[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

Why didn't Russia or any other great power invade Scandinavia

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 17
Thread images: 1

File: scandinaviaa.jpg (42KB, 510x457px) Image search: [Google]
scandinaviaa.jpg
42KB, 510x457px
Why didn't Russia or any other great power invade Scandinavia and take it over? How hard could it be?
>>
>>1677293
Nobody cared. Except for Russia about Finland.
>>
>>1677293
Because they got recked by Sweden and Finland
>>
>Why didn't X or Y European country invade and permanently claim as it's own Z European country
The Peace of Westphalia, that's why.

Also Finland has had varrying degrees of autonomy from Russia over the years.
>>
>>1677293
Becuase everytime someone does another foreign power starts making trouble for the invader.
Its not like theres much reason to take the lands over anyway. Finland mostly intrests sweden because its a buffer state against Russia and Russia wants finland because it makes defending that border easier. Norway only got intresting when they got oil somewhere around the 70s. Nazi Germany mostly took Norway over for defencive reasons too. Having more land is always nice but its not enough reason to waste resources usually.
>>
>Why didn't Russia or any other great power invade Scandinavia and take it over?
many have tried
>How hard could it be?
hard.
>>
>>1677293
Russia during the Great Northern War and the Finland War (the napoleonic one, not the winter war) both times invaded Sweden proper and took over the at that times most valuable parts of the Swedish Empire.
Denmark was invaded by the Prussians during the Unifiation Wars and a good chunk of it annexed
>>
>>1677293
>why doesn't someone go attack northern places and annex the people with strong national identities that live in them

the only reason scandinavia has relative prosperity is that no one's doing such things nearby. in taking it you'd ruin it and just get an area with low population and little farmable land.
>>
>Need warm water ports
>Invade countries with only cold water ports
Ruskies are smarter than that
>>
>>1677479
Well the baltic sea is pretty important for trade for Russia.
>>
Was there any reason to do so before we discovered Oil there in modern times? No.
Norse went on Viking raids for a reason you know
>>
>>1677293
Well Denmark, Norway and Finland have all been invaded and occupied by a foreign force at some point.

Sweden is too big for anyone to have been able to properly occupy it without spending obscene amount of resources that were better used elsewhere. Also have a look at the coastal area around Stockholm to find out why no naval attacks were made directly against it.
>>
MWAHAHAHAH!

AT LONG LAST WE HAVE SEIZED THE SCANDINAVIAN...uh...smelly fish, emo weather, and shit farmland?
>>
>>1677498
I think the Russians tried but it ended with tgeir fleet going into a trap, shot at from several directions with any survivors getting cut down by nearby civilians.

>>1677487
Danish soundtull and kopparberget are the two I can think off.
>>
>What was Narvik in '41
>Who was Vidkun Quisling
>Wut iz ww2
>Wat are the axis powers

Kys
>>
well what the fuck were they supposed to do with Scandinavia after taking it over ? You can't really do much with it, its not worth the effort
>>
>>1678719
Threaten the British Isles?
That's the only reason I could think of.
Thread posts: 17
Thread images: 1

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.