[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

how did chariot warfare work?

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 30
Thread images: 5

File: 220px-Hittite_Chariot.jpg (8KB, 220x133px) Image search: [Google]
220px-Hittite_Chariot.jpg
8KB, 220x133px
how did chariot warfare work?
>>
It's a mobile platform from which you can shoot arrows and throw javelins, one drives, the other killls.
>>
>>1636577
>stand on chariot
>throw javelins/shoot bow
>enemy comes close, run away

or

>ride chariot to battle
>get off and fight on foot like a normal person
>shit gets too scary jump back on and run away
>>
>>1636577
>so what do you do masturbanipal?
>...
>...
>I ride
>>
>>1636577

They fired rockets and then went back to camp to reload.
>>
>>1636680
underrated
>>
>>1636627
This

>>1636680
Kek
>>
>>1636577

Literally drive-by shootings. Get a single file line of chariots throwing spears at the enemy as they go past.
>>
>>1636741
I feel like they'd just throw some back at you.
>>
>>1636752
Nobody ever said it was a very good tactic
>>
>>1636577
Here's what Caesar wrote on Britonnic chariot warfare:

Their mode of fighting with their chariots is this: firstly, they drive about in all directions and throw their weapons and generally break the ranks of the enemy with the very dread of their horses and the noise of their wheels; and when they have worked themselves in between the troops of horse, leap from their chariots and engage on foot. The charioteers in the meantime withdraw some little distance from the battle, and so place themselves with the chariots that, if their masters are overpowered by the number of the enemy, they may have a ready retreat to their own troops. Thus they display in battle the speed of horse, [together with] the firmness of infantry; and by daily practice and exercise attain to such expertness that they are accustomed, even on a declining and steep place, to check their horses at full speed, and manage and turn them in an instant and run along the pole, and stand on the yoke, and thence betake themselves with the greatest celerity to their chariots again.
>>
>>1636680
>>1636708
>>1636725
plz explain, who is masturbanipal
>>
>>1636752
>I feel like they'd just throw some back at you

Of course. But, as with all cavalry, the advantage lies in choosing who, where, and when to attack. Maybe you attack the guys who don't have missiles. Or as they are trying to move, or from the flank, etc.
>>
>>1636577
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=B-TCIamyYCo
>>
>>1637131
The ultimate numale old fucking retard
>>
>>1636577
how would you use a car in ancient warfare?
>>
File: Alexander's mousetrap.png (14KB, 418x348px) Image search: [Google]
Alexander's mousetrap.png
14KB, 418x348px
>>1636577
The Persians liked to use them to create massive gaps and holes inside of infantry formations. They included things like scythes and blades on the chariot's wheels and body.

This worked great against most enemies... but the Macedonians figured out a way to counter them. They allowed the chariots in several ranks within their phalanxes. The horses collided with the long pikes.

This either catapulted the chariot behind them forward into more waiting pikes, or caused them to try and turn. The Macedonian phalangites would take down the driver, any soldiers on board, and the horses.

They called this the Mousetrap
>>
>>1637691

With great difficulty, owing to the lack of fuel and paved roads.
>>
File: REMOVE KOSHER FROM THE PREMISES..jpg (333KB, 1500x1132px) Image search: [Google]
REMOVE KOSHER FROM THE PREMISES..jpg
333KB, 1500x1132px
>>1636680
Na, he would still say "I drive."

"Drive" literally is one of the ways old use of words stuck to modern usage. Drive means literally to "direct a bunch of animals/individuals to a certain direction." Like, say, a coachman, or a Chariot Driver.

Technically, you operate an automobile.
Ride on horseback
And drive a team of draft horses.
>>
>>1637719
you can just strap it to a bunch if horses m8
>>
File: running_with_scissors.jpg (96KB, 600x390px) Image search: [Google]
running_with_scissors.jpg
96KB, 600x390px
Dude scythed chariot lmao
>>
>>1637691

Is it blue and white and shoots pebbles?
>>
>>1637723
How much horsepower do you think that baby has?
>>
>>1639464

Looks like 2 to me.
>>
>>1637691
Like this.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZOJCmPKaYN8
>>
File: 40kek.jpg (658KB, 1560x1059px) Image search: [Google]
40kek.jpg
658KB, 1560x1059px
>>1636680
>>
>>1639457
Ancient warfare
So it is probably black and the driver has an RPG launcher.
>>
>>1639431
>hit someone on one side
>chariot spins out of control or that side breaks off
What stopped this from happening?
>>
>>1637715

>this kills the chariot
>>
>>1639469
Less than two considering the horses were more like ponies.
Thread posts: 30
Thread images: 5

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.