[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

The Negative Caricature of Christianity in Japan

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 13
Thread images: 3

We all know that Christians managed to cause butthurt all across the world. However, what about the Japanese view of it throughout history?

I read shitty Japanese web novels a lot, and I noticed a significant number of Not-Christian devil sects as antagonists, who are trying to annihilate every spirits or deities except the Big Bad Boss (who these Not-Christian sect worships). Such caricatures seem prominent in Japanese popular culture. I remember that ever since Toyotomi Hideyoshi, the demonization and prejudices toward Christianity was even state-supported (one of them because of slavery). Do such ideas persist within the Japanese people's mind since the Sengoku era up to this day? In the form of popular arts?

I also vaguely remember Amakusa Shiroo portrayed as devil's spawn or something.
>>
Portuguese and Dutch traders used Christianity as a gateway to the country's trade goods and market. It was portrayed as an evil religion that tainted the land of the Buddha and the kami. Jesus was portrayed as a criminal who advocated the destruction of social norms. Quite a few Christians were executed early on. The early spread of Christianity was integral to Japan's closing off from the world until the 19th century.
>>
>>1655628
Like all chaos blame the fucking Protestants.

When the Dutch arrived they whispered slander that the Portuguese king had plans on invading Japan and make them bow to the Pope. They also offered their guns and cannons without needing nobles to be Christians like the proto-atheists they'd all become.
>>
>>1655662
If Japan were colonized, what type of colony would it be? Resource extraction and slave labors?
>>
>>1655683
Any European interested would probably have to conquer them like the British did India.

After that they'd probably rule it like India, using it to extract exotic resources.
>>
>>1655683
Considering that it was the Portuguese and Spanish, no, it would be wealthy nobles and merchants trading with wealthy nobles and merchants, enriching themselves off of a potential trade surplus while surrendering their products and raw materials to foreign merchants. I say "potential" surplus because these empires were more interested in trade than conquest, although conquest was a part of the establishment of fortified trading posts.
>>
File: Turnip-Head.gif (998KB, 500x688px) Image search: [Google]
Turnip-Head.gif
998KB, 500x688px
>>1655628
They're coming around.
>>
File: Jesu.gif (1022KB, 500x280px) Image search: [Google]
Jesu.gif
1022KB, 500x280px
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GrvVVreWE6w
>>
>>1655701
Nobody on this board reads fucking books, do they? You fucks only ever play video games.
>>
>>1655683
I'd say the more interesting scenario is what if the Japanese converted. Would they have just been sitting ducks for the Eternal Portuguese/Dutchman/Anglo, would they have kept their xenophobic streak and developed their own brand of Christianity or would they have been able to establish better ties with Europe and build themselves up to maybe (with European help) start making conquests on the mainland?
>>
>>1655683
Nothing in Japan worth the trouble.

conquest would have been a bitch and a half. nothing but a bunch of isolated city/farm areas, surrounded by heavily forested mountains.

they could use ships to take the coastal areas. though then the Japanese take back the weakest garrisoned cities.

go through the mountains and it is constant ambushes and slow movements.
>>
>>1655649
>The early spread of Christianity was integral to Japan's closing off from the world until the 19th century.

You got sauce on that senpai? Not doubting you, just want to learn more about the topic.
>>
>>1656210
Sakoku happened explicitly because the shogunate saw Christianity as being subversive and a way for Europeans to weasel themselves into undermining the country. This wasn't just a thought that started with the shogunate and went back to Hideyoshi and his executing a bunch of Christians. Ieyasu was more lenient but subsequent shoguns weren't and basically said "fuck you" to the missionaries and Europeans. They were a little more open with the Chinese and Koreans and after a point European trade became pointless because the Japanese were either able to produce what the Europeans offered or get it through China so what reason would they have to start accomodating Christianity?

Really go read The Making of Modern Japan b Marius B. Jansen. The chapter focused on sakoku goes into Christianity in Japan and such as well.
Thread posts: 13
Thread images: 3

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.