did, with the rise of communism in the country. now look at it. australias second most spoken language after english is mandarin. thank fuck we're white. 5I
>>
>>1713875
What does any of this have to do with the post you are replying to?
>>
>>1713888
if i wasnt a part of the five eyes id be the barbarian to chinas greece
>>
>>1712136
No
>>
>>1712421
Those cities didnt exist in Egyp
>>1712428
Before trying to disprove something at least do some research, retard
>>
>>1712451
Good land for agriculture
>>
>>1713905
No, you are stating unrelated things and acting as if you are making a point.
Either explain yourself or stop responding.
>>
>>1713924
im stating that if the nukes werent dropped on china it would have been divided and conquered by european powers but instead china is a national force and if it wasnt for the english hegemony they would be the greeks and i would be the rest of the unchartered shit owned by them
>>
>>1713918
yes
>>
>>1713918
city v city yes is what he means
empire no
>>
File: LIMRk.jpg (50KB, 499x306px) Image search: [Google]
LIMRk.jpg
50KB, 499x306px
>>1712428
>1 of millions sitting on anonymous message board in 2016
>believes the mainstream story of reality
>stay in ur cell twerp
>>
how autistic are you retard?
>oh no hes expanding the topic of conversation therefor ive got no fucking idea whats going on
>>
I think it was pretty foolish to cast hrithik roshan as a dravidian in mohenjo daro.
>>
>>1713994
>bollywood
literal cancer.

gives indian cinema a bad name.
>>
>>1713934
There were no nukes dropped on China. You are mentally ill.
>>
>>1712585

There are literally more African cities on that map than European
>>
>>1714008
but indian are all green eyed brown haired greek gods yar. lets dance!
>>
>>1714025
None of the nukes were in Manchuria. Take your pills and chill.
>>
really makes me think
>>
>>1714025
>until western powers greenlighted the creation of the chinese independant state
Negro what?

The whole of China wasn't occupied by any western/colonial power and is De Jure under the ROC during the time. what Independent Chinese State are you talking about?
>>
>>1714033
roshan is a manlet IIRC.
>>
>>1714068
There were no nukes used by the Russians against the Chinese, anon. Consult your doctor, you sound very unstable.
>>
When was New York the largest city in the world?
>>
>>1714088
Never.
>>
>>1713850
>>1713827
>>1713574
>>1713093
>>1713067
The original Thebes was Egyptian and existed way before the Greeks were even buildijg mudhuts you fucking idiot.

Educate yourself before posting.

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Thebes,_Egypt

It was one of the wealthiest cities in the Old Kingdom and even became the capital during the New Kingdom. It was also the center of the cult of Amun.

Just because you never heard of it doesn't make it any less relevant. In fact the Egyptian Thebes is historically more significant than the Greek one.
>>
>>1714110
>its a retard gets proven wrong, so he acts as if he was trolling all along episode
>>
>>1714088
From 1925 to 1962 apparantly
>>
File: wikipedia.png (124KB, 1002x813px) Image search: [Google]
wikipedia.png
124KB, 1002x813px
>>1714092
Made this just now based on Wikipedia. It does seem that New York overtook most major cities around the 70's?

Are there other candidates?
>>
>>1714124
Tokyo has been the biggest since the 60's. It has like 25 million people
>>
>>1714128
I'm fairly sure this is about the metropolis, not the metropolitan area. Tokyo is only 13 million.
>>
File: Tokyo_historical_population.gif (20KB, 649x266px) Image search: [Google]
Tokyo_historical_population.gif
20KB, 649x266px
>>1714128
>>1714135
But yeah, Tokyo still seems to beat New York when New York beat the others

So New York never was the largest city in the world?
>>
>>1714142
>So New York never was the largest city in the world?

From 1925 to 1962 it was.
>>
>>1714135
Depends what you define as "Tokyo"
>>
>>1712161
You got some nerve to doubt Merv.
>>
>>1714142
New York was almost twice as populous as Tokyo in 1925, Tokyo didnt overtake till 1962
>>
>>1714158
>>1714149
But in the 20's Londong beat New York >>1714124
>>
>>1714158
And London was bigger than New York at the time. You seem to have a problem understanding the question here.
>>
you can still work with 2 legs and a back pleb
>>
>>1714164
Its using Chandlers list, which seems to use different criteria than other lists
>>
>>1714135
tokyo is on that list for 2 reasons. edo was the largest city on the planet in the 1700s. Sometime in the 50s, tokyo also became the largest in size, population, integrated infrastructure, lack of discrete boundaries, etc.

tokyo is not like new york. there are no discrete boundaries, and no breathing room. tokyo literally just NEVER ends until you get to the forest. and it's all completely politically integrated, which is why it's a single city.

tokyo DOES have a communter suburb. it's chiba, 50 miles away, part of the same subway system, NOT included in the population count, and the tokyo suburbs and the suburbs include anothe 20 million people

tokyo is fcking huge. nothing compares on the planet. though shanghai comes close and manila/calcutta are comparable in a disgusting "well there isn't relaly anything built, but it sure as hell doesn't end" kind of way
>>
>>1714165
OP's image is based on Chandlers list, which gives New York's population in the 20's as being higher than London's
>>
>>1714165
>And London was bigger than New York at the time.

Metro area to metro area? I doubt that. Source?
>>
>>1713935

No, you retarded fuck, Carthage was a shithole compared to Rome and Romans won because they outnumbered them greatly
>>1713937
Kys
>>
>>1712089
A lot of guesswork and outright bullshit. Really just seems to be a list of cities that were at some point the biggest in their own region. Like it includes places like Merv, Cordoba, and Polonnaruwa, which at their height in the Middle Ages would have still been far smaller than contemporary Chinese cities. And all those Egyptian cities, when Egypt was hardly even an urbanized society (Alexandria's the only one that might deserve to be on that map). Then there are places like Shravasti and Rajagriha where the only evidence I can find of their population seem to come from oral record (utterly worthless when it comes to numbers).

Plenty of those cities definitely do deserve their places; Rome, Tokyo, Beijing and Chang'an for example. Others, like Pataliputra, Ayutthaya and Baghdad are far more debatable. And then there are some notable absences, like Angkor, which in size was the largest city in pre-Indusrial history, and was possibly the largest in population around the 13th century.

Also
>Talianki, Maydanets, Dobrovody, Catalhoyuk, Jericho
>cities
>>
>>1714528
Just as one example of the problems in this map, take a look at the size of Cairo at its height in the 15th and 16th centuries compared with contemporary and later African cities and settlements.
>>
>>1714540
And as another example, an account of Ayutthaya's population from 1692;

>Considering the bigness of the City, it is not very populous, and in some parts but thinly inhabited, particularly on the West side on account of its remoteness, and towards the South by reason of the morassy ground, over which people make shift to get upon planks, or paltry bridges. This makes that in those parts there are abundance of empty spaces and large gardens behind the streets, wherein they let nature work, so that they are full of grass, Herbs, Shrubs and Trees, that grow wild.
>>
>>1714540
>dat ouagadoudou
the fuck is up with this pattern
>>
>>1713924
see
>>1713975
>>
>>1712293
This.
>>
>>1714302
Carthage lost because their Senate of Elders literally adopted a strategy of "lets not support Hannibal so if shit goes sideways we have a literal alibi" to the Romans. When Romans didn't buy that shit and sent Scipio to North Africa, they lost. So the main reason is them half-assing the war. Carthage was always a MASSIVE city-state, its ports were fucking reknowned across the entire world. The Greeks and Romans both talked about how huge the city's size was, its population, its wealth, and the range of its merchants and traders.
>>
>>1713769
Egyptians never called it Thebes, it's a shitty greekbexonym like many others we use in western historiography. You call it Thebes for the same reason people visits the Pyramid of Cheops, not the pyramid of Khufu.
>>
>>1714660
Big but not nearly as big as Rome
>>
>>1714302
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_largest_cities_throughout_history
>>
>>1714671
Carthage wasn't ever bigger than Rome but Rome in 1-400 AD. Rome wasn't always 1,000,000 city. At the time of the Punic Wars Carthage as a city was larger and richer. Of course Carthaginian Empire still sucked compared to the Roman one, but we are talking about cities only here.
>>
>>1713827
The Mesopotamian cities were from an earlier time period than Ancient Greece
>>
>>1715008
Jesus christ, the biggest city in 1AD had a higher population than the biggest city in 1700AD

Didn't expect this, I guess countries weren't really centralized from the fall of the Roman Empire untill the Industrial Revolution
>>
>>1714671
You have never seen the ports and docks of Carthage have you? Or its seawalls for that matter I imagine.
>>
>>1714660
Fucking bullshit, once Hannibal managed to cross the Alps the senate gave full support to Hannibal, three fucking times they tried to send him reinforcements, tens of thousands of men each time. Every time the romans prevented Hannibal from reaching them and destroyed them piecemeal. Hannibal lost because he was only better than Rome at tactics, roman generals outstrategized him.
>>
>>1715030
Cities only reach those huge proportions in the late stages of civilisation.
>>
>>1713934
I think you need to take the time to more clearly elucidate, if you want people to understand what you're saying.

Or, take your meds and breathe sweetie.
>>
>>1715080
>>1715080
Its clear that the Carthaginians heavily prioritized the Iberian theater over the Italian one.
I believe it is Polybius who has a nice excerpt where Hannibal sends a diplomat back home to request more troops after his major victories, and he is basically shrugged off. Hannibal never truly had the support of the Carthaginian senate, which is somewhat understandable, because he did nearly entirely start the war himself.
>>
>>1715080
Idiot. The almost entire expenditure and financing of both native and mercenary soldiers for Carthage was by the Barca family itself.
>>
>>1715970
Different guy. Carthage didn't really have a viable supply chain in place for reinforcing Hannibal. The reason Hannibal went over the alps wasn't solely for the element of surprise. He couldn't risk getting to Italy directly by sea. Rome had crippled carthages naval power. Carthage was also fighting on multiple fronts. Hannibal's brother did reinforce him, but It would have been really difficult to continually reinforce Hannibal. I don't think the senate/nobles was crazy about Hannibal but I think saying they cost Carthage the war is ignoring the logistical nightmare supporting his Italian campaign would be, as well as the other fronts they were fighting on.
>>
>>1712372
no, right now is the largest it's ever been at 8.5m
Thread posts: 126
Thread images: 9

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.