[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

Australian laws/legislations

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 6
Thread images: 3

File: acc.jpg (32KB, 279x180px) Image search: [Google]
acc.jpg
32KB, 279x180px
which five Australian laws/Acts/legislations are most relevant to the financial services sector, and why? I'll start with the obvious - the privacy Act (so obvious it doesn't need explanation)
>>
>>1656656
The first two I'd argue are

The corporations act 2001
The partnership act

After that it gets pretty arguable for some or others though law isn't my strong suit
3rd would probably be the income tax act of 1997
Followed by your suggestion of the privacy act
Idk 5 could be any number of things
>>
>>1656656
Not really law but more of a guideline
But AASB is crucial to all forms of accounting so that's important too
>>
File: January 14, 1960.jpg (15KB, 350x350px) Image search: [Google]
January 14, 1960.jpg
15KB, 350x350px
> Reserve Bank Act 1959 - removed the central banking functions from the Commonwealth Bank. The Reserve Bank of Australia, on 14 January 1960, became the Australian central bank and banknote issuing authority.

Relevant because nobody knows the definition let alone differences between currency & money I guess, to banking industry and practices (obvious), and likewise to citizens, or to bankers seeking intelligence on breadth of knowledge that citizens have on the matter. Professional conduct obligation to inform clients on correct banking practices.

Unconsciousable conduct, bank runs, etc.

>Commercial Bank of Australia Ltd v Amadio
>Coat of Arms of Australia.svg
>Court High Court of Australia
>Full case name Commercial Bank of Australia Ltd v Amadio
>Decided 12 May 1983
>Citation(s) (1983) 151 CLR 447
>Court membership
>Judge(s) sitting Gibbs CJ, Mason, Wilson, Deane & Dawson JJ
>Commercial Bank of Australia Ltd v Amadio (1983) 151 CLR 447 is an Australian contract law and equity case, in which the legal issue of unconscionable dealing due to a lack of knowledge or education is examined and the implications as to the imbalance in bargaining power are considered.
>The case is a formative case for the defence of unconscionability and is studied under contract law in Australian law schools.[1]
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Commercial_Bank_of_Australia_Ltd_v_Amadio
>>
File: omerta_by_vhm_alex.jpg (241KB, 1280x800px) Image search: [Google]
omerta_by_vhm_alex.jpg
241KB, 1280x800px
>>1656745
Second, Property Rights
>6. Property Rights
>A common law right
>6.1 The common law has long regarded a person’s property rights as fundamental.
>William Blackstone said in 1773: ‘There is nothing which so generally strikes the
>imagination, and engages the affections of mankind, as the right of property.’1
https://www.alrc.gov.au/sites/default/files/pdfs/publications/ip46_ch_6._property_rights.pdf
https://www.alrc.gov.au/publications/common-law-and-private-property-0

Can go back further, Frederick Bastiat's The Law fluently describes the importance and adherence of law to property rights being the foundation of society & its conduct.

http://bastiat.org/en/the_law.html

Omerta, fellow man, third could be lawful private citizenship status, fourth could be anti slavery laws (particular international law that Australia is bound (?) by).
Fifth could be self defence via aggression from aggression laws, applied to a business context.

You could argue anything, I do.
>>
>>1656656
ASX Listing Rules and associated Guidance Notes.

The James Hardie series of litigation is also pretty important, as is Fortescue v ASIC.
Thread posts: 6
Thread images: 3

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.