[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

To the Religious, What would you do if god was proven to your

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 17
Thread images: 2

File: 1462647049686.png (1MB, 699x699px) Image search: [Google]
1462647049686.png
1MB, 699x699px
To the Religious, What would you do if god was proven to your satisfaction to not be real? (even if you think it to be impossible, pretend it is)
To the Non Religious, what would you do if god was real and proven to your satisfaction?
>>
What sort of proof are we talking about? Is it a white-robed god appearing and quoting his own scripture or like an astronomer finds the 'made by god' sticker on the edge of the universe? Because, if the former, I do whatever the omnipotent thing wants if it's threatening. If it's the latter, I go on not caring about a boring distant Spinozan god.
>>
Depends if it changes anything or not.
>>
I'm religious and if God were ever actually disproved then I would convert to atheism.
>>
>>1664093
>To the Religious, What would you do if god was proven to your satisfaction to not be real? (even if you think it to be impossible, pretend it is)

You can not prove a negative. The existence of God is not scientific, see the flying teapot argument. Religion is and should be based on faith, not reason. This attempt to prove God or the divine was and still is one of the biggest wastes of human intellect and time.
>>
>>1664125

If God was 'disproved', we should invent another one.
>>
File: hypothetical.jpg (22KB, 400x234px) Image search: [Google]
hypothetical.jpg
22KB, 400x234px
>>1664093
"What if"

Is the "if" of the hypothetical that
>>
>>1664093
>To the Non Religious, what would you do if god was real and proven to your satisfaction?
I wouldn't really care and I wouldn't change my behavior simply because he existed. If he was a nice god who had my back and was super wise and could rationally show me how I should behave, I'd probably listen to him, but I wouldn't obey him just because.
>>
>>1664093
>To the Non Religious, what would you do if god was real and proven to your satisfaction?

The problem is not so much that god might not exist, it's which religion to follow. If there turned out to be a deist god, that would be fascinating but I don't think my life would change in any deep way. OTOH, if it turned out the YEC or the Muslims are 100% correct, then I'd become a satanist and rage against the futility of raging against an omnipotent tyrant.
>>
>>1664667
Would the threat of punishment for disobeying them not be enough to motivate you to do as they tell you?
I'm not really fond of my understanding of the Christian God either, but if they or any other god were proven to exist I wouldn't be so stubborn I'd defy them and endure whatever excruciating punishments they'd have lined up just because I disagreed with them.
>>
>>1664093
Probably get on the Gnostic train.
>>
>>1664720
>Would the threat of punishment for disobeying them not be enough to motivate you to do as they tell you?
No, because they would be a false god. Basically the demiurge. Simply because a true god wouldn't give humans reason and independent thinking just so he could tell them to ignore that. Then again, if he truly was omnipotent and could change my nature to where I'd be perfectly happy and content doing his evil will, then there'd be no reason to disobey him. But that's making the assumption an omnipotent god would care at all and would be contradictory and insane. So the more likely explanation is that this god is basically a supernatural, powerful tyrant, but not a being capable of designing or changing existence.
>>
>>1664093
I'd simply say I was mistaken and study theology more. Thats pretty much it.
>>
>(even if you think it is to be impossible, pretend it is)
kek
>>
>>1664720
Fear might be a powerful motivator, but it's not a good one. So no.
>>
>>1664093

Post 'Valisystem is real' in /rel/ threads
>>
God exists as a collective conscience. That's what I believe in.

When I pray for something I want, it gets fulfilled and I feel at ease and at peace.
Thread posts: 17
Thread images: 2

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.