[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

Was he right?

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 11
Thread images: 1

File: julius.jpg (5KB, 136x185px) Image search: [Google]
julius.jpg
5KB, 136x185px
Do you think he did the right thing kicking off a civil war?
>>
I think he should have looked at Scipio and strived to instil a sense of honour to the glory of Rome in all soldiers and citizens alike and vow devotion above any general, sum of money or personal gain.
I also find it hard to believe he couldn't see/prevent himself being stabbed a hundred times on the senate floor.
Yourself OP?
>>
The republic was corrupt and the senate beyond saving.
>>
>>1642145
Then (as Scipio would have done I'm sure) do what was necessary to restore it to unparalleled virtues, and then stand down.
>>
>>1642145
same thing happened in socratic greece at that time except their caesar (socrate) was sanctioned to demicide (kayfabe)
>>
>>1642171
Yes I'm aware, there will always be others driven by personal gain. I guess you can only set the example. If this is your thread feel free to elaborate.
>>
>>1642089
>Was he right?
At that point, the damage had already been done anyway. Pompey had been controlling the senate through force of arms for decades already.
Might as well go get his.
>>
>>1642196
Yeah well. He sure GOT his in the end.
When you leave legacies out of the argument.
>>
>>1642089
athenian ecclesia = roman senate
>>
>>1642089
The right thing for himself, but not necessarily Rome.
It was his only politically viable choice, if he agreed to disarmament, then he would have faced execution for the slew of crimes he committed during his consulship.

In terms of Rome as an Empire over a Republic, arguably some of his senatorial decisions, such as his decision to expand the senate to include vassals of Rome, allowed the structure of citizenship and imperial inclusion that kept Rome together through its worst times.
>>
>>1642297
No, the senate was the boule equivalent. The ecclesia was the concilium plebis.
Thread posts: 11
Thread images: 1

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.