[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

How terrible exactly did the Italians perform in World War 1?

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 11
Thread images: 1

How terrible exactly did the Italians perform in World War 1? and why? I noticed that they won more battles than they lost, but they had many humiliating defeats especially at the Isonzo River and when lead by Luigi Cadorna.
>>
Not too terribly considering they were trying to push through one of the most defensible borders in Europe.
>>
>>1701357

Rommel has said that the average Italian infantry was good but the officer corps was lacking.
>>
they were italian
>>
>>1701357
Not as bad as the austrians or russians.
I'm sure they threw more spaghetti than grenades.
>>
Considered that the last offensive they took was the final blow to A-H, not terribly, even compared to the other players in the War.

Cadorna had good ideas (such as prioritizing artillery and understanding the usefulness of machine guns in warfare) but they were very much executed badly, what with the fact he insisted to use human wave tactis as THE primary way to win in all cintexts and all. Armando Diaz was much better as a General and was ultimately the one that lead Italy to victory.
>>
>>1701357
Terrible leadership, wonderful Soldiers.
Maybe a lack of equipment and logistical problems (not so sure, cant find any sources that say the Italians where lacking or had a surplus when it came to equipment in ww1)
>>
>>1701396
>Terrible leadership, wonderful Soldiers.
This. Waste of good men.
>>
>>1701375
>understanding the usefulness of machine guns
>insisted to use human wave tactis
How could he concurrently hold both these ideas?
>>
>>1701888
If my understanding is correct, it was a matter of him assuming that the machine guns were useful only in chokepoints, and that, even then, artillery could root them out.
>>
>>1701357
Italy was up to snuff with the rest of Europe during WWI, and performed well enough to defeat Austria-Hungary and deliver the killing blow.

but as for raw casualties on the Italian front, Italy suffered a combined total of 1,604,886 killed/wounded/missing. While Austria suffered 1,611,000 total casualties if wiki's records are correct. So both sides were almost evenly matched, with Italy inflicting just barely more casualties on the Austrians, not bad.
Thread posts: 11
Thread images: 1

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.