[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

I really, really, really like this sculpture

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 17
Thread images: 3

I really, really, really like this sculpture
>>
>>1659706

I've actually always preferred Bernini's David, it has actual doubt and uncertainty with it. I think that Donatello's version, showing him as a pathetically underdeveloped youth, does go for the whole "God won the victory, not David", but IMO, does so a bit too much; David is supposed to be a warrior in his own right, you know?
>>
File: 1409630808061.png (257KB, 516x526px) Image search: [Google]
1409630808061.png
257KB, 516x526px
>>1659706
It's all yours my friend!
>>
My ex says I look like this statue.

I always took offense because it draws attention to my incredibly small penis, but she meant it as a compliment.
>>
>>1659706
That's a very feminine penis.
>>
>>1659715
>pleb
michelangelo's david
>contrarian
bernini's
>patrician
donatello's
>>
>>1659715
i don't think he's supposed to be a warrior until after the defeat of goliath?
>>
>>1660261

He's at least skilled enough to kill some large predators going after his (or more precisely his father's) flocks. That implies a bit of development, certainly more than "I can't even lift that sword over there" Donatello's David.

>>1660257

Please. Donatello's is easily the weakest. Casting David as this effeminate figure accomplishes what exactly?
>>
>>1660267
david was no soldier. also the triumph of beauty and civilisation over ugliness and barbarity; especially relevant since this is the earliest free-standing bronze nude of the renaissance, reviving the lost wax method of bronzecasting as well as the naturalism of ancient sculpture. if you know its place in the florentine renaissance and the greater renaissance project europe-wide it becomes the patrician's choice. it doesn't hurt that it looks good too

bernini's is the contrarian one because people like it for its action and greater naturalism over the earlier two
>>
>>1660256

Best kind, though.
>>
>>1660276
>david was no soldier.

Except for all the soldiering he would go on to do, and his rather martial exploits beforehand, killing lions and tigers and bears, oh my.

>also the triumph of beauty and civilisation over ugliness and barbarity;

Literally what? How the fuck do you connect that to the Biblical story? At best you can attribute it to a triumph of God and the spiritual over Goliath and the material, but since when are the Philistines barbarians? Goliath's winged helmet, way more elaborate than David's, would also cut against this theory.

>especially relevant since this is the earliest free-standing bronze nude of the renaissance, reviving the lost wax method of bronzecasting as well as the naturalism of ancient sculpture.

So it's innovative. That doesn't mean its message is especially spot on nor the technique is that great. There's a reason it wasn't spoken about much by its contemporaries, nor put in the Florentine town hall.

>especially relevant since this is the earliest free-standing bronze nude of the renaissance, reviving the lost wax method of bronzecasting as well as the naturalism of ancient sculpture.

No, people like it because it's the only one that's conflicted. You have a much greater depth at the moment of the stone's cast than you do once he's already defeated and beheaded Goliath. One is a statue of a conflict, the other is a statue of a conflict won.
>>
>>1660301
>Literally what? How the fuck do you connect that to the Biblical story?

i'm connecting it to the actual commission of the work and the context of the renaissance itself

>since when are the Philistines barbarians?

it's a kind of shorthand for other ideals expressed in the work.

>Goliath's winged helmet, way more elaborate than David's, would also cut against this theory.

for reasons left unsaid?

>According to Vasari, the statue stood on a column designed by Desiderio da Settignano in the middle of the courtyard of the Palazzo Medici; an inscription seems to have explained the statue's significance as a political monument. Giorgio Vasari, Le Vite..., ed. G. Milanesi, Florence, 1878–1885, III, 108. A quattrocento manuscript containing the text of the inscription is probably an earlier reference to the statue; unfortunately the manuscript is not dated. Although a political meaning for the statue is widely accepted, exactly what that meaning is has been a matter of considerable debate among scholars.

>One is a statue of a conflict, the other is a statue of a conflict won.

so?
>>
Well opie, you are not only gay but also a pedo.
>>
>>1660252
No she meant it as an insult
you feminine piece of shit

pic pics of your boipussy now
>>
>>1661076
>i'm connecting it to the actual commission of the work and the context of the renaissance itself

And how is that different from any damn work of art commissioned?

>it's a kind of shorthand for other ideals expressed in the work.

Like ignorance and stupidity? It's pretty clear from the archeological record that the Philistines were far wealthier than their Israelite neighbors. If anything, it's the Hebrews who are the barbarians swarming in, they just happened to leave a written record with their side of the story.

>for reasons left unsaid?

For reasons I thought were obvious. The only direct points of comparison we have between David and Goliath in the statue are their heads. In addition to the rather noticeable size difference, they're both wearing helmets. David's is a simple pot shape with a wreath around it. Goliath's is an elaborate one, cut far closer to the contours of his head, and decorated with wings. It's clearly the more elaborate helmet from the more advanced civilization, thus showing barbarism and simplicity triumphing over skill and civilization.

>so?

Why do you never see a story of " Everything was great and happy and wonderful, and there was no conflict. The end." There is no drama or tension without conflict. Putting your work after the conflict is over creates a denouement with no actual tension to have been resolved. It's pure self-indulgence and it's faintly ridiculous.

Look at what you've been saying this thread. You're excited, not over the statue itself, but over the techniques used to make it, to the advancement of sculpture as an art technique. Not the actual sculpture itself. It's just.... there.
>>
>>1660252
and gynotitties
>>
File: 2007BM5740_michelangelo_david.jpg (339KB, 1000x1500px) Image search: [Google]
2007BM5740_michelangelo_david.jpg
339KB, 1000x1500px
>>1660257
Don't even care if it's pleb tier, Michelangelo's David is aesthetic as fuck.
Thread posts: 17
Thread images: 3

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.