[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

Europe was great before christianity. Europe was great after

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 20
Thread images: 2

File: key.jpg (98KB, 640x640px) Image search: [Google]
key.jpg
98KB, 640x640px
Europe was great before christianity. Europe was great after christianity, when the renaissance replaced christian values with pagan values.

While christianity was dominant in that middle period however, Europe was at a low point of its existence. This is an undeniable fact.

Semantic debates about what to call the period, and evidence that it wasn't all bad, does not change the simple fact that it was the nadir of European civilisation.

In fact there have been no successful christian nations in terms of accomplishments, artistic, technological, financial, or otherwise. islam, at least, had a golden age.
>>
>What is the 12th century renaissance
It was the start of the renaissance cut short by the plague

Medieval Europe was a comparative backwater to the rest of the world yes but you can't blame Christianity, blame the fall of Rome.
>>
The Renaissance was heavily funded by religion. Also it's opening work is often considered the Divine Comedy.

I think your are mistaking rampant clerical corruption (something that was going on long, long before the Renaissance) with some change in values. Massive upheaval of values didn't occur until the Reformation.
>>
>>1631478
>Europe was great before christianity.
You mean that empire that had 1/3 of its landmass in Africa and 1/3 in Asia? Or the Greeks where every second important philosopher or sage came from Ionia in Asia Minor.
>>
>>1631503
It was also stunted by Christianity, so much that we had to wait 200 more years for the industrial revolution to take off in England when it could have been in Italy if not for Catholic persecution.
>>
>>1631518
The industrial revolution needed not agricultural labor. The main thing that facilitated this was enclosure, which was largely a post-Reformation concern, because it wasn't until then that most farmers were freemen. Enclosure took away the land from the free farmers, forcing them to work urban jobs. None of this has anything to do with religion.
>>
>>1631478
>le dark ages caused by christianity meme
kill yourself
>>
>>1631529
Sorry that's wrong. Renaissance Italy was full of freemen, had a large urban population, but no industrial revolution took off, despite the massive hotbed of ideas and invention. It was simply prevented by the suffocating Catholic church, but was encouraged and allowed in the more free Protestant England. People moved to work in urban jobs because there were urban jobs created by the huge new factories, the peoples movement didn't create the factories and revolution like you suggest, it was the other way around.
>>
>>1631478
Western Europe was already a Drain on The Eastern Empire by 200's
>>
>>1631592
The industrial revolution would probably not have been possible in England without enclosure.

Italy didn't really have a lot of common land, so enclosure wasn't required to push people off it.

I don't see how the Catholic Church stymied innovation of technology in Italy, can you elaborate?
>>
The US became hotly Christain in the 1800s or so and continued to be hotly Christain until the 1970s, and was still strongly Christain until the 2000s.

From 1940 to the present the US had been the leader in pretty much everything on the global stage. Even if our public school suck we still turn out more research papers, degrees, inventions and material than anyone else does.
I mean, our rise and our now faltering pace has basically nothing to do with religion, but when we were strongest we were also the most religious. Kind of hard to agree with you when that's a whole thing and a chicken wing.
>>
>>1631478
> Europe was at a low point of its existence
This only applies to the stupid westerners.
>>
>>1631518
Actually, the stunt of growth was caused by Protestantism and Renaissance thinkers that wanked all things Ancient, while completely disregarding achievements reached in Medieval times.
>Math advancements had to be rediscovered, because they were disregarded due to being made by Medieval people
>Cysterian monks, responsible for improving metallurgy, including Blast Furnace, had their lands and Monasteries in England taken and sold by English King
In fact, Renaissance and Protestantism is much more responsible for slowing down progress than Christianity.
>>
>>1631478
Tattoos, fucking dropped
>>
>>1631478
Looks like damaged goods to me.
>>
File: XfWypdd.gif (2MB, 312x250px) Image search: [Google]
XfWypdd.gif
2MB, 312x250px
>>1633331
>>1633403
t. redpilled gentlemen
>>
>>1633417
'sup redpilled gentleman
>>
>>1633417
No anon, you don;t understand.

I've dated enough chicks to tell which ones are crazy and which ones aren't.
>>
>>1631478
It was actually pretty decent from the 12th century onward. Also Byzantium was a successful Christian civilization throughout the 'dark ages'
>>
>>1631478
>it's a fact because I said so
Fuck off Dark Ages shill
Thread posts: 20
Thread images: 2

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.