[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

Why couldn't Rome take Germania?

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 14
Thread images: 2

File: 1444715511574.jpg (1004KB, 3741x2490px) Image search: [Google]
1444715511574.jpg
1004KB, 3741x2490px
Why couldn't Rome take Germania?
>>
They didn't want to. Not worth the effort desu
>>
Because this gullible retard named Quinctilius Varus existed.
>>
Difficult to navigate and a logistical nightmare for a campaign. You'd need native support and Arminius showed you can never trust a fucking german
>>
It was a shithole and not worth the risks
>>
Overland transport in Roman days was about a hundred times as expensive per mile as oversea.

That and the Germans didn't have a lot that the Romans wanted. And them thick forests.
>>
>>1673926
Augustus failed to, and he later set up a policy of no more conquests and holding easily defendable borders. Most emperors except a few like Trajan continued this policy.
>>
>>1673926
Romanlets had nothing on Germanic master race.
>>
>>1673982
except civilization :^)
>>
>>1673926
Not much serious effort was made to conquer the Germans after Tiberius had Germanicus killed, beyond the Marcomani war under Marcus Aurelius.

If they put their backs into it I'm sure that they could have before the crisis of the third century.
>>
>>1673926
I blame corrupt politics.
>>
>>1673988
Yeah.
>>
>>1674005
Galo Sengen.
>>
File: Battle of Aquae Sexitae.png (40KB, 312x691px) Image search: [Google]
Battle of Aquae Sexitae.png
40KB, 312x691px
>>1673940
Varus had no effect on hundreds of years post-Teutoberg of Roman forces operating further past their traditional most northern boundaries in Germania fighting other Germanic tribes.

>>1673982
Except genociding like three or four proto-Germanic tribes and beating them in wars until the late 5th century for nearly 900 years. And they were manlets. How can the Germanic even live with this disgrace?
Thread posts: 14
Thread images: 2

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.