[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

Hunter-gatherer society sounds fucking horrendous. Why do

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 285
Thread images: 25

Hunter-gatherer society sounds fucking horrendous. Why do people praise it?
>>
>>1628536
Noble savage narrative. Though I do think there were definite positives to living in a hunter-gatherer society
>>
>>1628549
There definitely are positives to it, it's just that said positives seem to be exaggerated so that anthropologists can lecture everyone on how we should be more like them.
>>
>>1628536
It's relatively easy and extremely simple living. Work less than modern people do, go hunting with your buddies, fuck bitches, eat meat.
>>
because it seems so different than ours
>>
>>1628557
That's the problem, "oh they were so loving and egalitarian...". But they were only because hunter gatherers only could survive if they were egalitarian.

So far no post agricultural society has been egalitarian anywhere near to the extent hunter gatherers were
>>
Hunter gatherers don't have the option to nuke the world which is nice, plus they don't fuck the climate up. The primitive lifestyle benefits the existence of humanity
>>
Luddite nostalgia basically.
>>
>>1628584
...die of a scratch infection
>>
>>1628536
I think that for many people, the modern world is a very lonely place in which you cannot really trust anyone. You could lose your colleagues at any moment by getting fired, or your wife to a divorce. Many people have no one they can really rely on.

Hunter-gatherer societies, for all their flaws, were very tight-knit and based on trust. Everyone surrounding you all day trusted you with their lives and you trusted them. It must've been a very comforting feeling.
>>
>>1628584
>Work less than modern people do, go hunting with your buddies, fuck bitches, eat meat.
Die of old age at 30
>>
>>1628639
>le living longer is better meme
no
>>
>>1628634
Basically this, although i would prefer to live in a small agricultural village in antiquity, it's for the same reason
>>
>>1628639

*Die before your first birthday

Infant mortality is the prime cause of low age expectancy, you know this m8. The thing about dying of an infected scratch or something is a lot more accurate.
>>
>>1628626
When have you ever gotten an infection from a scratch? How weak is your immune system?

>>1628639
How convenient that currently existing hunter gatherers don't just drop dead at that age.
>>
>there will never be worldview that combines the ultra primitive with the ultra modern
>neo-primitivism will never happen and you will never track an enemy tribe with a live-map app, and club them to death with a big stick

why even live
>>
>>1628634
>>1628647
Yeah but is that even an accurate perception? Weren't there hunter-gatherer societies that would abandon their old and infirm and let them die?
>>
>>1628536

It really depends where you're living I think, certain parts of Africa are basically breadbaskets where you barely even have to work to get food, which is why Africa never even advanced.

In freezing cold Europe it'd be a nightmare, which is mostly why Europeans shifted to agriculture and farming.
>>
>>1628661
Actually most of the time they would realize that they were too old to keep up and useless to the society so they'd exile themselves to die
>>
>>1628691
>In freezing cold Europe it'd be a nightmare, which is mostly why Europeans shifted to agriculture and farming.
Nah. Hunter-gatherers moved North along the retreating continental ice and if I recall correctly, moved onto agriculture due to overhunting.
>>
File: 1468689221553.png (433KB, 414x481px) Image search: [Google]
1468689221553.png
433KB, 414x481px
We evolved to live in an animistic tribal setting, of course it's going to compliment our minds well.

>2 hour work days
>animism replaces science, making you completely philosophically grounded(even though incorrect)
>almost guaranteed a waifu
>simple needs, simple responsibilities, simple solutions
>"wars" between tribes are often times nearly first blood before ending(when you grew up with everyone you're fighting alongside, watching one of them die is good incentive to stop fighting)
>everyone in your tribe treats you like family

It's a very low-stress environment for humans. It is neither inherently inferior or superior as for as a general social setting goes, but if the criteria is amount of anxiety a human being feels on average through their lifetime, animistic tribal society does a lot better than oligarchical globalized capitalist society. However, if the criteria is amount of anime girls produced on average, H-G soc falls to pieces and isn't worth my time.
>>
>>1628536
Newsflash: we don't know shit about hunter gatherers. Stop circle jerkingnow thx
>>
>>1628707
>if the criteria is amount of anime girls produced on average, H-G soc falls to pieces and isn't worth my time
Damn right.
>>
>>1628536

If you have to worry about not shitting your guts out from tainted food and water, you stop worrying about existentialist bullshit.
>>
File: 1467592334994.png (17KB, 92x93px) Image search: [Google]
1467592334994.png
17KB, 92x93px
>>1628707
>almost guaranteed a waifu
But I thought only about 50% of all men ever did breed and humans are polyamorous, with female harems centered around alpha males? Christian monogamy is what gave every man the chance to a wife and family, greatly increasing their motivation and willingness to commit into society.
>>
>>1628691
>It really depends where you're living I think, certain parts of Africa are basically breadbaskets where you barely even have to work to get food, which is why Africa never even advanced.

I thought we ended this meme in one of those "Why didnt Africa..." threads
>>
>>1628707
>2 hour work days

Nigger, you'd be working all the time, just to survive.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nCKkHqlx9dE
>>
>>1628730

No, explain it then?
>>
>>1628707
>2 hour workdays

If their tribe functions well and survives with only 2 hour workdays then they're definitely not just hunting and gathering
>>
File: IMG_2260.jpg (614KB, 1600x1200px) Image search: [Google]
IMG_2260.jpg
614KB, 1600x1200px
>>1628736
Except no. Fishing with nets, trapping and hunting do not require constant work. More than anything, you'd work for the sake of it.
>>
>>1628728
No, the other 50% of males simply died. "alfalfa mail" theory was disproven long ago by the same guy who came up with it
>>
>>1628751
Well who came up with it? And if he is wrong why is his reproductive model so accurately and predictably played out on college and high school campuses? Not to mention on social media and such.
>>
>>1628728
Most HG tribes practice monogamy too, after a fashion. There's a lot less riding on it though. Marriage in agricultural societies is often about more than just the two people being married, it brings two family groups together, unites assets. Not a whole lot of that in the HG setting, it's just two people in an intimate relationship for an extended period of time, there's nothing really to lose by calling it off except the relationship itself because you're both still a part of the tribe either way.
>>
>>1628536
>Why do people praise it?

because of "muh noble savage" bullshit. Literally just the adam and eve fairy tale, but for secularist
>>
File: 1453889566954.jpg (90KB, 512x384px) Image search: [Google]
1453889566954.jpg
90KB, 512x384px
>>1628728
That would be an enormous generalization as far as hunter-gatherer societies go. Beta uprisings are a lot more severe in a tribal setting, harem-like tribes are not built to last. You're much more likely to get open sexual relations, men who do not marry finding a wife in another tribe, butt boy castes, things of this nature. You need a little bit of technological/economical context to start protecting/maintaining your 3-5 wives, which usually requires some form of farming. Bantu peoples often have polygamy, but are not hunter-gatherers, and generally thin out the male population in small skirmishes. It's rare that you see this in actual hunter-gatherer society.

>>1628736
>>1628747
It is a widely accepted anthropological fact that the average hunter-gatherer works 2-3 hours a day, based on enormous amounts of data. All they gotta do is pick up some food off the ground, dude.
>>
>>1628736
Hardly. The HG lifestyle requires only minimal work every day. You don't need a shit load of calories when you don't do a shit load of work. Farming takes a ton of effort, it's literally back-breaking work, so you need a corresponding high amount of caloric intake to offset that. Compared to HG you can just spend an hour fishing while your spouse forages some eggs and roots and have your meals for the day done inside 3 hours.
>>
>>1628761
en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Alpha_(ethology)

Not him but the alpha-beta theory was never applied to human societal structure by anthropologists. I don't know of any studies that have proven it applies to humans
>>
>>1628781
Farming itself isn't continuous though. It's seasonal labour, between which the farmer does not work all that much. Modern people work pretty much the most out of all to have lived.
>>
>>1628536
THICC
>>
>>1628740
Well first of all you're not wrong in saying that certain parts of Africa are breadbaskets, but you're completely wrong in saying that
>you barely had to work to get food there
>therefore these areas didnt develop

Ancient Egyptian civilization (which rose in Africa's most fertile breadbasket) wouldnt exist if either of these things were true.

Also, even if it was true that fertile land = no development and harsh land = civilization then why did expansive, well-developed African empires and civilizations rise in fertile areas like the Niger River and the Nile, as well as North Africa and not in places like the Sahara?
>>
File: 1460892264776.gif (649KB, 480x228px) Image search: [Google]
1460892264776.gif
649KB, 480x228px
>>1628609
>the primitive lifestyle benefits the existence of humanity
>lets just let ourselves be at the mercy of the environment
>>
>>1628536
That's a loaded question bro.
>>
>>1628788
>even if it was true
It's not. Civilizations evolve specifically in fertile regions with functional, effective agriculture.
>>
>>1628785
>Farming itself isn't continuous though. It's seasonal labour
I can tell you've never lived on a farm. Different crops grow in different seasons, while one field is fallow another needs to be tilled. Animals don't drop dead in the winter either, sheep, goats, pigs, cows etc need tending all year. That means they require food to get through winter, that means growing crops not only for yourself but also for your livestock. Then you add in the crops you need to sell for profit so you can afford to buy necessities (like new tools or to pay the miller to grind flour for you etc), and if you're in a feudal society then you've really got it rough because on top of managing your own farm shit you also have to work the Lord's land for him. Back breaking work.
>>
>>1628788
Egypt is fertile in the sense that it can be used for agriculture, not in the sense that it is abundant in huntable animals and gatherable food.
Stop trying to make excuses for black people.
>>
>>1628799
Thats what i said whitey
>>
>>1628656
>weak immune system

funny you should mention that. want a blanked? :^)
>>
>>1628813
blanket*, obviously
>>
>>1628802

In a modern farm, yes. But early nomads would sow seeds, leave the area to follow the game herds, and return to harvest in a few months. Hands off.
>>
File: Raatajat_rahanalaiset.jpg (986KB, 2000x1600px) Image search: [Google]
Raatajat_rahanalaiset.jpg
986KB, 2000x1600px
>>1628802
>Different crops grow in different seasons
And there's a single growing season in Northern Europe and crop rotation is a recently modern invention, is it not?
>Animals don't drop dead in the winter either, sheep, goats, pigs, cows etc need tending all year.
Keeping them fed, or simply letting them go out on pasture is not back breaking work either.
>and if you're in a feudal society then you've really got it rough because on top of managing your own farm shit you also have to work the Lord's land for him.
Yes, obviously if you're a landless peasant, you're worse off than a land-owning farmer.

You till the fields, plant whatever, then harvest. Celebrate the end of the year greatly and hull down for the winter.
>>
>>1628707
>"wars" between tribes are often times nearly first blood before ending(when you grew up with everyone you're fighting alongside, watching one of them die is good incentive to stop fighting)

Actually, percentally, HG conflicts are the deadliest conflicts in humanity.

For example, ww1 and ww2 killed off about 5-8% of the population.

HG conflicts observed in Papua New Guinea cause 20-40% casualty rates. Pretty horrifying come to think.
>>
>>1628584
This. Do 2-3 hours of work everyday, spend rest of your time fucking, dancing and smoking weed.
>>
>>1628736

You forget that many HG societies use a division of labor so that one person never has to do all that. You go out hunting and you catch a deer in two hours, your work is done. If you stay out all day and don't catch anything, you can ask your neighbors for some meat or bargain it off the local headman in exchange for loyalty points. But in most pre civs game is plentiful so you won't really have this problem.
>>
>>1628805
Then point out to me the places in Africa that
>have abundant game and gatherable foods
>people dont have to work hard to survive
>people didnt need to use agriculture so they
>never developed
>never became civilized
>>
>>1628736
You only have to build that once every few years though. And this guy doesn't spend all his time in the wilderness, he has a job to go back to, so the amount of time it takes him is not representative of the amount of time it would take an actual hunter-gatherer or primitive agriculturalist.
>>
>>1628839
>You only have to build that once every few years though
Build it once and fix it every now and then when shit starts breaking. Nevermind the fact that the hut would be bigger and likely contain your entire family in it.
>>
File: aaa.jpg (144KB, 333x500px) Image search: [Google]
aaa.jpg
144KB, 333x500px
>>1628822
>it's a "city boy tells all the farm lads how farming is easy work" episode
>>
>>1628846
>hut would be bigger
One man never builds a hut, the entire tribe builds a hut, i very much doubt that the whole tribe spends 8 hours a day, five days a week building huts
>>
>>1628825
PNG tribes are not a good standard to make generalizations based off of hunter-gatherer culture. PNG is bizarre compared to the rest of the world as far as animistic society goes. Excessive amounts of extremely isolated linguistic groups crammed into a small space, not to mention a fixation on cannibalism.

Khosian "wars" will usually see 1-10 people die total, their society is a lot more standard as far as HG goes.

PNGs are awesome as fuck though. I'm bummed out that island isn't walled off as a people preserve, I'd just like to see it evolve into some kind of insane aztec shit over a couple thousand years.
>>
>>1628855
>its a "lazy farmer thinks he knows what hard work is"
I don't see supervisors breathing down your neck all the live long day
>>
>>1628838
>Then point out to me the places in Africa that...
Pretty much the entirety of sub-Saharan Africa barring the Namib, the African horn, and a few other places.
Agriculture was introduced to blacks by caucasians from the African horn, they never developed it themselves. They never had the need to, because unlike Egyptians, when they overhunted they could just move on to a new area.
>>
>>1628855
Tell me, farmerboy, what makes farming difficult?
>>
>>1628875
>my boss is being a meanie

holy fuck lad, thoughen up
>>
>>1628883
I'm not going to have this discussion again, the last time, somebody claimed wellington boots make you magically float on mud, that tilling damp soil is basically no work at all and that besides sowing and reaping, there's no other farm work.
So, no...
>>
>>1628882
>if you believe hard enough the memes will come true :^)
>>
>>1628886
My point is that is farmers can behave however they like at "work"
If they want to have a laugh, listen to music, have a drink, sing and mess about then they can.
Work isn't work if you've got a cigarette in your hand, earphones in your ears and the sun on your skin.
>>
liberal retard alert.
>>
>>1628882
Wew lad
>>
File: 1471801568359.png (475KB, 747x574px) Image search: [Google]
1471801568359.png
475KB, 747x574px
>>1628900
What, you mean stuff we've been using animals and machines to help us for millenia now? It's simple, seasonal physical labour. Other jobs include maintenance and keeping the animals alive by showing food into their face.
It's ok if you want to bloat your ego by praising the difficulty of farming, but it's really not hard.
>>
>>1628905
>>1628911
>I can't come up with a refutation so I'll just meme instead :^)
>hehe now nobody can accuse me of being wrong :^)
>>
File: mmmmmmmmmmmmmm.gif (875KB, 250x231px) Image search: [Google]
mmmmmmmmmmmmmm.gif
875KB, 250x231px
>>1628906
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_pDTiFkXgEE

>Work isn't work if you've got a cigarette in your hand, earphones in your ears and the sun on your skin.
This is why lonely physical labour is amazing. Nobody bothers you, you can work just about however the fuck you want, listening to music without a care in the world.
>>
>>1628883
>>1628900

also, I'm not really a farmer, I just help out my parents and even they do it more as a hobby than acutal sustenance and I can tell you, I much rather sit in an AC'd office 8 hours a day and tap a keyboard than having to farm to actually sustain myself and make surplus to sell.

>>1628906
>Work isn't work if you've got a cigarette in your hand, earphones in your ears and the sun on your skin.
>he's never been a delivery guy/construction worker/professional hunter(:^))/the list could go on
>>
File: 1464892738475.jpg (161KB, 866x838px) Image search: [Google]
1464892738475.jpg
161KB, 866x838px
>>1628924
>I would rather sit on my ass than do physical labour
>farming is hard guys
>>
>>1628926
yes, I'd rather earn a lot more money per hour than a farmer and then enjoy an orthopedically approved ride on my fancy $5k bike than break my back for 5 hours only so that the retailer can fuck me up the ass for corn prices, but that's a bit outside the scope of my original memepost
>>
>>1628918
Agriculture was developed in Africa and later on Bantu's with their Iron tools spread across central and Southern Africa. The areas they failed to penetrate were areas that already developed agriculture and key point had iron tools as well.
>>
>>1628882
>Agriculture was introduced to blacks by caucasians from the African horn, they never developed it themselves.

Stop memeing whitey

>Between 9000 and 5000 BCE, Nigerā€“Congo speakers domesticated the oil palm and raffia palm. Two seed plants, black-eyed peas and voandzeia (African groundnuts) were domesticated, followed by okra and kola nuts.
>In the steppes and savannah of the Sahara and Sahel, the Nilo-Saharan speakers started to collect and domesticate wild millet and sorghum between 8000 and 6000 BCE. Later, gourds, watermelons, castor beans, and cotton were also collected and domesticated. The people started capturing wild cattle and holding them in circular thorn hedges, resulting in domestication.[15]
>In the fifth millennium, as the ancestors of modern West Africans began entering the area, the development of sedentary farming began to take place in West Africa, with evidences of domesticated cattle having been found for this period, along with limited cereal crops.
n the western Sahel, the rise of settled communities was largely the result of domestication of millet and sorghum.
>Archaeology points to sizeable urban populations in West Africa beginning in the 2nd millennium BCE. Symbiotic trade relations developed before the trans-Saharan trade, in response to the opportunities afforded by north-south diversity in ecosystems across deserts, grasslands, and forests. The agriculturists received salt from the desert nomads. The desert nomads acquired meat and other foods from pastoralists and farmers of the grasslands and from fishermen on the Niger River. The forest dwellers provided furs and meat.[17]
>>
>>1628940
>farming is hard work because US business practices, Monsanto kikery, corn subsidies and such make it an economical shithole
It's not the farming itself that's hard.
>>
>>1628940
You forgot factory and corporate farms fucking you up. The government (in the USA for ts example) failing to support family farms and under invest in them while support Big Farm.

In poor countries you have to compete with subsidized food flooding your country lowering prices or even if you don't import food for cash crops if you grew cotton the richer subsidized nation lowering prices of cotton to below or barely surplus levels. You also have to worry about climate change and environmental disasters.
>>
>>1628827
That stupid 2 hour work day shit has been debunked already. Why cant reports about HG societies ever be consistent?
>>
>>1629030
Because I need to make a groundbreaking paper that justifies me spending $200000 in government grants masturbating in the jungle.
>>
>>1628692
So pretty much HG societies were suicide cults
>>
>>1628584
these are wrong. studies were done on modern hunter gatherers, when food preparation time was counted, the amount of work done daily was double earlier estimates. Most men died virgins. Meat was scarce.
>>
>>1628751
Wasn't it a basic fact that most men hooked up with women because of their status as hunters?
>>
>>1628645
its an indicator that life sucked ass, if you're stressed out 24/5, hungry half of the time, and working nonstop, then you'll die early.
>>
If hunter gather lifestyle is so much better why don't you fuckers go do it?
>>
>>1629165
they need us to join with them or else they'll feel lonely pissing in a ditch 2 meters away from the bush that only has 2 ripe berries on it.
>>
>>1628536
Because it was at that moment that the human species understood that in order to survive, people had to work together. COLECTIVISM!
>>
>>1629174
i feel an ill-informed rant about ayn rand approaching
>>
File: Just dont hurt me.png (30KB, 146x171px) Image search: [Google]
Just dont hurt me.png
30KB, 146x171px
>>1629181
The Blood Sacrifice has been given. She Comes.
>>
>>1629174
working together not existent on hunter-gatherers societies? I thought the whole point of agriculture was that a single person can do more work and produce more given a smaller area of land, nothing to do with collectivism or objectivitism.

also when did collectivism became working together.
>>
>>1629201
>also when did collectivism became working together.
when collectivists want to avoid the unpleasant subject of gulags.
>>
>>1628536
It is the environment our brains evolved for. Much of modern misery is caused by this dissonance--our brains weren't "designed" to live the way we do. This is a big part of what causes such high levels of anxiety/depression in the modern world.
>>
>>1629222
>This is a big part of what causes such high levels of anxiety/depression in the modern world.
Amazing how those high levels didn't exist before the 1960s.
>>
>>1629226
It did, it's just that people did have the internet to say their depressed
>>
>>1629275
No, look at the fucking suicide and drug use rates.
>>
>>1628536
today's hunter-gather populations are mere relics of a once more populous and thriving subsistence form.

We also have to properly define hunter gatherers.

We know for example that:

The tribes of California intentionally cared for, aerated, transplanted, weeded and pruned plants.
Baka Pygmies and "Negritos" practiced paraculture
Moriori intentionally planted karaka trees
Papuan/Melanesians lowlanders planted, tended and spread Sago along southeastern Asia.
Pacific Northwest Natives living sedentary lives of fishing gathering starch rich foods from cared for and modified fields
Southeastern Aboriginals formed massive stoneworks for the production of eels living largely sedentary lives
Jomon planted orchards
San and Okiek were Apiculturalists

the list goes on. People think domestication is a linear event. However we are learning that that is not actually the end goal. We were always food producers and could recognize the life cycles of the flora around us. Tapping into that knowledge allowed many of the worlds ancestors to maximize returns.

People weren't randomly grabbing and eating everything around them willy-nilly and hunter-gather-fisher-tenderers today aren't either.
>>
>>1629194
>>1629181
>>1629174
why do collectivists shitpost so much?
>>
Primitivists don't say we should become hunter-gatherers, but that we should look to pre-civ as inspiration to sculpt our futures to be more fulfilled.

It's possible to be a futurist-primitivists. Using technology to allow ourselves to live more comfortable, calmer, more fulfilling lives. (post-scarcity living comes to mind, which is literally what a futurist-primitivst looks forward to)
>>
File: 2817_2y010_2817_1.jpg (20KB, 430x600px) Image search: [Google]
2817_2y010_2817_1.jpg
20KB, 430x600px
>>1629472
>futurist-primitivism
[laughs at you in Italian]
>>
>>1629495
It really is a stupid term that I just through out there to convey that most primitivists have ideals that incorporate futurist ideals. You can't actually be prim-fut, as being primitivist involves a critique of tech and civ in general, but that critique isn't absolute. Tech can and according to prims should be used to facilitate a prim world.
>>
>>1628536
More leisure time
More freedom
No spooks or social constructs, stress of modern society nonexistent
>>
>>1628536
Masturbating over primitive life is the inevitable conclusion of right-wing traditionalism
>>
>>1629509
yet all i see parading this idiotic ideology are leftist health freaks.
>>
>>1629516
Have you considered that liberals who fight agricultural innovations that the poor desperately depend on might not be as left as they think they are?
>>
File: 1427589759614.jpg (68KB, 978x678px) Image search: [Google]
1427589759614.jpg
68KB, 978x678px
>>1628659
underrated post
>>
>>1629521
have you considered that the conservatives who fight the ease of access of goods and trade to circulate in their communities of which the poor and farmers rely heavily on might not be as right as they think they are?

the root of your statement is "left is for the poor" stop being delusional, both parties are for the poor, they just disagree on their methods
>>
>>1629503
Futurism isn't only about technology.

Maybe you meant accelerationist-technocratic-primitivism or something.
>>
>>1629573
No, you're right, I reduced futurism to its more tangible tech-related arena, but of course there's a lot more to it than that
>>
>>1628906

I get the feeling you've only ever had non labor-intensive jobs.
>>
>>1629592
Incorrect
Farming is not like any other professions is all
>>
Does anyone else want to fuck a San woman? They can be quite cute.
>>
>>1628536
he thicc
>>
>>1628788
The Sahara used to be pretty sweet until recently. If it still stayed that way until recently then it would have agriculture earlier on.
>>
>>1628947
> The people started capturing wild cattle and holding them in circular thorn hedges, resulting in domestication.[15]

>Asians, Middle Easterners, North African and Nilo-Saharan Africans all domesticated the auroch
>yet Europeans killed their subspecies of auroch and had to get it from Middle Eastern herders
>>
>>1628639
>fuck bitches
https://psmag.com/8-000-years-ago-17-women-reproduced-for-every-one-man-6d41445ae73d#.xburivl3b
>>
>>1628536
BREHS
>>
File: 1461797693838.jpg (639KB, 1645x899px) Image search: [Google]
1461797693838.jpg
639KB, 1645x899px
>>1628536
Quite simple; in our fast-paced, highly specialized, hedonistic consumerist society, where people are so individually isolated with no sense of community, people are looking for meaning in their lives.

They look back at simpler times, where they can have purpose and a sense of being a part of something. Hunter-gatherer societies necessarily are based on this, but they ignore how truly shitty it would be, since all societal advancement has come from agriculture, where people could afford to do more than worry about food and shelter.

If you seriously want purpose and a sense of community, then why don't you go join the military or something?
>>
>>1628536
It's demanding but it's not anywhere near the primitive hellhole it's made out to be.
>>
>>1628626
I'm not even a doctor and I know that's a very unlikely outcome. Unless you're an infant/child, rather old, or immuno-deficient, you're probably not going to die of a scratch infection. Then again, it could get infected with something really nasty, but even modern societies have that issue. Look up MRSA.
>>1628639
Nice meme. It's not like everyone dropped dead at 30. That's a misconception taken from demographic calculations. The average age at death is low because it's skewed by infant mortality. Humans that made it to puberty usually lived several decades longer, though there was still a relatively high risk of death.
>>
>>1628661
It really depended. Some of them left their old people to die, some of them traditionally left it up to the old people to commit suicide, and some kept the old folks around.
>>
>>1628728
>le alpha male harem meme
>>>/r9k/
>>
>>1628825
PNG is a pretty crazy place, but I don't know if it represents all "primitive" peoples.
Also, high proportional death tolls are found in many modern or semi modern societies. Look up the War of the Triple Alliance, the Taiping Rebellion, the An Lushan Rebellion, The Eastern Front of WWII, The Indonesian invasion of East Timor, the Thirty Years' War, or any other bloody event from the lovely catalogue of human history.
>>
>>1628584
I'd assume it to be quite meticulous work, having alot of patience and persistence.

>Work less than modern people do
Hunting today is way easier, guns make the work much faster, or just technological advances in weaponry in general make hunting today much less work.
>>
File: 1471018738683.jpg (119KB, 874x976px) Image search: [Google]
1471018738683.jpg
119KB, 874x976px
>>
File: 1470778949361.jpg (80KB, 640x479px) Image search: [Google]
1470778949361.jpg
80KB, 640x479px
>>
File: 1470777471776.png (562KB, 1080x1075px) Image search: [Google]
1470777471776.png
562KB, 1080x1075px
>>
>>1630136
Do continue.
>>
Conviently naked and afraid just showed up on ther tv and all the spear checkers just got gastritis
>>
>>1628825
>implying colonial era HG conflicts are representative of pre-colonial HG conflicts.
>>
>>1628536
The whole noble savage meme that and modern living is making people stressed and depressed as shit so they're pining for what they think would be a simple easier time.
>>1628584
>It's relatively easy and extremely simple living
no it isn't you spend most your time trying to find food and hunting, your whole day to day life revolves around "am I going to be able to eat today? am I going to die of an infection because of a scratch I got?" the whole hunter gather life style is romanticized in reality it would suck.
>>
>>1628802
Still they worked way way less, had more days off and in general less stressfull life.
>>
File: ap.png (130KB, 635x477px) Image search: [Google]
ap.png
130KB, 635x477px
>>
>>1628536
>Hunter-gatherer society sounds fucking horrendous.
only because you are scared to die.

today you scared to be bored, then to die
>>
>>1630238

Lost
>>
>>1629096
>Most men died virgins.
It seems nothing has changed.
>>
>>1630300
At least there are now crackwhores and hookers except if you're in the USA
>>
>>1628536
If I could do it with proper clothes and a gun in a relatively cool place than I am all for it, otherwise no
>>
>>1628751
Then why do scientists think that homo sapiens have bigger dicks than the rest of the primates because only the well endowed guys got to scoop out inferior sperm?
>>
>>1630329
But Homo sapiens as a whole is beta as fuck within apes, even within our own genus.
>>
>>1629159
nah, it's an indicator that most of them died before their second birthday, driving down the average life expectancy.

People who made it to adulthood could reasonably expect to live into their 50s, 60s, and 70's
>>
>>1628634
>>Hunter-gatherer societies, for all their flaws, were very tight-knit and based on trust. Everyone surrounding you all day trusted you with their lives and you trusted them. It must've been a very comforting feeling.
yes but women despise this because women hate the supervision and being told what to do, especially when it goes to their desire of sex and pleasures
>>
>>1628883
>thinking farming is easy
Dude get a grip
>>
>>1628536
Apex predator/easy meat. Which sounds more appealing to you?
>>
>>1630492
>hunter gatherers were 70 years old

the memes are all over the place now. fucking analphabetic, parroting proles.
>>
>>1630318
>At least there are now crackwhores and hookers except if you're in the USA
>except if you're in the USA
???
>>
>>1630601
http://www.anth.ucsb.edu/faculty/gurven/papers/GurvenKaplan2007pdr.pdf
>>
>>1628822
>And there's a single growing season in Northern Europe and crop rotation is a recently modern invention, is it not?
No, it's fucking ancient.
>>
>>1630635
interesting, death rates might as well be indistinguishable from pre-industrial agricultural societies.

thanks for the link
>>
>>1629159
Anyone living below the median wage in an industrialized country today is stressed out 24/5, hungry half the time, and working nonstop.
>>
>>1630677
Me again:
You might argue that everyone was that way in a hunter-gatherer society. But I think there were more respites when times were good because there was more of a community that would share resources.
>>
>>1630677
stressed 5/5, overeat a bit, working 40/week

t. under median wage
>>
>>1628795
but in the end we are on the mercy of the environment. only difference is that bigger scale means bigger problems.
>>
>>1630706
40hrs/wk at 8$/hr is barely enough to pay rent some places. That's above minimum wage. Dont try to pretend that those people are eating enough. If they are, then they are probably working another job and not sleeping enough.
>>
>>1630731
this
>>
>>1630743
well ok, but I'm not from the 3rd world
>>
File: hokkus.jpg (37KB, 304x261px) Image search: [Google]
hokkus.jpg
37KB, 304x261px
>>1630731
>>1630745
but you've got the plebs between you and the environment. if it goes fucked they'll starve first and you'll survive until it gets fixed.

you, you anon, you're not the plebs. please don't think you're the plebs and get mad and wreck everything.

t. every society ever
>>
>>1629865
European auroch got killed off in the 15th century as other cattles were introduced long before that, your argument is invalid.

Boars however were domesticated quiete early.
>>
>>1631005
Not really, as Europeans could have domesticated theirs instead of having it introduced to them.

>Boars were domesticated quite early

That's good, pork is pretty tasty. I wonder how they handled them.
>>
It sounds great and its the only sustainable way of living humans have come up with untill now.
>>
>>1628813
Introducing advanced viruses to a new landmass they've never been seen before is hardly an argument against hunter-gatherers.
>>
>>1630562

Women love being told what to do.

When they say they dont its just a shit test.
>>
>>1629945
Yes serf be a good subject and don't forget to pay your tithes.
>>
>hunting only consisted of 20% of the diet
>not realizing that hunting would probably take up most of the diet in colder or dryer climates and temperatures
I think even most modern day anthropology students realize that there were more advantages to hunting then initially thought, it's just that there are still retards out there who push for HG societies to be about some gay female empowerment ideology that makes men look lazy.
>>
>>1628626
There's this thing called natural selection that eliminates people who die of a scratch from the genepool in hunter-gatherer societies.
Meanwhile, if you tally up the number of chronic diseases you will avoid with regular exercise and a healthy diet, the lifestyle is starting to look pretty good in Disability-adjusted life-years.
>>
>>1628639
>>1628648
>>1629983
and even those who died in their twenties or thirties died suddenly by accident or violence, not by some chronic shittiness of his life.
>>
>>1628536
muh egalitarian society meme
>>
>>1628707
Its not 2-3 hours a day.
Its 2-3 hours a day + hunting/gathering + occasional times where workload is higher(moving camp, big hunt succeeds, etc)

>>1628825
20-40% when 70% of the Tribe is in the fireline? Thats pretty good.
Compared to WW2 where the end line is something like 20% fielded at most
>>
>>1628802
Modern day: 1 farmer with MEGA TOOLS harvest and mantain a area thats HUUUUUGE. Actually, if it was 2-3 farmers, the workload would be barely anything, which is why the single farmer is so overworked(but only in season harvest)

1920s: 3-8 farmers maintain slightly smaller area, if they can afford the tools needed to upscale production.

Pre industrial: 40-70, plus seasonal help for the Megafarmers area.
>>
>>1628825
this. over a quarter of found paleolithic and mesolithic fossiles died due to either between- or intra-group violence. for comparison, murder rates of medieval europe were around 50 per 100 000 individuals.
>>
>>1628707
>low stress
>literally at the mercy of the environment
>has to go through life and death battles with nature to get food
>needs to compete with predatory animals on a daily basis
>not stressful

Are you full of shit?
>>
>>1628748
cozy as fuck house
>>
>>1628748
>Fishing with nets, trapping and hunting do not require constant work.
It does.

There are days when HGs eat only once a day.

Here in my country we have plenty of Aboriginal tribes living as they had for centuries where they wake up at 3:00 in the Morning to start fishing so they can avoid the worst of the tropical sun.
>>
>>1631958
>There's this thing called natural selection that eliminates people who die of a scratch from the genepool in hunter-gatherer societies.

Then how does it happen nowadays?
>>
More free-time.
If you found food for the day, you could just have sex for the rest of the day and sing folk songs.
>>
>>1632134
How does spina bifida happen?
>>
>>1628634
If your wife and job colleagues are your whole universe - that's pretty sad.
>>
>>1632125
there are days when I eat only once, what's your point
>>
>>1628536
>muh egalitarian society
the more you prevent environmental factors from affecting one's decisions the more you allow biological inferences to affect theirs. which means that the hunter gatherer societies were so badly affected by enviromental factors that they were forced to abandon their biological inferences and adopt each other's roles.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=p5LRdW8xw70

the more you free people from the toil of hardwork. the more non-egalitarian they become in their decisions.
>>
>>1628602
They weren't even close to egalitarian.....
>>1628536
Does everyone think the same way? If not then is it not possible that which you see as the greatest evil is to another man the greatest good?
>>
>ppl actually think HG societies were communist
>communism wouldnt even be invented till thousands of years later
>there was no owned property in HG societies due to most tribes moving all the time
>literally just a way for 14 year olds to project their ideological world view of "sharing is caring" even though sharing leads to boring people with no differences
>>
>>1630329
Cock length is partially controlled by genes that determine general limb length, which varies with climate. Longer limbs means more surface area which means you can cool off faster. A big juicy cock is just a bonus. One could still be tall and have smaller limbs, but longer torso (and a tiny pp)
>>
>>1628661
Do people honestly believe this? I mean it certainly occurred but would you let your fucking parents just die out in the open? Hunter gatherer societies are much more natural and healthy for humans that is a fact, the fact that diseases still exist and that the environment is harsh doesn't negate that fact, both those things still exist today.
Of course it was rougher but humans were built for this roughness, it's only now that we have become so detached from nature that people think it was this darwinian nightmare
>>
>>1634511
You do realize that HG societies were operated under the rule of everyone having to participate and if any one person had some sort of disability or was unable to do work then they would get left to the wolves, right? This is common fact regardless of how much you try to deny it.

>natural and healthy for humans
Go hug a tree, then. There's literally no way of telling because every society is going to have pros and cons depending on the environmental status.

>would you let your parents die out in the open?
If you had a limit of how many people you could feed in a specific time frame then yes. Survival instincts trumps feelings, sorry. Said survival instincts is why people view HG societies as shit. There's no NEED for half of the stuff they did anymore.
>>
>>1634511
>natural and healthy for humans
living in the dirt and spending most of your time putting your tribe before yourself and occasionally resorting to cannibalism and infanticide isnt normal or healthy. jesus you're deluded
>>
>>1634538
>You do realize that HG societies were operated under the rule of everyone having to participate and if any one person had some sort of disability or was unable to do work then they would get left to the wolves, right? This is common fact regardless of how much you try to deny it.
You do realize that mammals and humans especially are a sentient and altruistic species right? Conditions would have to be close to the brink of starvation for any population to just drop their genetic ancestors or otherwise closely related family members. Literally nobody would be worthless because just the fact that you might not be able to hunt anymore doesn't mean you don't have worth, if you were seriously unfit for work you would've been dead anyway because watching the kids, cleaning or creating pottery or whatever would be possible to anyone who wasn't harshly and fatally wounded (dead anyway).

>Go hug a tree, then. There's literally no way of telling because every society is going to have pros and cons depending on the environmental status.
Oh so you don't think that literal hundreds of thousands of years don't qualify? I guess agrarian societies that exist for less than 20000 years are way more natural to humans Right? Just by looking at other predatory mammals we could deduce this fact but you seem to be very keen on not doing so.
>If you had a limit of how many people you could feed in a specific time frame then yes. Survival instincts trumps feelings, sorry. Said survival instincts is why people view HG societies as shit. There's no NEED for half of the stuff they did anymore.
Agree here but still, just because this society disables man's primeval nature does not mean it's pointless, the fact that you portion of our society (mostly women, who don't have those traits mostly anyway which is again, based in evolution of women and men, does not mean that those traits wil be outbred.
>>
>>1634557
Of course it's normal, and it is also healthy, humans and our ancestors have been living like this forever, do you think this sterilized world is more natural and healthy? Humans actually profit from that, their immune system gets stronger and they develop less allergies.
>>
>>1634641
>You do realize that mammals and humans especially are a sentient and altruistic species right? Conditions would have to be close to the brink of starvation for any population to just drop their genetic ancestors or otherwise closely related family members. Literally nobody would be worthless because just the fact that you might not be able to hunt anymore doesn't mean you don't have worth, if you were seriously unfit for work you would've been dead anyway because watching the kids, cleaning or creating pottery or whatever would be possible to anyone who wasn't harshly and fatally wounded (dead anyway).
If they even missed a day of gathering or hunting for food then the band of 20 people would be at risk of dying out. Are you for real? Literally every day had to have been a trip to get food, otherwise they would have been fucked. ANYONE with a disability would have been seen as worthless, you idiot. That's the point.

No hunting or gathering group would take anyone with poor eye sight, they would have just told them to fuck off.

>w-well, other mammals acted this way therefore humans have to as well!

HAHAHAHAHAHAHA

Get off the computer, you faggot. It's obviously more naturally healthy for you if you do it.
>>
>>1634649
eugenics is a shit argument for anything. anyone with any illness would have died out w/o any help from the tribe. also killing babies is cool i guess.
>>
>>1634649
https://en.wikipedia org/wiki/Infanticide
>Many Neolithic groups routinely resorted to infanticide in order to control their numbers so that their lands could support them. Joseph Birdsell believed that infanticide rates in prehistoric times were between 15% and 50% of the total number of births,[10] while Laila Williamson estimated a lower rate ranging from 15% to 20%.[6]:66 Both anthropologists believed that these high rates of infanticide persisted until the development of agriculture during the Neolithic Revolution.[11]:19 Comparative anthropologists have calculated that 50% of female newborn babies were killed by their parents during the Paleolithic era.[12] Decapitated skeletons of hominid children have been found with evidence of cannibalism.[13] The children were not necessarily actively killed, but neglect and intentional malnourishment may also have occurred, as proposed by Vicente Lull as an explanation for an apparent surplus of men and the below average height of women in prehistoric Menorca.[14]
You might be trying to romanticize and aggrandize HG societies a bit too much. They had some pretty extremely unhealthy and downright inconvenient practices. Why are you trying to damage control them so much? If you really think that it's more natural then why are you here?

This is the problem with anthropologists, they'll spew on and on about how living with nature is better but then they'll just go back to their office with hot food and a bed. You really aren't any different from Jared Diamond or any of those other guys.
>>
>>1634662
>no Hunter gatherer society would take anyone with bad eyesight
Lmao, I guess they just measured that. You're the fucking idiot here, natural selection cared about that problem anyway, the fact that you know so little about humans is honestly worrying, do you seriously believe that humans would've just dropped a kid because he didn't see as good as them? The kid either hurt himself dying after that or he would be of help in some other way, if your version of the human nature were true we wouldn't be alive anymore. People also didn't fucking need to hunt every day, do you fucking idiot even listen to yourself? Do you even know how densely populated the woods were back then? If you hunted a deer, elk or moose or any other comparably large mammal you'd have meat for at least a week
>>
>>1634707
>do you seriously believe that humans would've just dropped a kid because he didn't see as good as them?
If you actually bothered to read up on HG societies, then yeah.
> if your version of the human nature were true we wouldn't be alive anymore.
No, just people who would require glasses or contacts nowadays would be dead. Stop sperging out, it's embarrassing how much you wanna go back to living in the woods.
>>
>>1634707
different anon here. i can kinda see where you're coming from but you gotta realize that looking at how prehistoric societies acted through a modern lens is kinda dumb. if someone in the tribe had poor eye sight then 9 times out of 10 they WOULD be ostracized for it. HG societies were strict as fuck with how much they wanted everyone to work, and they did inspect newborns to see if there were any physical or even mental deficiencies. that's a huge hit on individual moral looking back at how they acted. individualism in general seemed to be discouraged.
>>
>>1634686
But I assume you're perfectly fine with abortion then right?
Hypocrites...
If your survival depends on killing a barely sentient, worthless at that point (actually) baby which would endanger your group if left alive and fed you'd probably do it.Do you think they were heartless? Do you think their mothers weren't crying for it probably, that their fathers wanted to kill their baby? But it's tough, I don't say that it's perfect but your one dimensional view from our "superior" pov is far from being fair, those people's survival and decision making enabled us to live, let that sink in.
>>
>>1634733
>But I assume you're perfectly fine with abortion then right?
Most people can get all the resources they need in modern times, in prehistory they didn't have that luxury. Abortion only happens when individual people feel like they themselves aren't ready to care for a kid. HG societies however operated under a logistical system of whether or not said child would be healthy to have around for everyone else. There's a difference between abortion and killing a sentient kid after it was born.
>>
File: San2.jpg (25KB, 192x462px) Image search: [Google]
San2.jpg
25KB, 192x462px
Muh patriarchal warrior clans with nuclear families meme.
>>
>>1634733
>actually defending cannibalism
>comparing abortion to infanticide
oh my
>>
>>1634721
Of course if your group was barely sustainable you'd find a way to get rid of worthless individuals. What you don't seem to realize is that they weren't stone cold Machiavellian psychopaths.
It always was a measure the profit loss kinds thing for humans and other animals, but still this doesn't mean that we are better now in this regard. Nowadays there's the option for blind people to live here because they don't cost too much, but looking through our modern lens at their hardships is ignorant to say the least. >>1634728
Of course, I don't think it's this paradise on earth but the fact that it was a more natural way of life cannot even be questioned IMO, humans lived and adapted to THAT, not to what we have today- it's ingrained in our DNA
>>
>>1634748
Natural doesn't equal good. Modern humans adapted more to agriculture then to hunting and gathering. Besides, I like living in a world where I can actually choose what to do with my life outside of boring survival shit. You can go on about "muh natural way of living" but at the end of the day that "natural" way of living isn't gonna look appealing to the modern eye. It's kinda like assuming that we should be more like monkeys and fling shit at each other and pick tics off of each others heads. If humans have the ability to do incredible things that are unique to us then why wouldn't we?
>>
>>1634742
Yeah, just like I said, abortion is much more psychopathic and cold hearted in my opinion. It's also not solely done because you're "not ready " it's selfish in the most pure sense, the fact that women are handed this choice so lightly is worrying to me. It's funny how a lot of people think one is morally superior, I think abortion is much more problematic because it rids you of responsibility from the get go
>>1634747
>I get to decide when a human being is not to be killed anymore
How would you like your double morals sir?
Do you honestly believe that it makes a difference? Just because it slipped from its mothers womb doesn't make it any more human
>>
>>1634761
oy vey, we've got a conservative here. man the cannons
>>
>>1634760
>feminized beta male doesn't want to partake in a harsh society that rewards merit and hard work and produces a hardened character
Well Colour me surprised.
>>
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/%C7%83Kung_people#Recent_history
>>
>>1634769
Boi, what a great argument, your virtue signalling is pointless on this website because it's not filled to the brim with liberals and leftists who can't form rebuttals
>>
>>1634770
I wanna live in a society where people have the opportunity to be and do whatever they want without having to worry about whether or not the tribe will like it. Harshness doesn't really mean anything if you're not gonna do something interesting with it. If you wanna live in a society where your options are limited to your genitals and you can't do anything else then go ahead. Everyone else will be too busy actually being relevant to human history
>>
>>1634770
>a harsh society that rewards merit and hard work and produces a hardened character
Harsh and disgustingly rigid are two very different things. Try again.
>>
>>1634784
I guess you're really relevant to human history. The delusion is real

The fact that you even bring up the societal construct (at least you believe that I assume) of gender and their proposed roles in HG societies is funny. You're a man probably, therefore I assume you're implicating that you want to do traditionally female jobs, is that right? If so you don't even need to reply again.
>>
>>1634788
I think you just described modern society. Funny how that goes huh?
If you were lonely you wouldn't have survived for long, that's why people usually lived in tribes, but I assume you just deliberately forgot about that
>>
>>1634789
in today's society every working person supports, in part, the advancement of humanity as a whole due to the global nature of our economy
even if you're just a laborer, its because thousands of other laborers like you a select few people have the spare time to increase our total knowledge at an exponential rate

in a tribe however your contributions would be to the tribe and nothing else and would be extinguished when, eventually, said tribe goes extinct
>>
>>1634787
Rigid is just a word. I fully understand that nowadays people like you are fucking afraid of that but those people didn't have a choice and they actually thrived.

Of course they had it worse in some ways but it's still a more natural way to live, I doubt they were depressed or had to worry about paying money for people that invaded their territory.
>>
>>1634797
>I doubt they were depressed or had to worry about paying money for people that invaded their territory.
dunno having people invade your territory and bash your kids skulls open against a rock while you barely escape as the lone survivor would make anyone depressed
>>
>>1634793
I don't believe how stupid you are, it's actually mind boggling to me.

You do believe that you're working for some greater good and that every person shares this same set of beliefs or at least unwittingly are slaves to this advancement of humanity. I think that literally every person would chose to support their family over supporting this vague idiot concept of humanity every damn day you fucking dimwit. People work for themselves, do you think Einstein did it for humanity? He did it because he enjoyed it. Do you think Joe Icognito wilfully works for his Jewish overlords? No he works for himself and to support his family. I don't even know why I have to explain this
>>
>>1634791
It produces creatively malnourished retards who are super stuck in traditions and who never want anything to change. You know, like you.
>>
>>1634799
If you were that bad at defending your tribe it wasn't meant to be yo dunce, again, natural selection didn't favour a tribe of betas and sissies, the fact that nowadays western men are brought up to be like that is tragic to say the least
>>
>>1634801
>People work for themselves.
HG's didn't. That's why they regularly participated in infanticide and mocked individuals who happened to have gotten a bigger catch of meat then anyone else. You're desperately reaching, it's kinda funny.
>>
>>1634802
Haha, fucking liberals. I bet those guys back then we're really keen on muh soggy knee and borders n sheet. They probably also worried about the Democrats winning.
You fucking leftists are the bane of my existence, so stupid yet so fucking smug
>>
>>1634804
or you know, a single disease, flash flood, gas outbreak and any of the hundreds of other accidents weakened the tribe through no fault of their own
>>
>>1634805
Oh, it's time to deliberately ignore other points in that anons posts again I see.

People's survival was tied to the survival of their family, tribe, community whatever, but it still was about their survival you fucking memer
>>
>>1634801
doesn't matter why they do it, what matters is the reality of the situation
the reality is that without a proper civilization humanity would be stuck slowly going extinct

while right now we're still all steadily climbing upwards
>>
if HG societies are better in every way as some would like to suggest

then why did we ever settle down?
>>
>>1634809
I didn't say that it was fair. Would you make the same point about modern society? You know cancer still exists, lightning strikes do, so do earthquakes and gas leaks (actual gas at that) do you blame your way of life for that? fuck me, I'm arguing with children here
>>
>>1634817
Because it provided better means for survival, still doesn't mean that it's better for human psyche. Tribes were also not always on the run. Agriculture made it possible for more people to survive, therefore more people lived in agricultural societies which in turn gave birth to ours
>>
>>1634818
that the single most alpha tribe made out of almost supermen, the people you'd adore all died because of disease while the nearby beta's survived and thrived in their absence

world isn't fair, that just means the people you'd think would survive, actually wouldn't
>>
>>1634814
So, who cares? I don't give a fuck about niggers in West Africa fucking like rabbits, do you honestly believe that that is anyone's motivation? Humans don't care about people they not have direct contact with, they only care about their community, not about some abstract number of humans.
>>
>>1634821
given the sheer importance of survival to the human psyche, settling down was better for it

the only reason you think otherwise is because you were raised in a society where the constant need for survival quite simply didn't exist so you cannot properly rate its absence as the massive advantage it is
>>
>>1634822
Do you know evolution?
>>
>>1634828
do you know just how much of it is the result of random chance?
>>
>>1634825
Maybe, but honestly survival loses its meaning once you're taken out of the equation. Nowadays your survival depends on society, something you have no say in. I'd rather be responsible for my own life, but it's taken away from us.
>>
>>1634830
Yeah, that's what my implication was. It's not always about who is best but also about who gets lucky, and while it might not be fair it's still part of life, and not just prehistoric life at that
>>
>>1634838
on the other hand you know pleasures such as the ability to go to sleep without wondering if you'll wake up, the knowledge that water is just a trivial action away at all times and the ability to raise a child and have good hopes of it actually reaching adulthood

those are all very healthy to the human psychy

same with the incredible luxury of actually having answers to how the world works
>>
>>1634811
The groups needs came before anything else. They mocked individualism.
>>
>>1634846
It would be more pleasurable if I knew that it was my own responsibility to care for a safe place, and honestly humans are too stupid to understand how the world works, don't even pretend like you do because you don't.
>>1634847
Lmao, I'm sure they let you know of that
>>
>>1634838
>I'd rather be responsible for my own life, but it's taken away from us.
There's really nothing stopping you from moving out into the wilderness and living by the sweat of your own brow
>>
>>1634861
we know vastly better how the world works than in HG times, we can actually get satisfactory answers to a wide variety of questions

and you think it would be more pleasurable because you only consider the additional pleasure to your current state, but fail to realize just how many of your current pleasures that are so integral to your existence you no longer recognize them as such would be gone
>>
>>1634862
There is, people don't live like that anymore, so I'd be alone, nature is also heavily different from back then

I don't know why you meme lords don't understand that. Our world is terrible, it's just the relative safety that keeps us from revolting against those systems, but that safety is dwindling
>>
>>1634865
maybe for you but there's a vast number of people who think our world is a whole lot better
>>
>>1634864
What pleasure do you derive from the fact that you know that bacteria exist, that the sun doesn't revolve around the earth, that there is no God ? What is the fucking pleasure there ? It's all just bullshit, nobody needed to know this, people have been cooking water forever to make it aaf to drink, fire isn't magic and the sun isn't a God, who gives a shit. You understand nothing of value to your current situation.
>>
>>1634868
Yeah, feminists, women, beta males, losers wimps and halfwits, not to forget the illegal immigrant swamping the social systems that were intended for our people.
>>
>>1634847
quit projecting conservacuck
>>1634805
The mocking is to ensure that no one becomes too cocky.
>>
>>1634882
Who are you even trying to attack here you idiot? Are you done building strawmen?
>>
>>1634864
>>1634868
>>1634876
>>1634880

see >>1629472

>>1634862
>be homeless
>attempt to camp in desert
>get shot by state police
>>
>>1628584
Have you ever built a hut, hunted with primitive weaponry or generaly handcrafted tools of any kind?
Plus, I enjoy knowing and thinking, solving complex problems and thinking about concepts far beyond our earlier grasp is fun.
>>
>>1634865
>There is, people don't live like that anymore, so I'd be alone, nature is also heavily different from back then

Take up missionary work in Papua New Guinea, then. You can live in a rough facsimile of HG lifestyle among people who you don't have to worry about eating you alive because they gave up cannibalism and raiding when white people arrived, so it's like the Disneyland preservation of a heterogeneous HG society

>I don't know why you meme lords don't understand that.
I don't know what I said to merit the salty tone. All I said was that there are still human societies which live primitively and if you really, really wanted to live in one, you could.

The truth is that most people don't want to simply exist. They want struggle, they want purpose, they want dominion over their environment and the people around them. They work together, they give up freedoms for security, they organize and work together to push the envelop of the human experience. And they don't want most of their children dying before their 5th birthday.
>>
>>1634882
>The mocking is to ensure that no one becomes too cocky.
Which in turn discourages anyone from ever trying to do anything different or unique. Are you autistic?
>>
>>1634954
>Take up missionary work
and actively destroy the culture at the same time.
>>
>>1634990
>and actively destroy the culture at the same time.
then be a bad one and only distribute medicine and education
>>
>>1634975
and it could you know....stop people from amassing resources and getting greedy and using that power to rule over other people.
>>
>>1634994
That's more useful though.
>>
>>1634882
Umm. if you were actually reading the posts, the person you were replying to isn't really espousing something a conservative would.
>>
>>1634994
and alcoholism and abrahaminsm and monogamy and fiat currency and commercialism and consumerism.
>>
>>1635007
oh don't be melodramatic. People in those cultures still live more or less the same lives that they have lived since times immemorial, but with one notable exception: they are way, way less violent.
http://articles.courant.com/1994-06-07/features/9406070039_1_tribal-societies-violent-death

And if missionary work is too religiously charged for you, sign up with the Peace Corps or something.
>>
File: 1431843915840.jpg (3MB, 4822x3511px) Image search: [Google]
1431843915840.jpg
3MB, 4822x3511px
>>1628707
This is why I think that it's absolutely crucial for humanity to locate another earth like planet to expand to. It would bring us back closer to our roots, while simultaneously keeping our technological advancements. >>1628659 it would be something like this.
Modern technology/society isn't the problem, it's the lack of frontiers.
>>
>>1635002
>>1635002
Yes he is uniformity is the governing thought of reactionaries who dislike non conformists and prefer cultural uniformity for the functional operation of society against divergence from cultural dissidents.
The only reason hunter gather people all look and dress the same way is the absence of an artificial social construct being imposed on them and the subsequent commercial pandering to this.
>>1635021
>more feel good humanitarian work
reeeeeeeee
>>
>>1628536
They "worked" far less than early agricultural societies. Compared to now I wouldn't want it but beats toiling in a field for 15 hours a day
>>
>>1635126
I fail to see how being a reactionary makes you a conservative.
>>
>>1634686
Jared Diamond doesn't view traditional societies in rose-colored glasses. Read The World Until Yesterday.
>>
>>1635164
reĀ·acĀ·tionĀ·arĀ·y
/rēĖˆakSHəĖŒnerē/
adjective
1. (of a person or a set of views) opposing political or social liberalization or reform.
synonyms: right-wing, conservative, rightist, ultraconservative;
>>
>>1635245
A reactionary is someone who opposes political change of any nature, If a conservative decides to push for social change in a socialist nation wouldn't those who would try to stop them be called reactionaries?

this is why its stupid to tie a word that describes a group of individuals who are opposed to political change to one political wing.
>>
>>1635245
reactionary is independent of any poltical mindset, it's only description should be applied to those who are opposed to change. Which is hard press to find, since both parties want change, just change in different directions.

So you could be a liberal reactionary if you would oppose a conservative attempt to liberalize one's market (lowering trade barriers, reducing barriers to entry, reducing regulation, removing price fixing, privatizing some industries, etc.)
>>
>>1635324
Then he/she/it would no longer be a conservative.
Just to be clear conservative does not necessarily mean the Republican Party.
>>
>>1635165
>muh agriculture= worst mistake ever
>>
>>1635356
Except in all likely hood most modern reactionaries are probably stormcucks that worship Hitler and Goering.
>>
>>1635385
Yet it doesn't change the definition of the term. Current Russian commies are also reactionaries
>>
>>1635126
>>more feel good humanitarian work
>reeeeeeeee
Oh look, I propose solutions and all you can do is cynically post memes. How slovenly and disengenuous of you.
>>
>>1635021
The fact that this one group of niggers on a remote island practiced cannibalism also doesn't mean that it was common amongst HG societies. I know it was practiced everywhere but if it's done out of sheer survival instincts you could say the same about our society, where people ate each other after a shipwreck, drank their blood or did the same after surviving other kinds of catastrophes.
It's really astounding how some of you guys believe that humans were so completely different while we're still exactly the same genetically speaking, the only real difference is that we're pampered babies.
>>
File: Aboriginal parenting .png (200KB, 617x1404px) Image search: [Google]
Aboriginal parenting .png
200KB, 617x1404px
>>1628536
Because of historical revisionism. I've heard claims that Aboriginal tribes were 'high civilised societies' in mainstream media
>MEANWHILE
>>
WE
>>
>>1628609

People like to forget that most estimates place the highest sustainable number of Hunter gatherers the world can sustain without slowly driving every other species to existence as being like a hundred million at most. They're terrible from a conservationist point of view
>>
>>1628626

What are plants with antiseptic properties? What are natural antibiotics (molds)?
>>
>>1628536
I might not praise it as functional in a modern society, but I think of it highly because it is the beginning of mankind, of sorts.
>>
>>1636731
>tfw no boy-wife
>>
>>1628536
Because of Marxism. Not even memeing now, Marxists basically argued that hunter-gatherer societies lived in communism and thus it's something worth emulating unlike current "inhuman" capitalistic civilization.
>>
>>1628602
So you mean the chief of the group didn't get moer meat like the head wolf in a pack gets more meat?
>>
>>1628924

>8 hours a day tapping on a keyboard

You forget that during those 8 hours:
>your boss is on you about sales quota
>his boss also comes down to rant on you about quota
>quota is impossible to meet, last employees were fired en masse but you need this job to eat so will try damndest
>beyond quota, your team is full of retards and lazy shits barely able to live beyond their mother's tit
>the clients you deal with - enterprise or residential - want to fucking kill you and your entire corporate hierarchy due to ineptitude combined with unethical business practices made legal by corporate lobbying
>most of the time your communication with customer's/clients is limited to, "I apologize sir but...."
>you can do this for years though, another 20 and you'll be set
>company begins randomly laying off people despite incredible profits
>wages stagnate, workers join unions the rest are now working doubly hard (yay OT pay)
>Corporate decided the best way to deal with the unions and general disgruntlement is to hire different workers
>Your company is now outsourcing to a domestically outsourced firm who's contracts strictly specify "no one can join a union or labor alliance" or "strike to compete for higher wages" barring termination

brb learning how to become HG. I'd rather get starve due to my own direct ineptitude than by the financial/corporate machinations of an elite few.
>>
>>1629207

kek
>>
>>1634805

Do you have a degree in stupid or are you just naturally special?
>>
>>1630731
>we are at the mercy of the environment
>build homes out of brick to stop the wind
>insulate them to stop the cold
>build boats to survive the floods
>able to predict and escape storms
>fund firefighters to beat back wildfire
>build dams to divert rivers
>hunt all predators in the area to extinction
>morph wolves into the most loyal of soldiers and friends
>take a shitload of other animals and make them our slaves for food
>make pesticides to protect our crops
Yeah we're totally helpless to mother nature
>>
>>1635050

Hard to explore other planets when 80% of the current one is wage slaves or less. Don't worry though:
>USAF has a Space Command: USAFSC
>the elite can afford spacecraft (remember that Bronson is pleb tier compared to the Families)

So at least the 'best' of us will get to colonize other worlds and enjoy such a life.
>>
>>1639109
>When you get comfortable you build nuclear power plants next to the ocean and watch them destroyed during a Tsunami and get exposed to tons radioactive cesium released into the ocean for the next 400 years.
>>
>>1636706
>It's really astounding how some of you guys believe that humans were so completely different while we're still exactly the same genetically speaking
What's really astounding is that you think that Papua New Guineans are "niggers" when it's nearly 7500 miles away from Africa. It says a lot about your grasp of sociology as well as your maturity level.

And if you were to look closer at the link I posted, you would have noticed that my assertion is based off of forensic study of human fossils recovered from the prehistoric era, and the picture that it paints is a grim confirmation of Thomas Hobbes assertion that life in a stateless society is nasty, brutish, and short. As much as 15% of all skeletons recovered from before 4,000 BCE show signs of death by homicide, which makes their societies far, far more violent than ours.

Raiding culture was pervasive in these societies and even as late as classical antiquity you still had lily white Europeans in Iberia, Gaul, Briton, Germania, and Scandinavia for whom raiding and violence was a way of life, and once the Romans came along and slaughtered all the men of fighting age and raised their children to be good Romans, the societies that remained universally preferred Roman oppression to the raiding cultures that it supplanted.

> the only real difference is that we're pampered babies.
The word you're looking for is "civilized".
>>
>>1639630
- t. statist
>>
>>1639710
I figured that might trigger some college aged anarcho-head-up-his-ass

Look closer at my source: my assertions are grounded in the same forensic science that holds weight in a court of law.
>>
>>1639771
- .t suposiciĆ³n autista
>>
>>1640652
That's right, keep spouting memes like a trained dog instead of coming up with an argument of substance.
>>
File: Laughrica.gif (4MB, 298x224px) Image search: [Google]
Laughrica.gif
4MB, 298x224px
>>1640701
>>
>>1636731
>You will never cut the underside of your dick and fuck aboriginal boy toys
Thread posts: 285
Thread images: 25

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.