[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

Battle fatigue - did it affect soldiers in the ancient world?

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 16
Thread images: 2

File: image.jpg (78KB, 1280x720px) Image search: [Google]
image.jpg
78KB, 1280x720px
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FDNyU1TQUXg

Is he right /his/? Are modern soldiers more likely to suffer from mental stress than ancient ones?
>>
Is lindybeige redpilled?
>>
>>1624310
dunno but he seems to get stupider and stupider as time goes on.maybe hes noticing his popularity and is starting to develop some kind of ego and thinks hes an authority on historical shit
>>
Well I watched the video, he makes a good case.
>>
There are a couple of threads about Lindy's videos. People on this board really hate him and I dont know why. He makes quite a few valid points, and never really claims that his theories are objective fact.

Anyway, yeah that seems like a reasonable assertion to make. Its difficult to know, because the concept of PTSD and mental stress from war never really gained attention until World War One.
>>
>>1618356
>>1624316
>>1624308
>>1613274

Fuck off with your shitty beige threads. Either make one thread for all of them or don't make any. These are worse than Dan Carlin threads, which at least only happen once or twice per week.
>>
>>1624336

He's definitely venturing into topics known to be controversial, but I don't see the problem. He's an entertainer first and foremost, and considering the money he's making, $750 per video through Patreon and $100+ per day on Youtube, he's successful at it.

He's not making videos for the benefit of the historic record, he's not presenting original research, he's making arguments on topics he knows are contentious because they're often more entertaining. They're just thought exercises, something anyone whose taken higher ed history courses should be familiar with.

The people complaining are the same spergs who chimp out over videos games that make concession for game-play over historical accuracy.
>>
File: shellshock2.webm (2MB, 640x360px) Image search: [Google]
shellshock2.webm
2MB, 640x360px
>>1624308

If what we think are the root causes of PTSD are true, it'd probably be more likely for those inside a besieged city to be effected by it than soldiers fighting a pitched battle. Both are obviously traumatic situations, but the constant stress that manifests in 19th/20th century warfare didn't really exist.

As gory as ancient war was, the act of combat isn't the only factor in PTSD, otherwise WW2 bomber crews (who averaged only 10 minutes of actual combat per mission) wouldn't have developed it in numbers higher than other units who saw significantly more bloodshed.
>>
>>1626012
Root causes of PTSD has to do with military organization and hierarchy. It's caused by internal psychic conflicts, not by external pressure. It's about guilt (not from killing other people but from causes like seeing a member of your team die), recognition from sempai, stuff like that. Being physically maimed or hurt actually significantly reduces your chance of getting PTSD.
>>
>>1624310
hes brown pilled
>>
>>1624308
typical anglo intellectual. big mouth small thoughts.
>>
>>1624308
>He makes quite a few valid points, and never really claims that his theories are objective fact.
someone tells you "hey if you eat this rat poison you will be cured"
youd do so
as you lay dying in vomit he says " well i never said it was a true fact, it was just my opinion man"
>>
>>1624308
Good video Lindy, I subscribed! :)
>>
>>1624308
Not watching that memery, but one point I heard about PTSD that is interesting has to do with the types of injury being witnessed. Swing a human body dismembered or torn apart is far more likely to cause trauma that seeing a dead dude with a hole in him.

With that in mind, it makes sense that ancient man, who was also more accustomed to warfare, wouldn't be as fucked up by seeing a bunch of guys with sword wounds or arrows sticking out if them when compared to a soldier in WW1 who finds the limbs and dongs of his best mates after a bomb turns them into hamburger meat.
>>
>>1624310
>>1626902
No he's beigepilled
>>
>>1627400
kek
Thread posts: 16
Thread images: 2

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.