[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

Zen

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 13
Thread images: 2

File: zenmindcdx.jpg (68KB, 498x443px) Image search: [Google]
zenmindcdx.jpg
68KB, 498x443px
Why does Zen Mind Beginners Mind annoy me so much? Is this just pure shite have I been memed?

It just reads like pseudo-philosophy from a "spiritual" edgy 12 year old. Or something a coked up "positive energy" californian val girl would spew out of her vagina to sound 2deep4u.

>“Treat every moment as your last. It is not preparation for something else.”

>“What we call "I" is just a swinging door which moves when we inhale and when we exhale.”
>>
File: aXm5829xjU.jpg (69KB, 650x650px) Image search: [Google]
aXm5829xjU.jpg
69KB, 650x650px
So what is your real non-meme counter argument to so called deep for you statements? Seems like you just hate them for saying something smart.
>>
I think you're just a pretentious dumbass OP
>>
>>1628096
this is exactly what I think of the content of these Zen ramblings.
>>1628088
How is any of this nonsensical tripe smart?

Am I completely missing the point or something.
>>
>>1628078

>Why does Zen Mind Beginners Mind annoy me so much?
Cause is read by someone called "Peter Coyote"?
Sounds like a Robert Rodriguez´s character name.
>>
>>1628107
I think your problem is that you've first perceived this sort of philosophy through "spiritual edgy 12 year olds" and "coked up californian val girls" and therefore dismiss it as rubbish as it sounds like their talk.
>>
>>1628078

They're concepts that become obvious when you practise zen meditation for long enough. Idk why they would be in a beginners guide, I guess to suggest the sorts of insights a beginner might gain by sticking with zen?
>>
>>1628078

I am a Zen Buddhist and think Shunryu Suzuki is pretty dull. However, it's important to remember that his simple statements are his attempt at providing westernized entry-points to the attitude of a very old and nebulous tradition, that involves a constant cultivation of strict discipline and rigorous meditation. Most of its scripture and philosophy is very difficult to understand and appreciate without taking part in that tradition. Zen is partly about humbling yourself to the point that you can see the beauty in the most simple aspects of life. For people weathered by the endless arguments and navel gazing of other philosophical traditions, and the activity of society in general, this philosophy is as welcome as a breath of fresh air.

Not all Zen authors are like that, anyway. Maybe Brad Warner would suit you better.
>>
>>1628321
How long have you done zazen? Do you take breaks or is it every day?
>>
>>1628341

For about 6 years. I try to do it daily but nobody's perfect. Practice intensity changes with the seasons.
>>
>>1628406
Alright, cool. I just started trying meditation about a week ago, once in the morning and evening. I get some leg-pain and numbness but it's going ok.
>>
You would hate the Meditations of Marcus Aurelius.
>>
>>1628321
Buddhism is a santanic religious you scum!
Thread posts: 13
Thread images: 2

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.