[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

How did ancient civilizations, that were so prosperous, end up

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 30
Thread images: 2

File: 1460997222527.jpg (664KB, 2048x1367px) Image search: [Google]
1460997222527.jpg
664KB, 2048x1367px
Greece was once considered one of the greatest civilizations around. They produced amazing literature and had some of the most revered philosophers of all time. Then they had a downfall that they never really recovered from, and now in current day it is in economic chaos and is no longer even close to a frontrunner in terms of how advanced it is as a society. I wonder the same thing regarding Egypt as well.

Same goes for the civilizations under the Islamic golden age. They were very advanced and deeply valued science and knowledge. Now, many of these places are in constant war with eschother, some have not advanced at all and some of the countries that were under this golden age can even be seen as backwards and stuck in the past.

Why is it that these once prosperous civilizations that produced such amazing thinkers, ideas, and technology, are today, so far behind?
>>
>>1654341
In reference to Greece, after the death of Alexander they couldn't really sustain such a vast army and the money coming in from the east had been very limited, which pretty much laid the foundations for them to get BTFO'd by Rome later on. Greece over the course of history has been raped several times and never really got to pick itself back up, I'd say the same for Persia. It's a shame that so many of the civilizations of the past have been inherited by incompetent and corrupt leaders. Pre-Islam, the middle east and south Asia were the places to be. The richest parts of the world, vibrant and colorful with immense amounts of wealth and disciplined armies. Greece was on par with Persia (obviously not in terms of land capacity). It hurts desu. It really does.
>>
>>1654372
>Pre-Islam, the middle east and south Asia were the places to be.
Post-Islam was pretty good too for a while, with thinkers like Avicenna, Biruni, Khwarizmi, ibn al-Nafs, al-Razi, et al
>>
>>1654341

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OTSQozWP-rM
>>
>>1654396
That seems like some right wing propaganda to me. He didn't even talk about Ancient Greece or Rome. Just a hypothetical American fall in the future. This is just nonsense.
>>
File: epic-douchebag-styles19.jpg (81KB, 640x346px) Image search: [Google]
epic-douchebag-styles19.jpg
81KB, 640x346px
I think Italy is even sadder. Literally made culture take its biggest leap in history... and nowadays, they just crash cruises and steal from tourists to do a shitty job at taking care of their own history.
>>
>>1654388
What was it that caused its downfall? That golden age period of time seems so different to how they are now.
>>
>>1654434
>Literally made culture take its biggest leap in history...
What makes you say that?
>>
>>1654434
Doesn't really surprise me after becoming a NATO (American) puppet.

Supercapitalism, not even once.
>>
>>1654439
Back then there wasn't a giant terrorist state that shilled for Wahabism aka the cancer of Islam. There was still rational thought and the political undertone of the shariah was interpreted to fit what we'd probably call proto liberal values. The Mongols fucked everything up though.
>>
>>1654463
Did the mongols fuck them up more so than the west did back then?
>>
Fuck's sake.

Reading Spengler should be mandatory before posting here.
>>
>>1654439
Well what caused the arab golden age to fall is the Mongols sacking Baghdad. But even still you have to remember that time and power are not a constant. Who is strong today may become weak tomorrow. I mean when Greece, Rome, and Persia were at their height northern europe england france were shitholes. And now it's the opposite. Eventually England, France, America will fall and someone else will become top dog. It's the way the world works it's a circle.
>>
RACE-MIXING

End thread.
>>
>>1654470
Back then it was straight up war instead of trying to Jew about with various proxy organisation to benefit your cause. So yeah I'd say the steppe niggers fucked them up worse than the west, but even then the ottomans got it back on lock. Nowadays there's no way to know what the fuck is going to happen in the MENA region.
>>
>>1654439
A ton of things. Frequent power shifts caused by Mongols, Turks, and very fragile dynasties which relied on tribal influence (Qizilbashis, Mamluks) especially in the hugely ethnically/culturally diverse Middle East; increased sectarianism and radicalism by fellas like Ghazali, ibn Taymiyya; all the way up to finally putting the nail in the coffin by rendering the benefits of the Silk Road null and void by the discovery of Murrica.

To blame it on any one thing is disingenuous.
>>
>>1654481
Make greece and Asia great again when
>>
2000 years of history you idiot.
>>
>>1654470
It's partly the Arabs' fault for having so little "industriualized" cities, Baghdad being one of them but the Mongols didn't destroy everything for shits and giggles, they were let in by Shiite high rankings because they felt mistreated and in fact they let Shi'a scholars keep their work, it was nonetheless a huge blow.
However after having adopted Islam, the Mongols were seen as deviating from the true form of the religion by certain scholars notably Ibn Tayymia still quoted by groups like ISIS today, puritan thought isnt new in Islam
>>
>>1654498
Well Asia is on it's way to becoming on top again just look at China, and Japan. If America ever falls China would probably be the next world power like they were in the past.
>>
>>1654473
Why the hostility? Not everyone who comes here has had a decent education--some end up not learning much about history or philosophy at all.

If someone is curious and has a question, and you think that Spengler would be helpful for them to understand things better, then just suggest it and maybe give them some reasons as to why you are suggesting it and think it might help. They would be far more receptive if you approached it in that manner instead of just rejecting someone who is seeking knowledge.
>>
>>1654514
>>1654497
What about the Greeks? I know the Romans played a huge part, but what else contributed to their downfall?
>>
>>1654560
They burnt out after alexander
>>
>>1654449
Roman Empire, but most importantly, Rennaissance mate
>>
>>1654434
to be fair Italy was able to reinvent itself after the fall of the WRE and still manage to be a very important player in the history of the west until pretty much the modern period
>>
>>1654772
5th century-ruled by Goths
6th century-Ruled by Byzantium and Lombards
7th century-Muslim Raids
8th and 9th century-Ruled by HRE
10th century-Normans
12th-19th-Faught over and ruled by France or HRE, Spain and/or Austria
>>
>>1654805
your point? being under the influence of foreign powers doesn't exclude you from being influential, and in any case Italian city states eventually acquired lots of indipendency.
>>
>>1654819
>your point?
Its pretty obvious the only importance italy had after the fall of Romes was as a toy in the prison that was the dark ages
>>
>>1654836
in the dark ages as in fall of the WRE to Carolingian renaissance, sure, but after that Italy was still fairly important for western culture, even if politically divided and not totally independent.
>>
>>1654341
It's almost as though the people living on a piece of land thousands of years ago aren't the same as the people living there now, and that nations change constantly over time and are ultimately a political construct. Really makes you think...
Thread posts: 30
Thread images: 2

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.