[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

FREEDOM OF SPEECH

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 17
Thread images: 3

File: 1423986622443.jpg (270KB, 667x862px) Image search: [Google]
1423986622443.jpg
270KB, 667x862px
im doing a speech on the freedom of speech and the right to offend.
can you guys give examples of any scientists or philosopher or anyone at all who have been suppressed or killed by a larger authority of some sort?
>>
Hypatia
>>
Freedom of speech is about expressing dissenting opinions and arguing for them, not just being obnoxious for its own sake.
>>
kill yourself edgelord
>>
>>1630695

let's recall that the fantasy in humanist societies is the free thinker.
this liberal uberman is a man corresponds to the fantasy of a man being ''altruistic (for more than a few moments) while being hedonistic''.
Indeed, as in any doctrine, there are people who despise hedonism and think they are less hedonistic than they presently are.
These liberal speak of the motto ''liberalism is not about hedonism''.

The best activity of the occidental humanist is to design a structure which would ''change people from animals/hedonists to rational people who act for, who embrace, in a disinterested manner, the Human Rights''
The national education begins here with the faith that people, if educated to love the HR, will embrace the HR at the end of school.
Now, after a few decades if not centuries of this, this structure still fails. In fact, the failure leads people to still ''try to change the system''.

This fantasy of having a structure to change people dates back from thousands of year. So far, no structure is able to make people control if not ''eradicate the desires with evil consequences (wrt to the HR)''.
>>
>>1630695
Hate speech is not free speech.
>>
>>1630695
Id love the freedom to incite a lynch mob into murdering you for any number of fabricated reasons but sadly freedom of speech doesnt work that way.
>>
>>1630708
While there should be a line between harassment and freedom of speech, many people get offended about shit that isn't directed to them. Consider films for example. In a free country people have the right to create whatever they want if in the process of creating it they aren't doing anything illegal, and if someone makes a really controversial movie, I think censorship or penalisation is stupid because at the end it's really the everyone's choice if they see it or not. It's then really shitty for australians.

That is really different from someone yelling NIGGER to someone on the street because they also have a right to bot listen to you. But if the same guy has a book on white supremacy then he isn't forcing anyone into reading it.
>>
File: 1470385684876.jpg (159KB, 840x623px) Image search: [Google]
1470385684876.jpg
159KB, 840x623px
>>1630757
You should be free to hate someone and everything they stand for and if your brave enough confront the issue.

By that i'll pose a question: would you rather know someone hated you or that they prtend to like you when they really hate you and because you denied there ability to naturally make there opinion known they act in a subversive manner to destroy you.

Me personly? I like seeing my enemies in the light of day, old chum.
>>
>>1630695
Giordano Bruno
>>
>>1631014
>someone doesn't like you
>that means they are trying to destroy you

I'm not sure how someone could come to this conclusion.
>>
Related. Try to get the full debate too.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BtWrljX9HRA
>>
>>1630695
Socrates
Galileo
>>
File: 1471361029448.jpg (542KB, 1248x1853px) Image search: [Google]
1471361029448.jpg
542KB, 1248x1853px
>>1631043
depends how deep the hatred is. I've known people I wouldnt mind hurting and even one scumbag i wouldnt have minded killing. Hate is a strong emotion but in a lot of ways it keeps you going in life (well, maybe thats me projecting but im pretty sure hate in all its forms in some ways dictates our desiisions in lots of things.)

>>1630800
Not the guy your talking to but id like to chip in if i may. I agree with alot of what you said but yelling NIGGER at a guy is understandable if in the right context. For example if you had some beef with a black guy and say he wronged you deeply, like as you were walking past and tried to rob you but you fought him off and as he runs away you yell the above word in his direction as a means of venting your frustration at this sour encounter, its justifiable. The society around you should not see the victim of a potential crime as a bad guy because he said an offensive word. Thats the problem of modern times.

Id like to add that if you yell NIGGER just because you see a black person, like its a point of observation, you'd be a massive retard. Not like you need to alert me of what this thing walking in the street is.
>>
>>1631043
Whosoever has a problem with so-called "hate speech" appears to live under such condition
>>
>>1631115

Hi, same guy of these posts
>>1631014
>>1631104

Can i just say that what you said was incorrect and pretentious.

I have a problem with hate speech mainly because the notion isnt used for any good but as another tool of the state to control people, this one being worse because its trying to control there minds.
>>
>>1631040
>Giordano Bruno
http://thefederalist.com/2014/03/13/five-things-neil-degrasse-tysons-cosmos-gets-wrong/
Point 4. Not going to say his freedom of speech wasn't suppressed, but the view we're often presented with of Bruno is quite different from the reality and often serves a specific agenda.
Thread posts: 17
Thread images: 3

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.