[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

The Colombian Exchange

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 9
Thread images: 1

File: Christopher-Columbus.jpg (109KB, 400x300px) Image search: [Google]
Christopher-Columbus.jpg
109KB, 400x300px
So I've been watching a bit of John Greene's Crash Course lately, just meandering through his vids and seeing which one's I agree/disagree with. The board seems more than well ware that he can be just as biased as any other "historian", but one of his vids on the Colombian exchange was actually kind of interesting. Sure, he had the occasional slip of the tongue where he made an implication or undersold on a certain aspect, but overall I thought it was interesting.

But one thing that bothered me during the wrap up towards the end, while he goes down checklist of all the massive changes the exchange caused, was that he never pointed out the elephant in the room; the Colombian exchange was inevitable. Wasn't it?

I mean the vikings got to the new world and settled L'Anse aux Meadows. I think things would have ended up almost as bad for the Natives had the settlement survived, and Europeans used it, rather than the Caribbean as the doorway into the continent.

So my question is, was the exchange really that bad? Was the suffering and unexpected mistakes, on both sides of the Atlantic, possible to be avoided? Was there any hope, as more left leaning thinkers seem to believe, that the Western world could have somehow peacefully opened up relations? Or was the spread of disease that wiped out the natives doomed to cause genocide?
>>
>>1627010
First please do not compare John Green to historians in any way shape or form. His bad annoying jokes, coupled with extremely biased statements under the guise of being "educational for teens" makes me look for the nearest chemotherapy center every time I watch one of his vids.

And yes, the Colombian exchange was inevitable and a good thing. The only reason liberals talk about it so much is because they're trying to find another way to hate on Europe.

The only way it could have been possibly prevented is if the native Americans actually had slightly decent political systems and technology.
>>
>>1627010
Even if the Colombian Exchange was inevitable, it didn't necessarily have to be so actively sadistic.

Columbus had natives digging for gold on Islands that had very little and when they failed he'd slice their hand off. He fed natives to dogs and sold 11 year old native girls as sex slaves.
>>
>I mean the vikings got to the new world and settled L'Anse aux Meadows. I think things would have ended up almost as bad for the Natives had the settlement survived, and Europeans used it, rather than the Caribbean as the doorway into the continent.
I doubt it. The Spaniards and all the others had the technology to just go straight over the Atlantic, they had big ships good for prolonged open sea travel.
When Leif Erikson sighted the Americas people in Europe had ships that needed to take shore far more often, which meant that it would have been quite hard to travel both ways over the Atlantic by not taking the route by Greenland and Iceland, where you could stay and rest at dry land. A route only the Norse peoples had an access to.
So the amount of nations coming over to take their piece of the continent would have been much smaller just like the need to do so as the people living in Scandinavia could just dump their surplus population in other parts of Europe unlike the continental nations a few centuries later. Not to forget that the technological difference would have been much smaller and while germs did the most damage the Native Americans may have had enough time to recover their population somewhat before the main invasion wave came. Not to forget that the Norse may have began trading with the Indians, which may have lead to those people getting some technology and maybe even beasts of burden for themselves.
Suppose it would only matter if the trade involved the agricultural civilizations further to the south.
I hope that makes sense.
>>
>>1627010
>Gooks bring the plague to Europe and it wipes out 60% of the population
>HAHA SILLY SILLY WHITE PEOPLE JUST DIDN'T BATHE AND COLLECT TRASH

>Europeans bring diseases to North America
>OMG GENOCIDE MUH 200 MILLION PAY REPARASHUNS WHITEY
>>
>>1628344
no, that would've just made it a European style apocalypse with ruins all over the place . you can't have 90% of people not being resistant to diseases which they will inevitably get and have society survive.
>>
>>1627010
Remind me how John Green likes his cheerios
>>
>>1627010
It definitely could have gone better. It started off horrible.
>>1628344
>The only way it could have been possibly prevented is if the native Americans actually had slightly decent political systems and technology.

Doesn't matter how good a political system and technology they would have had, when that many people die off of disease that society will break down. Imagine if a plague hit the world and wiped out 90% of the people, and you had mostly rural people and isolated communities survive.
>>
>>1628344
Sorry, I thought I made it clear that I don't view him as a historian. It boggles my mind his videos are used in AP classes. They seem middle school level.

Otherwise, thanks for the responses.
Thread posts: 9
Thread images: 1

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.