[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

The Tao

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 16
Thread images: 2

File: 473px-Pakua_with_frame.svg.png (22KB, 473x473px) Image search: [Google]
473px-Pakua_with_frame.svg.png
22KB, 473x473px
I believe the Tao is a missing component to many theological systems. The Tao is a guiding principle that allows there to be form and structure to our universe; it's not a creating god, but instead what allowed God to be (whether it be Spinoza's god or Yahweh).

When a Christian talks about the rock so heavy god could not lift it, and how making something contradictory would be against his nature, I think it is ultimately the Tao they are referencing here; a guiding principle greater than God himself.
>>
>>1614650
>what allowed God to be
Wew lad, I didn't think it was possible to fuck up Taoism AND Abrahamic religion so badly, but here it is
>>
>>1614663
The Tao enables all things to be, while doing nothing. That's kind of its central point.
>>
>>1614663
Also, the Tao is not exclusive to Taoism. It appears in several Chinese philosophies.
>>
>>1614727
Because it means way. Not everyone talking about a tao is talking about the taoist Tao.
>>
>>1614745
The idea of it as a guiding principle of reality precedes Taoism, and indeed the idea of Taoism as some sort of cohesive religion/philosophy is much later than most thinkers considered Taoist. Chuang Tzu was considered to be part of a separate tradition from Lao Tzu for quite a long time, for instance.

The idea of the Tao also features prominently in Confucianism, Mohism, and Yangism.
>>
>>1614764
I don't have my Mozi with me but my recollection is he uses tao to describe his idea of correct social norms, and not at all to refer to a universal dynamic.
>>
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Buddhism
>>
God is beyond our understanding, a paradox, he made those rules, he literally can make a rock so heavy he couldn't lift.
>>
>>1614714
>The Tao enables all things to be,
So? God doesn't need to be "enabled." That's kind of the central point of being God
>>
>>1614764
>the Tao also features prominently in Confucianism, Mohism, and Yangism.
Again, so what? The idea of "the good" features prominently in Aristotle, Kant and the utilitarians but they each use it to mean something completely different.
>>
>>1614831
Evidently he does, otherwise he could make a rock that he couldn't lift while still being omnipotent. That's my point.
>>
File: image.jpg (119KB, 500x661px) Image search: [Google]
image.jpg
119KB, 500x661px
>>1614650
>eastern religion
>>
>>1615889
>it's another "i converted to eastern orthodoxy because of my love of warhammer 40k" post
I wonder what else is on.

>>1614831
being Yahweh*
>>
bo [spoiler]skeleton[/spoiler] rp
>>
Fuzzy logic?
Thread posts: 16
Thread images: 2

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.