[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

Did the Romans do more harm than good to the ancient known world?

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 19
Thread images: 3

Did the Romans do more harm than good to the ancient known world?
>>
>>1637856
Yes, they should have killed all the Jews and given the Samaritans their land
>>
>>1637856
How can one little city state achieve this? This is so unreal.
>>
Definitely not
Unless you blame the empire for falling, which is kinda stupid

But to me their most important contribution is giving the West the Pax Romana to show them how an empire is supposed to be run in its middle stages, not to mention Diocletian and Theodosius saving the empire by dividing it, which may have prevented parts of Europe from being conquered before the Franks, Saxons, Visigoths and Poles got their shit together and created monarchies that could defend themselves.
>>
>>1637864
pilae

no but seriously military discipline, career armies, and the fact that it took 400+ years to put together helped. Also, Roman mid-level bureaucracy was surprisingly effective.
>>
>>1637856
More good by far. The Roman Empire became the vessel of Christianity.
>>
The empire did far more good than harm
>>
What if Carthage won?
>>
>>1637911
We'd all be wearing Phrygian caps and speaking Phoenician-derived languages, I ween.
>>
>>1637911
Then we'd all be blacks living on space ships powered by cocaine and magic
>>
>>1637911
we could see what celtic culture was like.
>>
>>1637864
>How can one little city state achieve this?
It's not like it happened in a day.
The small city state conquered its surrounding region.
The medium sized regional power conquered its peninsula.
The bigass republic (Italy was about as populated as any other big empire on the Mediterranean if not more) conquered its continent.
>>
>>1637923
But phrygians were indoeuropean anatolians. Why would Carthage's victory spread their caps?
>>
>>1638089
It's now an occultist Mason symbol. See the US Army emblem.
>>
>>1638098
It's a mason symbol because the romans adopted it as an emblem of freedom (freedmen wore it).
I don't see the carthaginian connection.
>>
File: 1471450004556.jpg (38KB, 550x404px) Image search: [Google]
1471450004556.jpg
38KB, 550x404px
>>1638018
Nobody cares about the Celts mate. Im glad they got genocided
>>
This is a dumb question, Rome was undoubtedly a positive force. They gave us so many things, and were about as peaceful as an empire can be. The only negative thing I can think of is slavery, and everyone was doing that back then.
>>
They brought uncivilization to Europe. If not for Rome, the Germanic parts of Europe would still be full of illiterate savages hundreds of years later.
>>
File: maxresdefault.jpg (63KB, 1280x720px) Image search: [Google]
maxresdefault.jpg
63KB, 1280x720px
>Obligatory what have the Romans ever done for us?
Thread posts: 19
Thread images: 3

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.