[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

Cavalry Lances in WW1

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 17
Thread images: 5

I have done some research on the subject but I haven't found any actual answers on the subject
My question is were Lances ever used in combat on any fronts during the first world war?
Any and all information and answers would be greatly appreciated
And yes I know there is a very low chance that this actually happened since horses were largely removed from combat roles during the war but I am asking anyway
Pic is completely unrelated( I am basically illiterate when it comes to images and converting them to different file types so please forgive me)
>>
From wikipedia.

>Lances were still in use by the British, Indian, French, Russian, Belgian, Turkish, Italian, and German armies at the outbreak of World War I. In initial cavalry skirmishes in France this antique weapon proved ineffective, German uhlans being "hampered by their long lances and a good many threw them away".[8] A major action involving repeated charges by four regiments of German cavalry, all armed with lances, at Halen on 12 August 1914 was unsuccessful.[9] Amongst the Belgian defenders was one regiment of lancers who fought dismounted.

>With the advent of trench warfare, lances and the cavalry that carried them ceased to play a significant role.[10]

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Lance#World_War_I_and_after
>>
Actual set lances? None. There were cavalry charges with sabers and pistols, but no accounts I know of with set lances or even mounted spearmen. I think that's a Polish hussars WW2 meme.
>>
>>1679212
>>1679213
Thanks for the info m80's
Have a (You)
>>
>>1679206
During the Russo-Japanese War, Sir Ian Hamilton observed that against entrenched machine guns, the best thing the cavalry could do was cook rice for the infantry.
>>
>>1679206
I have several photo books of WW1 and you see a lot of lancers, but not actual combat photos. Most are taken in towns.
>>
File: 1421686469152.jpg (537KB, 1800x1224px) Image search: [Google]
1421686469152.jpg
537KB, 1800x1224px
>>1679516
Poast moar sexy lances.
>>
File: 06_bardach_cavalry.jpg (458KB, 908x611px) Image search: [Google]
06_bardach_cavalry.jpg
458KB, 908x611px
>>1679550
have some uhlanen
>>
>>1679331
Because infantry did so much better.
>>
>>1679331
imagine what he would have observed if he had whitnesed Polish lancers charging German tanks in ww2
>>
>>1680918
>Polish lancers charging German tanks in ww2
never happened
>>
Actually, although these guys are right about the European theatre, cavalry were still used relatively successfully in middle eastern theatres, so logically they'd have used lance's there too. But yeah, afaik cavalry wasn't used much after the initial engagements in the European theatre.
>>
>>1681438
im quite sure it did
>>
>>1681999
You are quite WRONG.

>Contrary to German propaganda, Polish cavalry brigades never charged tanks with their sabres or lances as they were equipped with anti-tank weapons such as 37 mm Bofors wz.36 (exported to UK as Ordnance Q.F. 37 mm Mk I) antitank guns, that could penetrate 26 mm of armour at 600 m at 30 degrees. The cavalry brigades were in the process of being reorganized into motorized brigades.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Charge_at_Krojanty

>On 1 September 2009 Sir Simon Jenkins, writing for the The Guardian newspaper's website, characterised the notion of pitting Polish cavalry against tanks as "the most romantic and idiotic act of suicide of modern war."[7] On 21 September 2009, The Guardian was forced to publish an admission that his article "repeated a myth of the second world war, fostered by Nazi propagandists, when it said that Polish lancers turned their horses to face Hitler's panzers. There is no evidence that this occurred."[7]

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Polish_cavalry#Cavalry_charges_and_propaganda

A Polish cavalryman used his anti-tank rifle to fight German panzers.

Pic related.
>>
>>1679754
Still searching for an argument there
>>
>>1679206
I recall reading a German Calvary unit led by the Red Baron defeated Russians in 1914 and this was the only successful Calvary attack of the war.
>>
>>1684516
>this was the only successful Calvary attack of the war.
there were several

>CaLVary
RRRRRRRRRRREEEEEEEEEE
Thread posts: 17
Thread images: 5

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.