[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

Best Mythology

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 39
Thread images: 8

File: 2eZVMc6.jpg (350KB, 1920x1080px) Image search: [Google]
2eZVMc6.jpg
350KB, 1920x1080px
What do you think is the best area of Mythology?
Personal I'd have to say Greek or Norse mythology.
>>
File: Gigamesh_mourns_Enkidu.jpg (69KB, 658x436px) Image search: [Google]
Gigamesh_mourns_Enkidu.jpg
69KB, 658x436px
>Best mythology
>Norse
Terrible meme. Everything interesting in Norse mythology is told better in Celtic mythology or Slavic mythology. Greece is fine, it's a standard, but it cribs so much from the Near East it's kind of annoying. Go back to early Mesopotamian mythology, Epic of Gilgamesh level shit, now that's based.
>>
I tried to read a book on Norse mythology, and it was incredibly convoluted
>>
Aztec. It's insanely complex with deity interactions, but is also strict, unlike some more animistic mythologies that have a lot of deities. And most of it is about gods killing themselves and each other.
>>
>>1679221
Zoroastrian.

And also the classic greco-roman mythology, of course.

I need to study more semitic/middle eastern/mesopotamian since I only know the basics but the Bible and >>1679232 make it seem very interesting as well. In fact, I could mark biblical mythology as one of my favourites (I'm not christian).
>>
File: Codex_Borgia_(Lacambalam,_2002).jpg (2MB, 2407x2432px) Image search: [Google]
Codex_Borgia_(Lacambalam,_2002).jpg
2MB, 2407x2432px
>>1679257
this
>>
Aztec or Maya.
>>
>>1679221
Norse mythology is hollywood thrash, the best mythology is the roman one
>>
>>1679472
>roman one
Other than Romulus and Remus what mythology are you talking about?
>>
File: DOEPLERODINMimir.jpg (987KB, 1076x600px) Image search: [Google]
DOEPLERODINMimir.jpg
987KB, 1076x600px
>>1679232
I gotta look more into Celtic and Slavic mythology. Celtic is even more animistic than Norse if I remember right from cursory reading months ago.
>>1679242
Same. I think I'll try reading it again soon since It's been like 6 years since I bought it. This site is a lot more concise.
http://norse-mythology.org/
>>1679472
Hollywood took it because a lot of it is "badass", and because it's the best account of pre-Christian European religion.
>>
>>1679232
Would love to get a book recommendation, or just a name of an expert on Slavic mythology.
>>
What should we call the specific brand of Catholicism/Classical mythology syncretization you find with certain authors? That, or more generally every type of localized folk Catholicism.
>>
>>1679221
>best mythology
What the fuck does this even mean?
>>
>>1679221
Catholicism desu

>>1680502
Cultural fanfiction
>>
>>1680501
You mean like Dante?
>>
>>1679232

Wow, i didnt realize that even /his/ had posers
>>
>>1679221
Anything so long as it's not American """"""""""""Mythology.""""""""""

And no I'm not talking Native American.
>Opened a book on "Myths of the World."
>Ameriniggers dared to put the fucking US there and shit like "Paul Bunyan" or "Johnny Appleseed" as mythology.
Cringe as fuck.
>>
Japanese mythology is pretty dope.
>>
Aboriginal
>how did all these mountains and rivers get there?
>they're the tracks of a giant snake
It actually makes sense that you'd assume that other than some weird Greek shit with sky people.
>>
Zoroastrianism's is pretty cool
>>
>>1680461
That link you provided is really good, i was reading a bit of it just now, im going to continue later but thanks for the link mate.
>>
>>1679221
>satan
>baal
>marduk
>>
>>1679232
Wut. Norse mythology isn't that similar to celtic and slavic. Not the theological tales. Things like lokes trickery and shit is ace. When in celtic mythology does a god get raped by a horse?
>>
Hindu mythology

There are no stronger gods

There are no philosophical gods

There are no numerous gods
>>
>>1680502
He means favorite, most likely.
>>1679221
>Personal I'd have to say Greek or Norse mythology.
That is pretty much the only you know of, ain't it so?

I personally hardly know African and Aboriginal mythology, only the spider trickster when it comes to Africa.

Tricksters are my favorite part of mythology and they are pretty much universal.
>>
I always found it funny that one of the supreme deities and probably most important one of the Aztecs was a troll.
>>
File: Blue Tezcatlipoca.jpg (97KB, 571x600px) Image search: [Google]
Blue Tezcatlipoca.jpg
97KB, 571x600px
>>1681496
why were there 4 Tezcatlipocas?
>>
>>1679476
Aeneid maybe?
>>
>>1681246
Astras are pretty cool.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Astra_(weapon)
>>
>>1679257
Could you recommend a good introductory book on Aztec mythology? :)
>>
>>1680502
>best mythology
>What the fuck does this even mean?
It means Greek mythology.
>>
File: jtot_genesis_cosmology.jpg (303KB, 750x416px) Image search: [Google]
jtot_genesis_cosmology.jpg
303KB, 750x416px
Old Testament/Jewish Mythology
>>
>>1681550
The four directions I assume, and it was the number of the sun. Tezcatlipoca himself was a sun,
>>
>>1681608
cool, was there a fifth one?
>>
>>1681624
Nanahuatzin (Our current and final sun). Later changed to Huitzilopochtli by the Aztecs to elevate their unknown minor deity to a central sun deity when they sought to define their imperialistic agenda.
>>
The Mesopotamian one for being OG
The Norse one for being the one I can identify with the most
>>
>>1681579
I would like this too.
>>
>>1681593
Literalism is cancer.
>>
>>1681579
>>1681678

An Illustrated Dictionary of the Gods and Symbols of Ancient Mexico and the Maya

https://mega.nz/#!
rMMnCTwR!daKfOmq9YuSuDINVwVoTBAL3xCrq2qyqxeTTIw9_ym4

Aztec and Maya Myths (Legendary Past Series). Karl Taube

https://mega.co.nz/#!
J5kBnY5B!RQcaVAkueodR0cLGpfZr_WT0o5RO0mArXBeH9-nC1SQ

Also check out the Aztecs by Michael E Smith
and Tamoanchan, Tlalocan: Places of Mist by Alfredo Lopez Austin and look into the Legend of the Five Suns. This animation is actually pretty decent:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8xJSIc1HmU8
Thread posts: 39
Thread images: 8

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.