[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

What is your favorite historic book that you own or have read?

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 44
Thread images: 5

File: image.jpg (132KB, 500x369px) Image search: [Google]
image.jpg
132KB, 500x369px
What is your favorite historic book that you own or have read?
>>
>>1653868
The Prince by Machiavelli.
>>
>>1653868
Admiral Horthy's memoirs. It's a window into a long-dead era, and an important source of information for a part of the war that's largely ignored in the west.
>>
Plutarch Parralel Lives
>>
Do you mean a historical book or a book about history?
>>
>>1654090
Book from history or about history
>>
The Prince! It's the only one I've read unless you count the art of war
>>
>>1654072
That's a good one. Suetonius' twelve Caesars for me.
>>
>>1653868
Don Quixote. Literally the best story ever.
>>
>>1653868
Gibbon, The Decline and Fall of the Roman Empire, and
The Ciano Diaries.
>>
The Betrothed
>>
Comunidades campesinas. Cambios y permanencias, by Flores Galindo. In particular the article wrote by Trelles.

Colonial history.
>>
>>1655570
>try to find Gibbon in uni's library
>it's only available on request and can't be loaned
fugg
>>
>>1653868
Gods and Generals
Historical fiction about the Civil War
>>
>>1653868
Luttwak's Coup d'Etat. Short, simple, solid.

>>1654029
>Admiral Horthy's memoirs
Got a link to an english translation?
>>
>>1655765
Tfw found Gibbons decline and fall of the Roman Empire and Twelve Caesars for $4 total at a secondhand book store
>>
>>1653868
The Bible.
>>
>>1656176
If you're talking about Holy Bible...how do you get part the genealogy? Is it important?
>>
File: 9780520268180.jpg (329KB, 667x1000px) Image search: [Google]
9780520268180.jpg
329KB, 667x1000px
Europe and the People Without History by Eric R. Wolf. Best overall history of Western capitalism/trade/imperialism I've read
>>
File: Horthy.jpg (81KB, 740x548px) Image search: [Google]
Horthy.jpg
81KB, 740x548px
>>1655815
Yes, actually.

>http://www.hungarianhistory.com/lib/horthy/horthy.pdf

I have a hardback copy of the original 1957 English printing, but if you want your own bound copy they're like $25 on Amazon.

The stuff he wrote about his experiences in the 19th Century Austro-Hungarian navy are incredible. I don't know of any other primary sources in English about that stuff.
>>
GG&S, it's like my bible.
>>
>>1653868
http://vztimg.exent.com/Prem/products/330450/manual.pdf
>>
File: 1463914420230-v.jpg (375KB, 1000x1200px) Image search: [Google]
1463914420230-v.jpg
375KB, 1000x1200px
Romance of the Three Kingdoms

#TeamShu
>>
>>1653981
>>1655315
>reading work by a materialist utilitarian modern

>>1655570
>>1655819
>Reading a book about Roman history by a Whig faggot who was high on 'Muh
Enlightenment'

>>1656176
Better fucking be the KJV
>>
>>1656372
KJV...thou art a cunt.
>>
>>1655819
same here, bought it cheap a few days ago

it's the annotated butthurt priest version as well
>>
I always loved Herodotus. The way he jumps around between things in digressions really appeals to me for some reason.
>>
>>1656634
There's no point reading the Decline and Fall without the 'footnotes'. It has since been surpassed as an actual history. It even uses sources that have been completely debunked as false like "Ossian".
>>
>>1656208
Noice.
>>
>>1653868
livy early history of rome
>>
The Black Book of Communism.
>>
>>1656372
>KJV
ISHYGDDT
>>
Inside the Third Reich so far
Historica books i've only read that, and some books concerning the Seven Years War and the Thirty Years' War
>>
>>1653868
Our Oriental Heritage
>>
Of Spies and Stratagems was pretty interesting
>>
I just bought a copy of the knife man: blood, body snatching, and the birth of modern surgery, hasn't been delivered yet but I'm so excited.
>>
Rape of Nanking affected me deeply. Dad that the author committed suicide soon after publishing it because of the harassment she received.
>>
>>1653868
Hobsbawm's "Age of Extremes: The Short Twentieth Century".

It had a level of insight and detail about the early Soviet Union that has been unmatched anywhere else. He uses statistics of various economic metrics to show why the Soviet economy for a time during the depression was seen as a possible alternative and why its economy boomed so much early. He also went into detail on how it floundered and collapsed later. A very revealing and eye opening read just for that subject.
>>
war and peace
>>
Madness and Civilisation
>>
>>1653868
The History of the Peloponnesian War by Thucydides.
>>
File: 1434322594676.gif (1MB, 300x313px) Image search: [Google]
1434322594676.gif
1MB, 300x313px
>>1653868
Herodotus' Histories.
>that part when the Persians invade the Scythian lands
>the Persian emperor's counsellors advise him not to invade the Scythian lands, since Scythians are nomadic horsemen and there wasn't a single city worth conquering north of present day Kazakhstan-Ukraine
>the Persian emperor gives a fuck and marches with a million men (Herodotus) north of the Caspian sea/Black sea region
>during the duration of the war, the bulk of the Scythian tribes just limit to resettle everyday, camping a marching day distance from the Persian army
>finally, the Scythians amass for a great battle against the Persians
>when the Scythians are about to charge against the Persian ranks with their horseme army, a hare appears out of nowhere, in the middle of the battlefield
>the Scythian tribesmen prefer to chase the hare instead of clashing the Persians in the decissive battle
>then, the Persian emperor is humiliated and says, "Fuck this shit, we are returning to Persia".
Beautiful.
>>
>>1669824
Bookmarked
>>
>>1653868
US Grant's memoir. I really didn't expect to find the book so affecting.
Thread posts: 44
Thread images: 5

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.