[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

Is there a linguist crazier than Edor Nyland ?

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 11
Thread images: 1

File: Jellyfish.jpg (758KB, 1024x768px) Image search: [Google]
Jellyfish.jpg
758KB, 1024x768px
Is there a linguist crazier than Edor Nyland ?
>>
I'm unfamiliar with that person, could you tell us why you think he's crazy?
>>
>>1699375
I've never seen anything as ridiculous as the shit he writes. Nyland doesn't speak Basque. (Let that sink in for a second.) Instead, he spends hours paging through "the best Basque dictionary" to find words that fit his mad-scientist theory that all languages come from Basque, each syllable in every word being derived from a part of some Basque word. That some of the "Basque" words he finds are obvious borrowings from Spanish (e.g., 'eboluzio' from 'evoluciĆ³n'), thus rendering his "proofs" circular, doesn't daunt him, much less the fact that he's clearly using a modern Basque dictionary in his quest to prove the Basque provenance of thousand-year-old inscriptions in some cases. (This is like saying that an instance of the word 'bit' appearing in Beowulf (written in Old English) should actually be interpreted to mean 'a piece of information' because that's one of the definitions in a modern English dictionary.) Linguistic crackpottery doesn't come in a much purer form than this.
>>
>>1699404
we wuz kings n shieet atlantian brother we uzed to have colonies all ovah te world made space mishionz an shiet till dat step nigger came and distroyed all the civilization on dis world
>>
>>1699360
Dereje Birbirso
https://haramaya.academia.edu/DerejeTadesse
>>
>>1699360
Well he's not a linguist so...
>>
>>1699455
fug da kurgans are rasis n shiet
>>
While we're talking about crazy theories in general, I have to give points to

>That guy who believes the year is only like 1690, because the Pope got China, Persia, everyone in Europe, the Mesoamericans, and Indians together and convinced them all to skip from 600AD to 1000AD because IT'LL BE THE CURRENT YEAR

>The guy who believes Rome still exists because history is actually just stories filtering from other places to us via our flawed information transmission methods and the Roman Kingdom was founded only about 300 years ago

>The guy who believes humans used to have two brains and and were unthinking animals built civilizations, art, writing, warfare, religion, etc out of instinct with only a handful of people (IE, Alexander the Great) who for reasons actually only had one brain and could therefore take advantage of the simple minded rubes around them

>Anyone who espouses the "Old Europe was Matriarchal!" meme

>The "The Indo-Europeans actually came from SEA and were coal black midgets" theory Indians keep regurgitating
>>
>>1699404
WE
>>
>>1699360
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Paleolithic_Continuity_Theory
>>
I don't know any linguists so probably I guess, I have no idea.
Thread posts: 11
Thread images: 1

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.