[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

Black Americans and Islam

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 7
Thread images: 4

File: arabicText2.jpg (57KB, 453x327px) Image search: [Google]
arabicText2.jpg
57KB, 453x327px
Thread is now archived but I want to further the conversation and will post it here for those interested.

>>1639335
Almost 1/3rd of Africans enslaved in the US came from Islamic and Islamic influenced regions of west Africa.

We know that some people's such as Bilali Mohammed enslaved in Sapelo Island Georgia around 1802 kept 13 pages of Islamic writings he himself wrote (pic related)

Muhammad Yaro who was a landowner, lender to merchants and a stockholder was a literate and fluent speaker in Arabic, Fulani and English was enslaved in the mid 1700's and kept faith praying east on his property

Abdul-Rahman Ibrahim ibn Sori was a prince who was eventually freed after his Arabic letter was sent to the royal Moroccan family. Eventually freed with some of his children he was sent to Sierra Leone before dying shortly after.

Many old slave songs and Negro spirituals maintain a stunning semblance to Muslim calls to prayer, in fact "Ring Shouts" a term to denote a style of singing and coming together derives from the Arabic shawṭ denoting the single circular run around the Kaaba.

In the sea islands all church's of slaves faced east towards mecca and even in my own family who were Christians and ate pork they speak of hanging the pigs they slaughtered to rid it's body of blood which they deemed was unclean. The had Gris-gris amulets derived from senegambian Muslims that originally contained verses from the Quran and "magical" substances before turning into Bible verses and substances

For many black Americans, Islam and specifically the vestiges of west African Islam was a draw to the faith from the 40's and beyond. The various groups that formed provided a vital voice that called for self determination and self sufficiency. It was a returning of sorts away from the Christian faith that enslaved them because contrary to 4chan belief Islam was not forced on West Africans for quite some time it was mostly a faith brought by trade.
>>
>>1644592
Thats actually quite interesting anon
>>
File: 250px-Ibn_Sori.jpg (21KB, 250x302px) Image search: [Google]
250px-Ibn_Sori.jpg
21KB, 250x302px
>>1644614

Here is a drawing of ibn Sori
>>
File: 2011-87-1-pma.jpg (195KB, 1248x1500px) Image search: [Google]
2011-87-1-pma.jpg
195KB, 1248x1500px
>>1644630
A painting of Yaro
>>
>>1644592

the Nation of Islam was around in the 20s with red scare

islamic post colonial movements were backed by USSR or related ideology, which emboldened factory workers

civil rights worked with them as women rights in labor allied with black labor movements
>>
>>1644646
Well certainly those things are connected to the growth of Islam but the draw I feel came from a recognition of Islamic "ghost" practices that remained in black American culture. I'm not saying that there was some unbroken chain of slave Islam.

The only nation that can claim that is Brazil's black community and it faded around 1960.
>>
File: note.jpg (102KB, 600x691px) Image search: [Google]
note.jpg
102KB, 600x691px
Thread posts: 7
Thread images: 4

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.