[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

Byzantine practice of Facial Mutilation

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 14
Thread images: 5

File: 1468619319524.jpg (151KB, 634x855px) Image search: [Google]
1468619319524.jpg
151KB, 634x855px
I don't get the reasoning behind the blinding/facial mutilation performed on pretenders to the Byzantine throne. I know that - according to them - the Emperor was supposed to reflect God's order on Earth, and as such, the Emperor had to be someone who was 'whole' and 'unblemished'. But how does that reasoning not extend to ugly people, as well? After all, if the Emperor is the reflection of Heaven's will on Earth, he should look the part, no?

But yet, we have accounts of extremely ugly - physically unappealing - Byzantine Emperors, such as John II Komnenos, who was described as "short and unusually ugly, with eyes, hair and complexion so dark he was known as 'the Moor."

I just don't understand how one can reconcile this.
>>
File: 1459919449529.jpg (50KB, 494x583px) Image search: [Google]
1459919449529.jpg
50KB, 494x583px
>>1645035
>born ugly
"That's how God made him"
>mutilated in life
"He was too weak to prevent his face from being blemished, and now his face will always show how unfit to rule he is"

That's all I got beyond them being hypocritical and illogical.
>>
File: barabf.png (853KB, 601x601px) Image search: [Google]
barabf.png
853KB, 601x601px
>>1645062
>He was too weak to prevent his face from being blemished, and now his face will always show how unfit to rule he is"

But tons of pretenders were blinded/mutilated when they were children. It is illogical, though
>>
>>1645035
>the Emperor had to be someone who was 'whole' and 'unblemished'

Because 'whole' and 'unblemished' stops at physical mutilation, and doesn't otherwise cover ugliness
>>
File: tumblr_ng8bhuuVMy1swo4lto1_1280.jpg (225KB, 1000x1334px) Image search: [Google]
tumblr_ng8bhuuVMy1swo4lto1_1280.jpg
225KB, 1000x1334px
>>1645035
>John II Komnenos
>>
>>1645280
Also:
>John II Komnenos or Comnenus (Greek: Ίωάννης Βʹ Κομνηνός, Iōannēs II Komnēnos; September 13, 1087 – 8 April 1143) was Byzantine Emperor from 1118 to 1143. Also known as "John the Beautiful" or "John the Good" (Kaloïōannēs)
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/John_II_Komnenos
>>
How were they mutilated? I've never heard of this.
>>
File: 1471606436446.png (264KB, 487x726px) Image search: [Google]
1471606436446.png
264KB, 487x726px
>>1645417
Nose was usually cut off. I forget which emperor was deposed, lost his nose, but returned. It effectively put lie to the notion.
The Romans copied lots of stupid things from the east, and this was the 2nd most stupid.
>>
>>1645426
>Nose was usually cut off
bs
>>
>>1645703
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Justinian_II
he was why they started blinding claimants instead of just fucking with their face
>>
>>1645710
Oh I thought you were claiming they fucked their own shit up on purpose.

The mutilation of political rivals by the emperor was deemed an effective way of side-lining from the line of succession a person who was seen as a threat. Castrated men were not seen as a threat, as no matter how much power they gained they could never take the throne, and numerous eunuchs were entrusted with high and confidential offices in the Byzantine court and administration. In Byzantine culture, the emperor was a reflection of heavenly authority. Since God was perfect, the emperor also had to be unblemished; any mutilation, especially facial wounds, would disqualify an individual from taking the throne.[3] An exception was Justinian II (ὁ Ῥινότμητος, "the slit-nosed"), who had his nose cut off (Greek - rhinokopia) when he was overthrown in 695 but was able to become emperor again, in 705.[4]
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Political_mutilation_in_Byzantine_culture#Rationale
>>
>>1645856
justinian wore a golden nose prosthetic
>>
>>1645280
BYZANTINED!
>>
>>1645035
>I don't get the reasoning behind the blinding/facial mutilation performed on pretenders to the Byzantine throne.

That was actually a leftover of ancient Greco-Roman belief that human body must be left intact. The very same belief that led early Christianity to abandon circumcision.

Basically, a disfigured person was incapable of express the rights of a citizen and free man. Thus he was barred from holding any public office.
Thread posts: 14
Thread images: 5

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.