[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

What is some decent reading material on the Byzantine empire?

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 12
Thread images: 4

File: byzantium.png (25KB, 640x361px)
byzantium.png
25KB, 640x361px
What is some decent reading material on the Byzantine empire?

I'm familiar with the broad arc of its history, and am therefore aware that this might be about an odd request as asking for reading material on Rome without narrowing it down at all. But I know there's a lot of interesting stories and people that I've never been introduced to, and I need and entry point.

What's a good place to start?
>>
File: images.jpg (110KB, 688x1080px) Image search: [Google]
images.jpg
110KB, 688x1080px
I'm currently reading pic related. Seems good so far. I think I'll move to Norwich's "Byzantium: The Early Years" next. Or perhaps to some primary sources, like the writings of Michael Psellus, Procopius or Anna Comnena.
>>
Gibbon
>>
>>1705091
Please take everything from 500-800 with a grain of salt. Majority of our information is based Theophanes whose accounts are very dubious. Especially if you plan on reading Gibbon.
>>
>>1705119
meant for OP
>>
>>1705067
If you read the primary sources I'd also suggest you read commentaries on them or you dive straight into the archaeology of the empire.

A lot of the stuff Procopius has written is blatant glorification of Justinian I. Take for example the fortifications of the Balkans which he mentions were built or additionally fortified by Justinian himself. Many of them were built by Diocletian, Constantine, and his successors, and even more were fortified by the following emperors. What Procopius did was simply accredit Justinian for all of this. One example why you should invest time into reading Archaeology literature.

My other advise is to read literature that is not dedicated to the whole history, but to read up on specific themes. The other two authors which were mentioned in the quoted post have also written stuff they were not fully informed about, the bogomils for example.
>>
File: 1451360496362.png (864KB, 1900x1364px)
1451360496362.png
864KB, 1900x1364px
>>1705119
>t. asshurt bizzieboos
>>
>>1704829
The alexiad by Anna Comnena
>>
>>1705181
>le super kewl Khalid Sue rekt those damn infidels!!!!!
>nearly all of the sources are either the Quran or centuries later; and include ridiculous shit such as the byzantines and Sassanids working together or the byzantines fielding more men in a single battle than there were in their entire empire
>>
File: byzantines btfo.png (38KB, 1145x343px) Image search: [Google]
byzantines btfo.png
38KB, 1145x343px
>>1705989
Stay assblasted. Your pleb-tier """empire""" never came close to the glory of real Rome and deep down you know it.

The history of the ERE is just one long protracted failure.
>>
ostrogorsky history of the byzantine state
>>
>>1706892
Not an argument.

Try again
Thread posts: 12
Thread images: 4

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.