[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

What do you reckon was the greatest Ancient Historical victory

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 23
Thread images: 3

File: hqdefault-3.jpg (15KB, 480x360px) Image search: [Google]
hqdefault-3.jpg
15KB, 480x360px
I'm going to say the Battle of Cannae was fucking brutal.
>>
spartans vs persians round 1
meme'd itself into history
>>
Siege

of

Syracuse
>>
What do you mean by greatest? Most deadly? Most decisive? For decisive I'd say Watling street. Deadly i wouldnt know lmao
>>
Granicus or Issus
>>
Why is this board filled with normies that only watch documentaries?
>>
>>1630028
Grace us with your knowledge fuccboi
>>
>>1630036
My dick is bigger than yours.
>>
>>1629805
Cannae was too brutal. Carthaginians fucked up by cucking the Romans so hard.

Why do you think Rome worked their asses off to find a reason to go to war a third time? Beating Hannibal wasn't enough, they wanted to avenge the memory of Cannae by utterly wiping Carthage out forever.
>>
>>1630042
Or just because the senators wanted loot. And thats what they got. They also got a Tiberius Gracchus restoring the rights of the people.
>>
File: pepe.png (660KB, 1106x1012px) Image search: [Google]
pepe.png
660KB, 1106x1012px
>Win
>Lose

Was Hannibal retarded?
>>
>>1630059
It was a lot deeper than just loot, though obviously that played a part as it does in every war.

If you'd like to know more I'd recommend "Carthage Must Be Destroyed" by Richard Miles. It really goes into the relationship between Carthage and Rome in a way that makes you rethink the wars, and better understand their uniqueness in Rome's history.
>>
>>1630078
No, he just misunderstand the Roman psyche and waged war in the same fashion as it was waged in most of the Mediterranean, and as he had been raised waging it in Iberia.
>>
>>1630080
Im speaking purely of the Third of course
>>
>>1630084
So am I, but it wasn't an isolated incident and its occurrence was guaranteed as a result of the Second Punic War. There really was much more than simply loot below the surface for motivations.
>>
>>1630094
True. I think loot probably played a big part in the thinking of it though
>>
>>1630099
In a sense. Rome made more by forcing Carthage to pay reparations. The fact Carthage recovered economically decades before Rome expected them to was part of what motivated the Senate to being antagonizing the Carthaginians. There were very real fears of an economically viable Carthage reascending and once more threatening the stability of the republic.

Plus culturally the Romans hated everything about Carthaginians, and felt uneasy dealing with them at all. They didn't know how to place them, how to label them compared to many of the other cultures they dealt with.
>>
>>1630039
citation needed
>>
>>1629822
But that wasn't a Spartan victory.
>>
You answered your own question with Cannae.

Guagamela and Salamis are also pretty big.
>>
>>1630078
>have like 50k units maybe
>can't siege a city of a million people

>wuz hannibal retarded
>why dont he atack da romes?
>>
>>1630113
>was part of what motivated the Senate to being antagonizing the Carthaginians
Makes sense if the stories of their reliance on mercenaries were true. A state that fields mercenaries has one advantage over a state that uses levies and volunteers, it doesn't need a big population or a lot of territory to field a large army, just deep pockets.
>>
File: checkem.jpg (22KB, 472x472px) Image search: [Google]
checkem.jpg
22KB, 472x472px
>>1629999
JESUS
Thread posts: 23
Thread images: 3

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.