[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

Mortara Affair

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 13
Thread images: 3

I recently read about the Mortara case, and it seems strange to me that it should be so unknown, despite the understanding that it was a catalyst for the Italian Unification.

In essence:
>1857
>Jewish family in the Papal States employs a local Catholic maid
>said maid secretly baptized one of the sons of the family during a period of grave illness, and would happen to divulge the details to several people
>the rumors ended up reaching the ears of the Holy Office, who considered the child to be Christian; the order is given for the boy to be taken from his family forcefully, and raised a Christian
>massive controversy erupts, most European nations recognize the Papacy for the anachronism it really is
>French Emperor Napoloen III - protector of the Papal States - was so filled with distaste at the Church's role that he began supporting Italian Unification (i.e. and the dismantling of the Papal States)
>the Church refuses to return the child

What I find laughable is how ridiculous the Catholic propaganda was during the Mortara case: the Church alleged that the child, Edgardo Mortara, had immediately accepted the Catholic faith and wished for his family to convert so as to save them for Hell, as well as an account of him learning the entire Catechism of the Church in a few days due to his piety (whereas every other non-Catholic account tells of a crying boy who screamed and yelled to be let back with his family). Sounds like North Korean propaganda in just how absurd it is.

But I think this affair might have given rise to more anti-clerical/anti-Catholic feeling than is assumed.
>>
>>1696360
Got me interested, bump for you op
>>
Catholics are good people. They're just insane.
>>
Fucking saved senpai
Never heard of it until today, but sounds too good to pass off.
>>
File: 1404675697501.jpg (83KB, 720x720px) Image search: [Google]
1404675697501.jpg
83KB, 720x720px
>>1697132
>>1697116
>>1697097
There is a movie being released in 2017 by spielberg, this is just conscious marketing. http://www.imdb.com/title/tt3675680/
>>
>>1697223
>(((spielberg)))
>>
>>1696360

Dude, if you think that's insane, read a few lives of the saints.

It's literally fanfiction-tier.

AND THEN THERE WERE HERETICS AND SAINT STRONGIUS WAS LIKE NONONO YOU CAN'T BE HERETICS AND THEN THEY WEREN'T HERETICS AND THEY BECAME FRIENDS AND HAD MANY MORE ADVENTURES TOGETHER
>>
>>1697223
Awesome, thanks for the ad senpai
>>
File: image.png (91KB, 250x317px) Image search: [Google]
image.png
91KB, 250x317px
>>1696360
tfw Risorgimento
>>
>>1697230
I love how the Vatican just stopped trying to have any say in how it's perceived what so ever.

It's like after some 1,500 years they finally just gave up.
>>
>>1697223
oy vey my son is gay-tier
>>
>>1697116
>willingly breaking a family apart because of a stupid and supposedly magic ritual
>good people

Pick one
>>
Very interesting, I had never heard of this case. Thanks, OP!
Thread posts: 13
Thread images: 3

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.